D&D 5E Who's given up on D&D Next?

I will do the same thing with 5E that I did with 4E. Wait for it to come out, go find a nice cozy chair in the book store and sit down with the players handbook. Only then will I make my decision.

Dausuul

Legend
OTOH, the ship builder is talking about built in options that will allow the ship to be a super freighter, a WWII era battleship, a cruise ship, a Roman galley, a speed boat, a yacht, a ship of the Spanish Main, and a rowboat all at the same time. It kinda makes one skeptical.

Its like investing - if someone offers to double my money in a short time - its a scam. If they a talking a solid 5-10% return - I'll at least listen.

Except nobody's asking you to put down money yet. You'll be able to view the results before making a commitment. Calling it a scam is ridiculous and silly.

Thalionalfirin

First Post
I'm looking forward to it.

Will it be perfect for me? Probably not. But it sounds like I can tweak it enough so that it'll be pretty darn close to the game I do want to play.

And it'll be new... so people will be willing to play it.

drothgery

First Post
Although a lot of what has been said is not encouraging, I'm not going to give up on the game before the final rules are out. And they'd have to come off as terrible to me if I'm going to give up on the game without playing it.

Saint Mac

First Post
Yes.

I just think the userbase is splintered to much. You either cater to pre 4e fans or 4e fans. You can't do both.

3e fans have Pathfinder, 0e/1e/2e/ fans have a host of retroclones, all done by people who love their systems.

About the only positives 5e could bring is more people to play with. But to be honest, I think even that won't work - I simply don't like the style of play involved in 4e, and 4e players no doubt feel that way about older styles.

Although I'll play test with as open of a mind my two brain cells will allow, I"m not holding my breath.

I tend to agree with Trance, its a very splintered world and has been. If there are still dedicated 1st ed games going, I have a hard time believing this will change....but I'll give it a playtest.

Ramen

First Post
It's very possible they could make the game appeal to players of all additions. They can create a core rule set which can have options and those options can be expanded upon.

I can see several Unearthed Arcana books coming out which can expand on the various flavors of play. This along with the other supplemental products they will make.

What I'm really hoping for is an edition that will allow me to run and play straight D&D high fantasy, swashbuckling, sword and sorcery, and other fantasy genres by toggling options in the system. Something that doesn't require a crowbar and duct tape like all the previous editions.

However, I will have to see what they come up when it hits the shops. It could be the best edition ever or a total pile, so I'm reserving judgement till I get a hardcover in my nerdy little hands.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Although a lot of what has been said is not encouraging, I'm not going to give up on the game before the final rules are out. And they'd have to come off as terrible to me if I'm going to give up on the game without playing it.
I'll say this, since it's known we're playtesting: I have possibly lost perspective on what I'd think if I read the current rules afresh. But holy crap, are our playtest games fun. Take that with whatever grain of sand you like -- your gaming style surely differs from mine.

I keep an open mind. Rules change and evolve dramatically. But it's a delight to see the design team iterating based on playtest feedback.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
I'll say this, since it's known we're playtesting: I have possibly lost perspective on what I'd think if I read the current rules afresh. But holy crap, are our playtest games fun. Take that with whatever grain of sand you like -- your gaming style surely differs from mine.

I have a feeling you'd make any RPG fun, so that's not really a useful commentary on the quality of the rules. :)

S

Sunseeker

Honestly, go post it in your personal bog or journal. This is like the daily dose of "I'm quitting WoW!....for good this time!" really, we don't care.

pauljathome

First Post
So those who feel they're defending their hobby and style of play by jumping up and down over the notion of a straightforward core are killing the hobby for both potential players - and themselves.

You are making the rather suspect assumption that the failure of DndNext means the death of the hobby.

You're also making the rather suspect assumption that a few people posting negative opinions on DndNext at this point will have any significant effect on the success or failure of DndNext.

While I am currently less than optimistic that DndNext will be to my personal tastes that hardly means that I believe it is guaranteed to fail nor that I want it to fail.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases