Hillside Games vs. The Wyvern's Tale: An Update

Jiggawatts

Adventurer
I will only come to Firestorm Cafe and Books if I can bring my copy of SLAP BET

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WM7UKqkd80]Slap Bet the board game - YouTube[/ame]

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
I guess I expect irrational behavior related to things that happen within a very limited geographic scope with nearly trivial financial effect and high school like personal implications to be evaluated by those of a rational mindset before becoming global news.

Being in the Chicago Area I have no reason to care about either store, yet I find two aspects of the coverage here at ENWorld commendable:

1) It is exactly the fact that it is a small game store that they could use backup from a place like ENWorld. Standing up for the little guy gets a plus in my book.
2) Speaking out against cybersquatting is a global issue and examples of such poor behavior and the costs to defend against it serve more than just the area the stores reside within. If nothing else it serves as a cautionary tale to register your domain name as early as possible.

BASHMAN

Basic Action Games
Don't back down so quickly.

Why not start a Kickstarter project to get the needed funds to launch the complaint? I'm sure lots of people would be willing to donate, even if the only "reward" they receive is a thank you note and the warm feeling of seeing that horrible store get dragged through the dirt and lose the URL with much waling and gnashing of teeth. I know I'd donate to it.

Another URL you might think about is "TheRealWyvernsTale.com"

and "BetterThanHillsideGames.com"

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
I'm always annoyed when matters cannot be followed up because the legal funding needed would be too high. But I can understand where they are coming from.

I care about Hillside Games, which is not even on my continent, because this stuff happens all the time in one way or the other, and it is often enough just shrugged off. It hurts the gaming community, CCG/TCG or RPG, because it often leads to one store going out of business and then the one remaining is the one with the rude staff, bad prices and less variety.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
1. I'm sorry I offended your sensibilities Aberzanzorax.
2. "Rising above" means ignoring the idiot and dealing with things constructively. It does not mean "feed into the drama, complain to the public and turn a seven-dollar issue into a news story."

If all people did was "rise above" injustice and other forms of negative behavior, those things would never be corrected because they would never be confronted. Rising above something is almost never part of finding a solution to the actual problem. It's avoiding the problem.

catsclaw227

First Post
Another URL you might think about is "TheRealWyvernsTale.com"

and "BetterThanHillsideGames.com"
I also see that wyvernstalegames.com and thewyvernstalegames.com are available too. They might have been better than thewyvernstaleavl.com

Is the "avl" supposed to mean ashville?

w_earle_wheeler

First Post
OK, so it's the 10th of April, and The Wyvern's Tale has a Facebook page that is updating regularly with game "news" but I still haven't heard of the store opening.

Is there a building and date yet, or is this a case of magical thinking?

Nareau

Explorer
OK, so it's the 10th of April, and The Wyvern's Tale has a Facebook page that is updating regularly with game "news" but I still haven't heard of the store opening.

Is there a building and date yet, or is this a case of magical thinking?
They had their grand opening this past Saturday, to coincide with Free RPG Day. It was a huge success. Tons of people came through, boardgames were sold, and roughly a dozen games were played. They have a pretty great location near downtown, and 5 good-sized rooms for gamers to play in.

Remove ads