Unhappy with my character

Rev Bolyard

First Post
So I'm in a Carrion Crown Campaign - book 3.

My character is a human spellbreaker inquisitor (level 7) of Pharasma with the spellkiller inquisition

We're only running with 3 characters so the GM has given us certain "extras" to help out (roll 5d6, reroll 1s and 2s, plus 4 traits (none are campaign specific)

Here goes:

STR: 20
DEX: 18
CON: 18
INT: 13
WIS: 18
CHA: 16

Traits:
Killer
Hunters Blood
Indomitable Faith
Mathmatical Prodigy

Feats:
Power Attack
Martial Prof: Scythe
Cleave
Dodge
Great Cleave

Major equipment:
+1 Keen Mithril Scythe
+1 Mithril Breastplate
Cloak of Resistance +3

Our party consists of a human fighter meat shield and a human blaster/buffer sorcerer - so ideally I would deal tons of damage. But I'm not. I'm missing ALOT (mostly because of poor rolls), but when I DO hit I'm not doing nearly the damage I thought that I would. I also don't know how to figure all that damage stuff that I read about with the DPR Olympics.

So where did I go wrong? I really wanted a human inquisitor that uses a scythe and deals big damage but who can also can help lockdown spellcasters. I've been using bane and tons of judgements though...

Are there better feast I could have chosen or traits perhaps?

Dingo333

First Post
So your to hit (with bane active) should be about +11 with damage around 2d4+2d6+1+7+2+6 (average 28, range 20-36)

I do not know what the kind of foes you face in carrion crows are (I assume undead with your choice of Hunter's Blood trait) but I would have taken Religion Trait Corpse Hunter over Indomitable Faith simply because you have a good will save and your casting is wis based (should be about +12 without the trait bonus)

As for feats, why the cleave line. Unless your caster is regularly casting enlarge person on you cleaving is hard to get full use from.

I suggest casting flames of the faithful often (adds flaming burst to the scythe, 1d6 always and 3d10 on crit)

In addition you want to use Justice judgement in each combat, next level also use destruction for more damage.

What teamwork feats do you use?

SteelDraco

First Post
My character is a human spellbreaker inquisitor (level 7) of Pharasma with the spellkiller inquisition

We're only running with 3 characters so the GM has given us certain "extras" to help out (roll 5d6, reroll 1s and 2s, plus 4 traits (none are campaign specific)

Here goes:

STR: 20
DEX: 18
CON: 18
INT: 13
WIS: 18
CHA: 16

Traits:
Killer
Hunters Blood
Indomitable Faith
Mathmatical Prodigy

Feats:
Power Attack
Martial Prof: Scythe
Cleave
Dodge
Great Cleave

Major equipment:
+1 Keen Mithril Scythe
+1 Mithril Breastplate
Cloak of Resistance +3

Our party consists of a human fighter meat shield and a human blaster/buffer sorcerer - so ideally I would deal tons of damage. But I'm not. I'm missing ALOT (mostly because of poor rolls), but when I DO hit I'm not doing nearly the damage I thought that I would. I also don't know how to figure all that damage stuff that I read about with the DPR Olympics.

So where did I go wrong? I really wanted a human inquisitor that uses a scythe and deals big damage but who can also can help lockdown spellcasters. I've been using bane and tons of judgements though...

Are there better feast I could have chosen or traits perhaps?

You don't have much that boosts attack bonuses. Keep in mind that an inquisitor is going to lose attack bonus compared to a fighter - you're average BAB instead of good, so that's 2 points of attack you're down on the fighter right off the bat. You have a high Strength, though not too huge - do you have a Strength item yet? I'd expect most PCs to have an item that increases their most important stat by 7th level. If you want to be the party's damage person, that's Strength. 22 is a good break point for a two-handed weapon user, too, since a +6 bonus becomes a +9 bonus to damage with a two-handed weapon, instead of +5/+7 for a 20 Strength.

Using Power Attack boosts damage, but if you're not hitting consistently it's not worth it. Start without it, see if you're hitting regularly in combat, then start using it.

Remember that Bane gives +2 to attack as well as the damage bonus, since it increases your weapon's enhancement bonus against the target creature type. It effectively gives you +2 attack and an extra 2d6+2 damage. Something to remember.

What spells are you using regularly? Divine Favor helps with attack bonus, but it's a bit of a pain to cast it every combat. Wrath stacks with Divine Favor. You have 3rd level spells, which opens up Heroism - a decent buff, though it doesn't stack with Wrath, but it has a much longer duration.

Spending a feat for proficiency with the scythe is pretty expensive. I would have considered playing a character who got that proficiency from his deity, or used a different weapon entirely, one you didn't have to take Martial Weapon Prof for. Heck, a follower of Pharasma who uses the favored weapon of Uragotha (god of the undead and mortal enemy of Pharasma) probably gets a long of strange looks from his co-workers.

I probably would have taken Weapon Focus instead of Dodge, unless you're heading for something that requires Dodge. Cleave and Great Cleave are only so-so feats now, so I probably would have gone for Step Up instead if you're fighting spellcasters - that means they can't just 5' step away from you and blast you.

Rev Bolyard

First Post
Upon reading the responses I realized I hadn't actually been adding half STR for using a two handed weapon. So I had only been using a +5 bonus, instead of the +7

So your to hit (with bane active) should be about +11 with damage around 2d4+2d6+1+7+2+6 (average 28, range 20-36)

I'm confused on the damage. 2d4 for the Scythe + 2d6 for Bane + 1 for weapon + 7 for STR + 2 for ? + 6 for ?

I apologize if these are elementary questions, but I'm pretty new to the game.

I do not know what the kind of foes you face in carrion crows are (I assume undead with your choice of Hunter's Blood trait) but I would have taken Religion Trait Corpse Hunter over Indomitable Faith simply because you have a good will save and your casting is wis based (should be about +12 without the trait bonus)

As for feats, why the cleave line. Unless your caster is regularly casting enlarge person on you cleaving is hard to get full use from.

Yeah, Cleave has let me down. ALOT. I had assumed I would get surrounded more, but after I hacked a few things... obviously the GM stopped doing that, so it's been almost worthless.

I suggest casting flames of the faithful often (adds flaming burst to the scythe, 1d6 always and 3d10 on crit)

In addition you want to use Justice judgement in each combat, next level also use destruction for more damage.

What teamwork feats do you use?
I don't use teamwork feats since I have the spellbreaker archtype.

Last edited:

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
That last +6 to your damage is from using Power Attack (as you have a +5 BAB and are using a two-handed weapon, your damage bonus from Power Attack is +6).

Also, please don't colorize your posts in red. Red text is reserved for EN World's moderators (usually when giving warnings).

EDIT: I forgot to mention, the other +2 is from your bane ability, as that also increases your weapon by a +2 enhancement bonus to hit and damage.

Last edited:

Rev Bolyard

First Post
Thanks for the help!
You don't have much that boosts attack bonuses. Keep in mind that an inquisitor is going to lose attack bonus compared to a fighter - you're average BAB instead of good, so that's 2 points of attack you're down on the fighter right off the bat. You have a high Strength, though not too huge - do you have a Strength item yet? I'd expect most PCs to have an item that increases their most important stat by 7th level. If you want to be the party's damage person, that's Strength. 22 is a good break point for a two-handed weapon user, too, since a +6 bonus becomes a +9 bonus to damage with a two-handed weapon, instead of +5/+7 for a 20 Strength.

What items might you suggest? I thought all the boosting items (like belt of giant STR, ect) were limited use items and expired after 24 hours?

Using Power Attack boosts damage, but if you're not hitting consistently it's not worth it. Start without it, see if you're hitting regularly in combat, then start using it.

That is helpful, I had always just been leading with it unless I had charged.

Remember that Bane gives +2 to attack as well as the damage bonus, since it increases your weapon's enhancement bonus against the target creature type. It effectively gives you +2 attack and an extra 2d6+2 damage. Something to remember.

Yeah, I had been using Bane, but for some reason only giving myself credit for 2d6 with it.... and not adding the +2

What spells are you using regularly? Divine Favor helps with attack bonus, but it's a bit of a pain to cast it every combat. Wrath stacks with Divine Favor. You have 3rd level spells, which opens up Heroism - a decent buff, though it doesn't stack with Wrath, but it has a much longer duration.

When I have trouble hitting, I've used inflict moderate wounds...
I cast invisibility alot... those two basically burn all my 2nd level spells
I use inflict serious wounds and blessing of the mole for my 3rd level spells

Spending a feat for proficiency with the scythe is pretty expensive. I would have considered playing a character who got that proficiency from his deity, or used a different weapon entirely, one you didn't have to take Martial Weapon Prof for. Heck, a follower of Pharasma who uses the favored weapon of Uragotha (god of the undead and mortal enemy of Pharasma) probably gets a long of strange looks from his co-workers.

I didn't realize Uragotha and Pharasma disliked each other that much. I really liked the idea of using a scyther in a gothic horror quest line and thought it matched Pharasma well... even though her preferred weapon is a dagger

I probably would have taken Weapon Focus instead of Dodge, unless you're heading for something that requires Dodge. Cleave and Great Cleave are only so-so feats now, so I probably would have gone for Step Up instead if you're fighting spellcasters - that means they can't just 5' step away from you and blast you.

So if you're using Weapon Focus and Step Up to replace Dodge and Cleave, what might you suggest to have taken instead of Great Cleave?

Last edited:

Rev Bolyard

First Post
That last +6 to your damage is from using Power Attack (as you have a +5 BAB and are using a two-handed weapon, your damage bonus from Power Attack is +6).

Also, please don't colorize your posts in red. Red text is reserved for EN World's moderators (usually when giving warnings).

EDIT: I forgot to mention, the other +2 is from your bane ability, as that also increases your weapon by a +2 enhancement bonus to hit and damage.

Thanks for the help! And I didn't realize that about the red text

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
You've misunderstood the nature of stat-boosting magic items. Things like a belt of giant strength are treated as temporary bonuses for the first 24 hours that they're worn - after that they are treated like permanent bonuses (until you take them off, at which point you lose the bonus altogether - putting it back on makes it be treated as a temporary bonus for the first 24 hours again).

What's the difference between a temporary bonus and a permanent bonus? Scroll down about halfway on this page about ability scores and you'll see sections about temporary and permanent bonuses under each ability score listing.

In regards to what feats are good choices after you've taken Weapon Focus and step up, check out this handy feat tree.

Squire James

First Post
If you are going to use Power Attack a lot, consider Furious Focus. It eliminates the Power Attack hit penalty for the first two-handed weapon attack each round. Given your BAB won't be much to write home about, you really only have 1 decent attack for quite a while!

Ramaster

Adventurer
If you are going to use Power Attack a lot, consider Furious Focus. It eliminates the Power Attack hit penalty for the first two-handed weapon attack each round. Given your BAB won't be much to write home about, you really only have 1 decent attack for quite a while!

This. Also, consider the Vital Strike Feat-Chain. Use the move action to get into flanking position and then unleash a brutal 4d4+ALOTOFDMGLOL 20x4 attack. If you claim to have problems hiting your enemies, then it won't be worth to try to get decent iterative attacks.

A couple multiclass levels into fighter will net you two nifty feats to rework your PC, plus some good BAB to hit more often. If you take them, may I suggest Lore Warden, the Archetype that rocks your world.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases