[io9] 10 of the most awesome sword fight scenes

Banshee16

First Post
10 of the Most Awesome Sword Fight Scenes Ever

Not enough Asian movie love but a good list.

Definitely some good ones in there. But they're missing some great ones, some of whom are better, IMO, than some of those that have been identified.

Several of them in Mask of Zorro.....Zorro against Don Raphael, Zorro against Captain Love in the palace. One of the nice things about the Mask of Zorro was that the sword fighting had a more accurate depiction than in many films.

Last of the Samurai. The battle between Tom Cruise's character and four samurai, when he's walking around at night in Tokyo.

There are some excellent sword fighting scenes in Alatriste.

Balian vs Guy de Lusignan at the tail end of Kingdom of Heaven is a pretty cool depiction of the power of longswords. What I liked about the sword fighting in this movie is that it emphasized that the knights weren't simply hacking each other...but that there was a lot of philosphy and training going into their techniques.

The final duel in Rob Roy is excellent.

Banshee

Banshee16

First Post
Another good one....a viking duel in 13th Warrior ([ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sp1mzx5O4ao&feature=related]13th Warrior - Viking Duel - YouTube[/ame])

Banshee

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Pretty much any "Zorro" movie done correctly would have a kick ass sword fight.

Here is the one from the 1940 Mark of Zorro.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McDfLkLqJAE[/ame]

Style

Explorer
Arnie vs. Brigitte in Red Sonja!! That was fantastic and I am appalled that it did not make the list. Appalled!!!

I actually like the list as it stands with a few minor things. "The Matrix Reloaded" sword fight was more camera than fight and could be removed for anything Zorro in any incarnation. (TV, movie, serial).

"Afro Samurai" could be pulled only because no one actually swings a real sword. Sure the animation was alright, but, no one actually sweats, moves or has the possibility of getting hit with a stray bad swing. Heck, "Mighty Moron Power Rangers" belongs on the list ahead of this, and that makes me feel very, very dirty for saying that.

Glad there was few Asian inspired fights, frankly the one that's on here makes my blood boil, but it's no secret I hate wire-fu in all it's unbelievable glory. The "Last Samurai" sword fight always rubbed me the wrong way, there are some brilliant battle sequences in that movie but the whole "See the fight" slow motion action before the actual fight was a little cheesy to me. One I would have loved to have seen was the first major fight scene from "Seven Samurai"; simple, brutal, beautiful (and it has Tashiro Mifune).

I would have loved to have seen anything from the 1970s "Three Musketeers" movies. Some of those scenes were pure brilliance, heck even the Walt Disney version had a couple of decent ones, but the newest one just blew chunks.

I also agree that "The 13th Warrior" or "Kingdom of Heaven" fights would have been good additions.

Remove ads