CERAMIC DM March 2012

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
I can't get any further with the Kingslayer Chronicles until he gets around to writing a new book, so I have gone onto Ernest Hemingway's "A Farewell to Arms". I read through old pulp books like Robert Sheckley's 'The Status Civilization' while I'm working out on the bike at the gym.

I also finished reading the Labyrinth Lord adventure, "Wheel of Evil", and am reading through "Death Frost Doom" for kicks. I am using DosBox to play fan mods of the Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventure packs so I can play solo through Gary Gygax's old TSR modules and...

Oh god, I am so sadly bored here in Qatar.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Oh god, I am so sadly bored here in Qatar.
You're in Qatar? SO COOL. Sometimes the Internet amazes me.

I have the problem that I'm a literary sponge, so I can't read extensively when doing Ceramic DM. Last time i was re-reading the Travis McGee books and I started to write like John D. McDonald. Same thing with George Macdonald Fraser, Donald E. Westlake, Scott Lynch... It actually screwed up my own style a bit.

Last edited:

Mirth

Explorer
If George RR Martin's Game Of Thrones series is the Citizen Kane of modern fantasy, then Abercrombie's trilogy is Pulp Fiction -- gritty, raw, clever, and unfiltered. Highly recommended.

Sutcliff's Sword At Sunset is her Arthurian masterpiece and I would put it in equal steading with Bradley's Mists Of Avalon and White's Once And Future King. I have a Master's in Literature, specializing in Celtic and Arthurian Studies, so I don't say that lightly, either :)

Try either of those and I swear you won't be bored...

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
I'm in Qatar for one more month, then I am done with this assignment and can return to the land of beer and chili burgers. There is a free book library here and I've used it to catch up on pulp from the 1970s and prior. Some of it has been good, but I haven't read anything I have been wowed by since I finished Joe Haldeman's "The Forever War" a few months back, and Tanith Lee's short story, "The Dry Season" from Lin Carter's Flashing Swords #5: Demons and Daggers. I was blown away by Tanith Lee's grittiness, and so recently picked up her "Storm Lord" novel from the free bin here at base.

First I have to get through Hemingway's "A Farewell to Arms", and I am only on chapter 3. But I can already see why he is considered a genius. The man breaks the laws of the English language, writes in simple words, but weaves such complex and beautifully flowing paragraphs.

Thank you judges for what turned into kind of a nail-biter for me! (If anyone drops out of the next round, I'd be happy to step in. :)) Congrats to my worthy opponent, UselessTriviaMan - you must go forward and win for both of us now, my son...
maxfieldjadenfox, I will try my very best to win for us both. You were a wonderfully fun rival, and you taught me that elderberries are actually quite a pleasant scent!

And a big thank you to the judges for your time, your critiques, and your incredible fashion sense.

Remove ads