Legacy of Death Part IV: Darker than the Absence of Light

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
You eventually clear your self with the city guard and various officials, though there is little in the way of official award for uncovering Elvid's demonic plotting. (In part since there is still a general impression that this is all somehow your fault).

So...you have a partially completed circle of some kind of pattern.

And Nar has the notes of Simon Amber. (Some excerpts behind the button...Lucian...)

[sblock=Amber notes]I will resist this madness that claws at the edge of my mind. These dark waking dreams that have seemed to consume me. It is not merely the death of so many at the Tomb, nor is it the rational, or irrational, implications of the Tome. It is something else, something creeping through the world. I now simply have the faculties to realize it.

While the cosmos may have many parts, its “one-ness” has been identified as a fundamental characteristic since the time of the first cosmologist in Patheria centuries ago. Ergo, all things that are cosmic in nature are shared throughout, even as the evidence has built that the workings of reality do vary greatly from one bit to another, much like the climate or terrain may change as one travels across Thraeya. So the True Gods have cosmic influence, even if various saints, demon lords, and so forth, may have much narrower and variable power. But now I cannot help but wonder if there could be another cosmos? Of course, there could be anything, but if there is never any chance of interaction or influence, it is a point beyond academic. So the real question is, is there interaction?

To re-enter into that dark shadow would consume me and surely lead to a death more imminent then the one I face…Even as I have freed myself of the Tome—may it sit securely in the Melkar House Library—my obsessions with dark rifts in the cosmos will not abate. I am also now convinced that Acererak had great knowledge of these rifts, even in his decrepit state…..

One may question if Moil ever had any kind of “virtue”, the caliber of its great scholars not withstanding…the fact that not only did it suffer the devastation inflicted on all Demoria, but was also cast into shadow of the most dread kind, presumably has some implications. One may wonder, as a “City of Necromancers” as it was openly referred to in the waning days of Demoria’s great decadence, if its great curse was not in fact self inflicted…Clearly Moil retains some relevance in all this. I know not exactly what. With the Tome, I could almost certainly find my way there. Yet surely I would only find the most appalling part of the Aether, and even if a mystery was solved, what horrible questions would be raised?

The dark Aetherial stain is too evident. In my darkest paranoia, I wondered if the Tome itself was responsible. It could certainly accelerate the spread!

I write this with some clarity, having set aside the Tome, but not all the thoughts it plagued me with. Somewhere deep in the cosmos, a great flood of necrotic energy has spread through the shadow Aether. One is tempted to point to the action of a god or incarnate, but even that would seem to be insufficient, at least as the direct cause. This would seem to require a great act of death. Beyond that which any Thraeyan may yet imagine. Again, a distant divine war, as written of in ancient texts? For this event seems distant, with the effects slowly filtering through reality. Again, in this moment of some clarity, my own feelings, one could even called visions, of a bizarre and misshaped world, struck by a great cataclysm, a cataclysm to great that it ripped a rift in the cosmos, seems so far-fetched…yet, it remains my best guess.

I have little doubt that, somehow, others have become aware of this Tome, inspite of my best efforts otherwise. Smedley and his cronies make me nervous. And those shadowy shapes that seem to follow me…just my imagination?

There is a path. There is a nexus. What should be a twisting, turning way no mortal could ever follow through. Like wandering through tracked mountains. But a tunnel has been bored through the Aether. I can no longer dwell on these implications.

The Tome of Shadows. Rumored from the early Illumarian period. Undoubtedly what I have. But what is it? Whither its core? No obvious author can account for what is there. It is almost certainly taken from a Demorian source, but what Demorian could even know what is there? An extract perhaps, but again from what? [/sblock]

Link to the last thread: The last two session summaries are on the first page…as is the last set of Tome/Book stuff (if you need help remembering what is going on).

The out of character thread.

dyermaker001

Explorer
After sharing the information from Amber's notes with the others, Nar-Heru will scour the tome for

1. any hints towards a way to complete the circle
  2. and possible travel to Moil
  3. the "nexus" amber writes about
  4. any more information on the "Smedley" that Amber writes about.

Nar-Heru will include Douvan in the conversation as well, especially concerning, Amber, Smedley, and the tome.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Given that Nar is a super-genius, or something, at some point you will probably remember that Smedley Tallhat was Kalarel's real name.

You eagerly make progress on the circle. You believe that it may very well lead to Moil, as per your earlier hypothesis (again...super-genius). This excites the book and you.

As for what else Amber is going on about...I guess we will see about this whole super-genius thing.

kaltfeuer

First Post
Dark Places

We know what lurks in shadowy places, don't we, my love? It sounds like we shall be dealing with denizens of false, unholy life. <brief cooing at Shayera> Let's set to work!

<Ghen starts a ritual to create holy water.>

ecayford

First Post
"Nar and Ghen, do you see any possible connection between what you've learned here and the rising of my long dead ancestors which currently plagues my clan? We need to find a way to stop this before our defences are overrun. Despite or because of my brother's assurances, I do not believe they will long hold."

dyermaker001

Explorer
Nar-Heru ponders Forge's question, as he casually tosses a small magical flame from hand to hand. Spark sits on his shoulder intently following the flame. As once toss comes close to Spark, a tendril of Flame shoots out from the familar and engulfs the wizard's toy. Nar-Heru grins and looks up.

"Everything seems to point to that, Forge. As Amber wrote, necrotic energy seems to be pouring through a tunnel in the aether. I think we need to follow the tunnel back to it's source which I think might be the lost city of Moil. Once there, we can shut down the source. Once I can complete this portal circle, it may take us there. We also know that the Githyanki involved in some way. They are after my book, perhaps to stop us from learning more, or to use it themselves."

Nar-Heru seems quite proud of himself as he lectures Forge and anyone else that will listen.

"If you'll excuse me, I need to get back to my research and preparation "

Nar will spend time with the book, but also will try and create the Burning Gauntlets he's wanted for so long.

Flaming Bob

First Post
Lucien listens quietly to Nar's dissertation. After thinking silently through things, he blurts "Fire. We'll need more fire."

He then bounds off into the street.

kaltfeuer

First Post
Dazed?

Ghen appears not to have heard Nar's dissertation or Forge's question. The flask of potential holy water is sitting idle, and he's grinning vaguely as Shayera nibbles on his ear. He makes an automated attempt to stir the water without really looking down at it. As he coos at Shayera, he disappears briefly. Shayera seems to glow, then Ghen reappears and is glowing. His wings are briefly visible as he lights up Shayera's ether. He looks around at everyone, and says:

"I have a plan ... as soon as we return from Moil! It will be glorious... I hope you will all join me!"

Then, he looks up at Shayera for confirmation, and back down at the holy water. He continues stirring, uninterrupted by anything that transpired.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases