RPG Headlines for Tuesday, 27 March, 2012

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
A round-up of recent RPG news.
  • The D&D 5E Info page has been updated again with the latest snippets of D&D Next information.
  • There's a bunch of new projects over at RPG Kickstarters, the site which tracks all the Kickstarters which are RPG-related. These include some new RPGs, an M&M sourcebook, recreation of art from Deities & Demigods, a convention, and a whole bunch more.
  • While we're on the subject of Kickstarters, our own Kickstarter project Admiral o' the High Seas, a sourcebook for Pathfinder and 4E naval advantures, has reached its second stretch goal. This means we're able to include our ship creation rules. Our next goal is a bit harder to achieve - if we get to $5000 we'll also be able to add in fleet rules for when sending just a few dozen men to their watery graves just isn't enough! We have just six days left, and nearly $2000 to go, so if you were holding off pledging please don't dally!
  • Prolific RPG blogger Sarah Darkmagic is celebrating the third anniversary of her blog. Congrats!
  • As usual, there's an enormous pile of updates from Necromancers of the Northwest:
    • This week's Extraordinary Feats is devoted to giving a little support to characters of class and nobility. Whether you're looking for ways to augment your prince-in-disguise PC, or are just looking for some good feats for the petty nobles your party will be interacting with next session, these feats are for you.
    • Have you ever wanted a sorcerer bloodline that was a little more specific? Not just "someone in your family got really friendly with a monster," but more like "this in particular family's bloodline is gifted with a certain kind of sorcerous power." Well, this week's Best in Class delivers with the Scion of Beltova and the Descendant of Marbus.
    • This week's Obscure Arcana features five new spells designed with nobility in mind. From the somewhat effete (but nonetheless useful) alter apparel to the grandiose aura of imposition and aura of majesty, or the insidious dominate peasant, there's no reason for these spells to remain the exclusive purview of the upper classes any longer.
    • After a certain amount of time, even the most ascetic of adventurers tends to accumulate quite a bit of clutter. Last week's Obscure Arcana gives them some things to do with it, from the animate trinket spell to the value seeking Ardesalf's instant appraisal, or the ever-so-useful extraplanar stash.
    • Do you know the feeling of falling into a pit of acid (or worse) and losing all your clothes all too well? Or maybe you just don't like to leave home unless you're decked out in at least a dozen pieces of magic gear? Whatever the case, this week's Magic Market provides five new pieces of affordable magical clothing, from the boots of long travel to the crown of memory.
    • Let's face it: monks don't get a lot of love. These unarmored warriors can use all the help that they can get, and that's why last week's Extraordinary Feats is focused on feats for monks and other warriors who fight with their fists and forsake heavy and cumbersome armors.
    • So you want to be a barbarian, eh? You think you have what it takes? You think you're strong enough, tough enough, and fast enough to be a barbarian? Well you're not! But you could be. Last week's Best in Class is devoted to bringing out the barbarian in you, from the crazed fanatic, who flies into a zealous rage, to the horse-loving saddleborn, or the practically unkillable trollsworn.
    • This summon-tastic obscure arcana features no less than eight conjuration spells, mostly of the summoning subschool. Whether you want to summon a marilith for a brief but potent slaughter, or summon a mephit or genie for long-term service, or even if you just want to run with the wild hunt, you'll find these options, and more, in last week's Obscure Arcana.
    • Ever wanted a backpack that could produce any item you need at a moment's notice? Or a magic jar that spews forth endless vermin to harry your foes? What about a quick and disposable way to teleport people and objects over large distances? You'll find all this and more in the conjuration-themed Magic Market.
    • Extraordinary Feats is devoted to the school of conjuration, and provides a number of different options for improving your conjuring, or, if you're not already familiar with the summoning arts, provides some alternate ways to get your foot in the door.
    • Wish your Pathfinder witch was a little more beholden to her mysterious patrons? Think that a little demon- and spirit-summoning would be cool, too? Well, look no further than the pact-bound witch, a new archetype for witches that puts them a little more in touch with things out of this world.
    • Phew. I think that's all of them....
  • Margaret Weiss Productions now has a Facebook page.
  • The ENnies have an interview with James Bell of Fiery Dragon Productions.

Brix

Explorer
I'm starting to loose interest in 5E. I've answered a lot of vague questions, but nothing substantial comes on wizard's behalf. Give us something to play with, and you'll get your feedback. I'm sick of waiting years for a product to come out. I also want to buy that new FR stuff, how about making that stuff available for non-subscribers? This really starts to annoy me.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
I'm starting to loose interest in 5E. I've answered a lot of vague questions, but nothing substantial comes on wizard's behalf. Give us something to play with, and you'll get your feedback. I'm sick of waiting years for a product to come out.

So would you rather they just shove the product out and not spend the time they have trying to get it right? They can't catch a break; with 4e, they were lambasted for supposedly releasing it without much playtesting or feedback from the public. Now, the complaints are starting that they're taking too much time playtesting and soliciting feedback from the public. They also made it clear early on that the public playtest documents wouldn't be available until later.

Plus there is precedent in the length of time spent playtesting and a game's success. 3e and, more recently, Pathfinder both took a good while to playtest, and PF especially drew praise for soliciting feedback from the public. The D-Team for 5th edition is being more cautious in releasing their public playtest document because they're doing something different from what the PF team did - PF was taking an already successful game and smoothing out some rough spots and adding in some nifty new bits. The 5e design team is coming from another direction, attempting to find what worked from all editions and see how it all fits together. No disrespect to the PF team intended - PF is a great game - but in my opinion the task the 5e team has is much more daunting.

Gaming Tonic

First Post
I'm starting to loose interest in 5E. I've answered a lot of vague questions, but nothing substantial comes on wizard's behalf. Give us something to play with, and you'll get your feedback. I'm sick of waiting years for a product to come out. I also want to buy that new FR stuff, how about making that stuff available for non-subscribers? This really starts to annoy me.

I can guarantee that the point of not releasing the playtest material to the public yet is not to annoy you. The playtest material was very rough and at least some specifics needed to be nailed down before releasing to the public or more uproar would be caused. I found out about 5E and did some playtest for the first time in December, WotC announced it officially in early January so it hasn't been very long at all. They exposed even more fans to playtest material at the DDXP and then obviously need to reflect on that feedback before sending out materials to the public. Patience, it hasn't been long at all.
As far as purchasing the new FR stuff goes that along with the tools like the Character Builder and Compendium are what are offered to subscribers. If was given to everyone then there wouldn't be much point to selling subscriptions but perhaps suggesting that they bundle it in a pdf or a magazine like how Dragon used to be would offer a solution instead of just a complaint. Going forward I feel WotC is going to listen to the fans a lot more you just have to offer a solution.

Brix

Explorer
Hardisson, your are right with your observance, it's a different beast. But you know they already have a playable document for a long time. I read through all those vage blogs and answered the questions, but I don't see a point in doing that anymore.
Even if 10.000 people choose "I want a cool spellpoint system" in one of these polls, the final system could still be crap. I can only give concrete feedback on concrete information. These tiny bits of information we get at the moment have only one goal: to create buzz and keep the flame burning.
And one should not announce such a daunting project, if there is nothing substantial crunch behind it.
At least I'm am dissapointed by the lack of information about 5E.

Brix

Explorer
GameTonic, it seems that they listen now better than before.

However the subscription system excludes many gamers, because it is not flexible. Maybe I would have subscribed to a FR-bundle. Actually I asked for that some years ago in a phone call with none other than Greg Leeds.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Wow. How did a general RPG news headlines news article turn into a discussion about 5E playtests?

Congratulations to Sarah Darkmagic on her three years of blogging!

Brix

Explorer
Morrus, you have to be more investigative with your general news! Break into the wizard's hqs and get the documents out. You will be rewarded with many visitors on enworld that day, I promise!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Morrus, you have to be more investigative with your general news! Break into the wizard's hqs and get the documents out. You will be rewarded with many visitors on enworld that day, I promise!

If I did, it wouldn't be in the general news! This news article is about various community stuff, not WotC's playtests.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases