D&D 5E Who's given up on D&D Next?

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
I played 2nd ed back in the early 90's and thoroughly enjoyed it. Our group broke up and that was the end of my roleplaying, until 4E came out. 4E brought me back into the fold and it's been great.

I didn't like essentials and I'm not looking forward to 5E but hey whatever. They're in the business to make money. There's no correct edition, you play what you like.

No doubt. Myself, I've played using at least half a dozen different systems since the beginning of this year alone. None of them happened to be 3.XE/4.XE/PF, but if I expand that statement to include the last year, all of those were also included as well as a handful of others. For me, I game a great deal and have time to do so, so buying into a single system isn't going to happen. If 5E trips my trigger, it will be added to a stable of systems that I play. I think WotC needs to hear from those of us who aren't single system users and also needs to hear from those who are already being turned off by what little we have to go on. I not only believe they need to hear it, I think they want to hear it. Allowing that feedback to be blocked out even at this juncture isn't helping WotC make a better game for all of us, so I'm hoping that doesn't become the groupthink this time around.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Save-or-suck is modern too, in the way that keys are modern; 3e had it.
Save-or-suck was around lo-ong before 3e. It's not exactly a "modern" add-on to the system. :)

[MENTION=2]Piratecat[/MENTION] - as others have already said, you could probably make any game fun; so without breaking the NDA can you elaborate at all on what makes it fun? Does it support a rollicking pedal-to-the-metal style of play well? Or...?

Lanefan

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Why are your playtest games so much fun? Are the new rules easy to implement or rewarding? What can you say that doesn't include specifics covered by the NDA? This is the sort of thing I want to read more than hints at specifics.
I tried to answer this about three times, but I'm unable to do so without feeling uncomfortable about it. Sorry, my friend.

[MENTION=2]Piratecat[/MENTION] - as others have already said, you could probably make any game fun; so without breaking the NDA can you elaborate at all on what makes it fun? Does it support a rollicking pedal-to-the-metal style of play well? Or...?
Don't mistake "fun for my players" with "fun for me." They can be mutually exclusive. In this case they aren't.

I think one thing can be inferred by what is already public knowledge. The playtest adventure run at DDXP was The Caves of Chaos. WotC would be unwise to pick that adventure unless this early core system worked well with fast-paced, varied combat. For my part, I'm running B1: In Search of the Unknown. I'm not exactly drenched in a fog of nostalgia, but it's a freakin' delight to revisit a module from 1980 and have it be even more fun now. When rules are written that support 4e-style tactical play, there's a crap-ton of other adventures I'm itching to try.

Last edited:

imurphy943

First Post
[MENTION=29398]Lanefan[/MENTION]
what I mean is that save-or-suck and/or save-or-die being included aren't really huge things to me. 3e had them, too.

Oni

First Post
I tried to answer this about three times, but I'm unable to do so without feeling uncomfortable about it. Sorry, my friend.

This makes me feel pretty positive. That it's intrinsic enough to the game, rather than yourself, that you don't feel comfortable talking about it.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I plan to have several of my players who have never DMed before give it a whirl. Then we'll see how the core systems hold up.

Dice4Hire

First Post
If D&D dies, Paizo will gain top dog status in the RPG industry. They've been doing fine without D&D for years, and if D&D truly dies, that's where the D&D fans are going to go. If Paizo then :):):):)s it up, then maybe the industry will be in trouble, but I doubt it.

They have been doing fine ALONGSIDE D&D for years, a lot different from without D&D.

Dice4Hire

First Post
I plan to have several of my players who have never DMed before give it a whirl. Then we'll see how the core systems hold up.

Funny how most playtesters seem to like the product, and a lot of people who have never seen it have already banned it from their presence.

Yes, I know some people who have played have not liked it.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
sob.gif

It was still encouraging to read how much fun 5E is for your group. So many of the blogs have focused on what they didn't like.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases