D&D 5E Who's given up on D&D Next?

imurphy943

First Post
[MENTION=55066]Dice4Hire[/MENTION]

Next forums are even worse, and probably listened to more. The problem, I feel, is that with the complexity of the game, Wizards can't possibly be expected to fit both sides of any given argument in as optional rules (the best solution), so one side is going to get shafted. People talking about the game aren't talking about adding anything, they're talking about removing things or changing things. They get really negative to the point that if you want to point out anything against the general opinion you get insulted, if you don't get a flame war.

On an unrelated note, an rpg.net moderator closed the thread before any responses came in, for "blatant edition warring rhetoric" :devil: and being started in the wrong forum.

imurphy943

First Post
Wait...so if your character didn't sign your...whatever this is, does that mean that he could talk about 5th Edition even though you couldn't?

My character does a lot of things I wouldn't do- the last one died trying to intimidate a salesman of magical pyrotechnics into lowering his prices.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
public beta testing
requesting input from the fans (whether they listen is another thing altogether)
Yes, this is a fantastic idea. 3e had great playtesting, but in my opinion 4e's playtesting was execrable. I'm really glad that 5e is opening up mass testing.

Anyone who writes off the game before they actually play it is making a mistake in my opinion. The game is changing daily, which means that anything we've seen so far should be significantly different in a few months. Who knows what it'll be like?

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Yes.

I just think the userbase is splintered to much. You either cater to pre 4e fans or 4e fans. You can't do both.

3e fans have Pathfinder, 0e/1e/2e/ fans have a host of retroclones, all done by people who love their systems.

About the only positives 5e could bring is more people to play with. But to be honest, I think even that won't work - I simply don't like the style of play involved in 4e, and 4e players no doubt feel that way about older styles.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
It sounded like a good idea at first. I thought that I might be able to just house-rule out the stuff I don't like and house-rule in stuff I do, and get something not too far from the system. I don't think so anymore. I have officially given up on any possibility of D&D Next being my game.

The intelligent, reasonable people are either going to give up and surrender the game to munchkins who want there to be one class for 'fighters with swords' and one for 'fighters with axes', or keep going and get overrun by said munchkins, or keep going until the most superficial beliefs from both sides collide into an enormous plate of smutto.

With all the retro-clones and independent RPGs out there now, you can play whatever kind of game you want without having to put up with this. Bittorrented PDFs might even hang around a little longer. If you too have given up the fight, then sign below in your own words.

I, Isaac Murphy, and my current character, Reverend W. Wilks, halfling cleric, have decided to stop participating in discussion of D&D Next. We feel no more need to play the 'official D&D game' than we did when D&D 4th came out, and D&D Essentials after that. We have accepted the futility of trying to play a game designed by the prepubescent children of the current D&D market. We now leave, to play the great game in our own way, without any endorsement from or of Wizards of the Coast.
I'm genuinely curious. What style of game do you like to play, and what about D&D Next makes you feel it won't be able to please you?

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
Jumping out of the ship before it launches is one thing, but this ship hasn't even been built yet. You're just standing with your paddle in hand by the side of the ocean, complaining about the structural damage you imagine the ship to be to have. Meanwhile there's a whole bevy of older model ships in the harbour, all perfectly capable of taking you anywhere you want until the new one is ready to set sail for its test runs. And you don't even know what colour the sails are going be. All you have are the names of the builders and some rough sketches, and you were already planning on fixing the imagined holes in the hull with your homemade patches without any sort of picture of what shape and size they might need to be. You've condemned the vessel long before it's been introduced to water.

(I thought about making a car analogy, but the ocean is so romantic.)

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I just think the userbase is splintered to much. You either cater to pre 4e fans or 4e fans. You can't do both.
What you, personally, can imagine or accomplish are not the limits on anyone else. Otherwise, you would have invented the airplane, the microcomputer and the Internet, won a Best Actor Oscar and taken the gold medal in the decathlon.

Don't make your predictions of what other people can or cannot do based on your own limitations.

I don't know, I like 4e but it became much complicated for my taste, and I have a game that have, to me, the perfect balance between complexity and details that is savage worlds... I certainly will buy the core books and play a little but I'm not liking the things that I'm reading about 5e.

Kynn

Adventurer
I, Isaac Murphy, and my current character, Reverend W. Wilks, halfling cleric, have decided to stop participating in discussion of D&D Next. We feel no more need to play the 'official D&D game' than we did when D&D 4th came out, and D&D Essentials after that. We have accepted the futility of trying to play a game designed by the prepubescent children of the current D&D market. We now leave, to play the great game in our own way, without any endorsement from or of Wizards of the Coast.

This is kind of hilarious. But you didn't intend this as a parody of Internet nerd rage, did you?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases