D&D 5E Who's given up on D&D Next?

imurphy943

First Post
It sounded like a good idea at first. I thought that I might be able to just house-rule out the stuff I don't like and house-rule in stuff I do, and get something not too far from the system. Looking around, though, I really don't think it will be possible to unite the fractured fanbase this way, and that trying to please everybody will just result in smutto. On the other hand, if they don't try to please everybody, I'm probably going to be one of the people they don't try to please.

Let's get a few things straight:
I don't want D&D Next to fail.
I'm not ranting about how awful 5e is going to be.
I'm not criticizing anyone's personal taste or opinion.
I don't think that D&D Next is going to fail.
I have decided to just play the games I've been playing, since everything I currently want is already there.
I am probably not the target audience for 5e, and I don't need to stick my opinion into everyone's face in an attempt to make myself the target audience.
I don't want to discuss the future of D&D, or what D&D Next will be like.
I originally posted this in General RPG discussion, but it was moved here anyway. Perhaps correctly, I don't really care. Please don't comment on the location of the thread.
I believe that Mike and Monte are genuinely good guys who want what's best for the hobby, and I would like nothing more than for people to just accept each other's gaming styles and end the edition wars. I just don't think that adding another system is the way to do that.

If I'm looking for a classic-style muscle car and the people building have mostly only ever made modern-style cars, and another one of those seems to be what most people want, then there is nothing irrational in the assumption that the end product isn't going to be what I'm looking for.

I posted to see whether anyone else shared these opinions.

I, Isaac Murphy, and my current character, Reverend W. Wilks, halfling cleric, have decided to stop participating in D&D Next. We feel no more need to play the 'official D&D game' than we did when D&D 4th came out, and D&D Essentials after that. It would be nice to get some token from Wizards that our style of play is supported, but that really isn't necessary. We wish only to play the great game in our own way, without, necessarily, any endorsement from or of Wizards of the Coast.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Is it possible to start an edition war about an as-yet non-existent game, nearly two years before it will appear?

I'm so confused....

My suggestion is this: don't worry about it. In 18 months' time you might have something to object to. For now, carry on with your game, check out the rumours and news if it interests you (or ugnore them if it doesn't) and worry about whether you'll "give up" on a game once it actually exists.

But no, nobody is going to perpetuate and sign an edition war manifesto in these boards. I'd insert a Yoda quote, but you get the picture. If you're not interested in 5E, you can post in the forums here dedicated to the edition(s) you prefer. Feel free to do so.

Last edited:

I'm still watching with curiosity. I am not naive enough to believe that any feedback from the public playtest will have much impact upon the product or anything so I am content to patiently wait and see what unfolds.

I already have all the D&D I really need but discussing the future is always fun.

korjik

First Post
We don't know enough to make good decisions.

I think I'll avoid it, but that's based on microscopic tidpits of out-of-context info.

We dont know enough to make bad decisions either :)

When it comes out, I will check it out. If it dosent do what I want it to do, then I will wait till 6e and check that one out.

Dice4Hire

First Post
A shame the OP did not stop talking about next before this post ;)

I also think there is too much 'I want it this way because I like it this way' and misinterpreting things based on personal desires, but that will only put me off one forum here at Enworld, not the product itself.

But yes, I'm not going to the Next forum much, and probably will go there less in the coming months.

griffonwing

First Post
I have noticed that a lot of the ideas they are using for creating DnDNxt have already been utilized by the Pathfinder forums as well as HackMaster.

public beta testing
requesting input from the fans (whether they listen is another thing altogether)
also, some of the mechanics that I have been as possibilities are ones HM uses.

%-based skills
full con HP+race+class
opposed combat
dr for armor

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
At this point, I have no interest in D&D Next. I have a game I'm happy with (Pathfinder) with (IMO) the two best adventure-writing companies (Paizo and Frog God Games) making adventures for it. A new version of D&D is simply not something I want or need.

However, I think Mike & Monte will make a good game, so those that *are* still searching for their "perfect" version of D&D may be pleasantly surprised by what they come up with.

Of course, there's still the adventure issue...

Killer GM

First Post
Wait...so if your character didn't sign your...whatever this is, does that mean that he could talk about 5th Edition even though you couldn't?

None of this adds up!

M.L. Martin

Adventurer
I'm not giving up, but I'm considerably more skeptical than I was when it was first announced. Still, there's some positive glimmers coming through along with the less appealing ones, so I'll keep on observing.

Besides, if it doesn't fit what I want, there's still Savage Worlds, M&M, possibly BRP, and hosts of other systems and material out there. I'm really more interested in the possibility that they'll finally restore the PDFs, especially now that I have something to read them other than a desktop. :)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases