D&D 5E Who's given up on D&D Next?

GreyICE

Banned
Banned
Meh, I'm sliding the same way. Monte Cook took the last edition he wrote in a direction that was... better, but still fundamentally flawed, and his comments so far show that he really is making 3E V2. And I'm afraid fundamentally I have no interest in 3E V2.

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
I thought I put it in General RPG... could have been moved. I would have to be incredibly trollish to say "you know, I've pretty much given up any hope of agreeing with anyone in that forum" in said forum.
You did start it in General, and it did get moved here. I hope my word carries some amount of weight to others who don't believe you (at least when it comes to honesty). As always, play what you like :)

Dausuul

Legend
Here's what I'll sign:

I will never write a melodramatic, passive-aggressive manifesto, with gratuitous insults toward some people's play preferences, announcing my intention to never ever play a game that doesn't even exist yet. If for some reason I do end up writing off D&DN, I will just move on and play the stuff I do like, without making a big production out of how terribly aggrieved I am.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I thought I put it in General RPG... could have been moved. I would have to be incredibly trollish to say "you know, I've pretty much given up any hope of agreeing with anyone in that forum" in said forum.

I moved it. It's about 5e, so it should go in the 5e forum. The fact that your thread is negative doesn't change that.

jbear

First Post
I'm seeing flaws with the car because the designers want to build another 21st century car, but I want a classic-style muscle. There is a crowd of other people voicing their opinions, and most of them are agreeing with the designers, or wanting it even farther from my ideal. I'm giving up on the game, and I wanted to see if anyone else felt utterly disillusioned. I didn't want to be told how there's still hope, or how I should change my expectations. I'm not going to keep voting on the polls or otherwise giving my feedback because I don't want to try to force myself into a group that seems to have nothing in common with me.
My first instinct is to say "who honestly cares?".

But that wouldn't be very nice.

Personally I've got no idea what 5e will be like, or if I'll like it or not. I tend to reserve those types of judgements until ... oh you know ... I've actually tried the thing I'm making judgements about.

Call me wierd ...

A

amerigoV

Jumping out of the ship before it launches is one thing, but this ship hasn't even been built yet. You're just standing with your paddle in hand by the side of the ocean, complaining about the structural damage you imagine the ship to be to have. Meanwhile there's a whole bevy of older model ships in the harbour, all perfectly capable of taking you anywhere you want until the new one is ready to set sail for its test runs. And you don't even know what colour the sails are going be. All you have are the names of the builders and some rough sketches, and you were already planning on fixing the imagined holes in the hull with your homemade patches without any sort of picture of what shape and size they might need to be. You've condemned the vessel long before it's been introduced to water.

(I thought about making a car analogy, but the ocean is so romantic.)

OTOH, the ship builder is talking about built in options that will allow the ship to be a super freighter, a WWII era battleship, a cruise ship, a Roman galley, a speed boat, a yacht, a ship of the Spanish Main, and a rowboat all at the same time. It kinda makes one skeptical.

Its like investing - if someone offers to double my money in a short time - its a scam. If they a talking a solid 5-10% return - I'll at least listen.

ArmoredSaint

First Post
Given up on it? Good Lord, no!

I love everything I've heard about it so far.

I have higher hopes for this edition than I had for 4E. Ideally, it will recapture for me the classic feel of 1E, but with a Fighter class that has more (and more effective!) options.

nedjer

Adventurer
This goes one of two ways. There is a core game that appeals to a wider audience, which then supports the continued existence of more crunchy/ complex/ simulationist layers of play.

Or there is a crunchy/ complex/ simulationist core which doesn't earn enough money or recruit enough players to support the range of players/ playing styles/ playing add-ons that sustain the hobby.

So those who feel they're defending their hobby and style of play by jumping up and down over the notion of a straightforward core are killing the hobby for both potential players - and themselves.

Remove ads