What are YOUR Favorite Items (and edition of each item)?

KarinsDad

Adventurer
List a few if you'd like. What items are D&D to you and hence should be considered for 5E?

Take into consideration coolness factor, best thing that ever happened with said item, etc.

It's hard to pick a favorite, but I'd have to go with:

1E Vampiric Ring of Regeneration

for a Fighter, I could fight all day with it.

2E Daern's Instant Fortress

a safe haven for the night and Knock no longer affected it. My PCs can overcome a lot of challenges as long as they are rested, but getting attacked while asleep just plain sucked. ;)

1E Cloak and Boots of Elvenkind were up there as well for coolness (3E and later editions, meh). :cool:

Yora

Legend
I'd say stuff that raises your ability scores or skills.

Which are really not that interesting, but the only ones that seem really useful.

tlantl

First Post
Some of my favorites are the robe of eyes and the robe of useful items, both from 1e. I also have a great fondness for my +1 fishing rod.

Oh, and the folding boat.

Psychic tattoos, burst and returning weapons, from 3e.

FireLance

Legend
The Holy Avenger, of course!

With respect to extra damage, I prefer 3e's Holy weapon property (+2d6 to evil creatures) to 2e's +10 to Chaotic Evil opponents and 4e's +1d10 radiant damage to powers with the radiant keyword.

With respect to the defensive abilities, 2e's magic resistance of 50% is probably too powerful, 3e's spell resistance of 5 + paladin level is probably too weak, and 4e's +5 power bonus to all non-AC defenses was probably about right power-wise, but was too infrequent (1/day) and I didn't like the minor action activation. An immediate interrupt 1/encounter would have been much better, IMO.

The ability to dispel magic just seemed ... odd, although it was probably an attempt to even the playing field when facing evil spellcasters. The 4e version had no dispel magic ability, and replaced it with allowing the paladin to spend a healing surge on a crit. All these powers seem to me to be a little too passive for a weapon called a Holy Avenger. I guess that every version of the weapon across the editions has seemed a little lacking because of that.

It has just occured to me that the above seems rather harsh, especially since I'm supposed to be talking about my favorite magic item. I guess I'm more taken with the idea of the Ultimate Holy Weapon for a paladin than I have been with any of the various actual implementations that I've encountered across the years.

ArmoredSaint

First Post
Since you didn't specify that I had to pick a magic item... ;)

I'm going to go with Full Plate Armour from 1st Edition AD&D's Unearthed Arcana. DR 2 per die of damage rolled? Yes, please!

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
Magic Items

Bag of Tricks - 1E
Black Razor - 1E Stormbringer for D&D
Hat of Disguise - 1E
Ring of the Ram -1E, 4E is ok too
Decanter of Endless Water, Boots of the North, Iron Bands of Bilarro, Apparatus of Kwalish,
Iron Flask, Universal solvent, Eversmoking Bottle, Murlynd's Spoon, Figurine of Wondrous Power, especially Ebon Fly, Iridescent Spindle Ioun Stone (no need to breathe), and Wand of grease are all great.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
Sword of Wounding
Sword of Dragonslaying
Ring of Invisibility
Cloak of the Manta
Horn of Ventriliquism
Blackflame Armor
Sword of Human Slaying:devil:
Vorpal Sword
Murlynd's Spoon:D
Gauntlets of Ogre Power
Girdle of Strength
Staff of the Magi
Cloak of the Magi
Storm Armor
Magical Elven Mail
Magical Dwarven Plate
Boots of Striding and Springing
Boots of Speed
Staff of the Magi
Cloak of the Magi
Bag of Holding

:cool:

Last edited:

FireLance

Legend
El Mahdi said:
What about a Firelance...? A +6 Spear of Radiant Flame. ;)
Heh. In 3e, it would have been a +5 keen, holy, flaming burst lance. :)

This thread also reminded me of a couple of magic items possessed by one of my 2e characters: a satyr Xaositiect bard (? - most likely) in a Planescape campaign. They weren't all that useful in combat, but they made him memorable.

The first was an Everlasting Peanut, basically, a peanut that would become whole after it was cracked open and eaten, effectively giving the possessor a never-ending supply of peanuts. That turned my character into an inveterate snacker. Wherever he went, whatever he was doing, he would be munching on a peanut.

The second was a set of Pipes of Sounding, which could produce any sound he desired. He liked them so much that the session after he got them, he (and I, the player) spoke only in sound effects. (Yes, I'm amazed that I managed to pull that off, too.) :p

Remove ads