D&D 4th Edition D&D Next (5E) Updates, Pax East, and a Poll

What's on your mind?

Poll: Should the cleric and wizard use Vancian Magic as core?

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    The Guvnor
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

Blog Entries
    13th AgeSupermanCircvs MaximvsENniesPathfinderZEITGEISTDoctor Who

Ignore Morrus
    My communities:

D&D Next (5E) Updates, Pax East, and a Poll

The D&D 5E info page has been updated again with the latest snippets of information, including hints at the approach to backstabs, multiclassing, areas of effect, and more. (Oh, and in case you didn't realise - the playtest packet and collectible cards news on April 1st was an April Fool's joke).

Remember that PAX East takes place this week, from April 6-8. Like the DDXP convention, it will include public playtests and seminars. Relevant to 5E events include:
    • Playtest Special: D&D Next (Friday 7pm) - Join in a public playtest of the next iteration of the Dungeons & Dragons game at PAX East. Play in an adventure with characters provided, and give us your feedback to help guide the future of the D&D game! Players of any editions of the game are welcome to participate. All participants are required to sign a non-disclosure agreement. Length: 4 hours.
    • The Future of Dungeons & Dragons (Saturday 1:30 pm – 2:30 pm - Wyvern Theatre) - The next iteration of Dungeons & Dragons is on its way! Join D&D Senior Manager Mike Mearls in a Q&A about the next D&D, and how the open playtest is using fan feedback to help shape the future of the game.
    And finally, a new poll! This one's about that old D&D staple, Vancian Magic. The info we have so far appears to indicate that wizards and clerics will use vancian magic as a default, that there will be optional rules modules for other magic systems, and that other spell-using classes may also use different magic system.

For those who are unclear, vancian magic refers (at least in terms of D&D) the "fire-and-forget" spell system used by all editions of D&D up until 4th Edition, where it was replaced with the daily/encounter/at-will system. A wizard or cleric has a long list of spells available, and chooses each day which to "memorize" (or "prepare", depending on which edition you're using) according to predefined slots. So he can memorize X first-level spells, Y second level-spells, and Z third-level spells, and so on. As he casts them, these spells disappear from his memory, leaving him unable to cast them again unless he's memorized them multiple times or has special feats or abilities which circumvent the basic vancian system.

All clear now? I hope so!

So the poll is this: should the cleric and wizard use vancian magic as core, or not?

If you're viewing this on the news page, the poll is to your right ---->. If you're viewing it as a thread, it's at the top of the thread. If you're viewing it on one of our mobile apps, you'll need to click through to the actual site to vote, as you will if you're viewing it in the newsletter. If you're viewing it some other way I haven't thought of, then I have no friggin' idea!

Last edited by Morrus; Tuesday, 3rd April, 2012 at 04:11 PM.

Magsman (Lvl 14)

Ignore Vyvyan Basterd
    Poll: None of the Above. I don't care as long as the classes are interesting, flavorful, and reasonably balanced.
    WotBS: Adrana's Diary

"Pudding!" - Dean Winchester, Supernatural

Proud Rouseketeers Member-Badge #33

What do you mean by funky feats and abilities to modify it? Personally I really didn't liked 3e meta magic feats if that what you mean.

Warder

The Guvnor

Blog Entries

Ignore Morrus
    My communities:

Quote Originally Posted by Blackwarder View Post
    What do you mean by funky feats and abilities to modify it? Personally I really didn't liked 3e meta magic feats if that what you mean.
    Well, for example the wizard feat in 5E/D&D Next which gives the wizard an "at will" attack. Something which goes outside the actual vancian mechanic.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrus View Post
    Well, for example the wizard feat in 5E/D&D Next which gives the wizard an "at will" attack. Something which goes outside the actual vancian mechanic.
    Ok, that I approved off.

Warder

Community Supporter
    Novice (Lvl 1)

Ignore brindy
    My communities:

Playtest Special: D&D Next (Friday 7pm) - [I]Join in a public playtest of the next iteration of the Dungeons & Dragons game at PAX East. Play in an adventure with characters provided, and give us your feedback to help guide the future of the D&D game! Players of any editions of the game are welcome to participate. All participants are required to sign a non-disclosure agreement. Length: 4 hours.
    Not really public if you have to be at PAX and sign an NDA is it?

The Future of Dungeons & Dragons (Saturday 1:30 pm 2:30 pm - Wyvern Theatre) - The next iteration of Dungeons & Dragons is on its way! Join D&D Senior Manager Mike Mearls in a Q&A about the next D&D, and how the open playtest is using fan feedback to help shape the future of the game.[/SIZE]
    What "open playtest"?

The Guvnor

Blog Entries

Ignore Morrus
    My communities:

Quote Originally Posted by brindy View Post
    Not really public if you have to be at PAX and sign an NDA is it?

What "open playtest"?
    I didn't write the descriptions; I cannot answer your questions. Those are the official descriptions of the events.

Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

Blog Entries

Ignore drothgery
    My communities:

Voted for making vancian casters extinct, but really, I'm okay with a Vancian wizard in core as a nod to old-school gamers. The Vancian cleric, though, should go.
    Dave Rothgery

PBP
    Spoiler:

My EnWorld Blog
    Republic and Empire
    Buffverse M&M game

Characters
    Active
    Sanne Bacher d'Lyrandar in S@squ@tch's Against the Giants - Team Black

Inactive
    Istara Kandorian in Ankh-Morpork Guard's Star Wars: Rebels with Style
    Eric Hassel (Quarterback) in Jemal's Mutant High
    Sariel in Rumspringa's Keep on the Shadowfell
    Khalia ir'Indari in DEFCON1's Eye of the Lich Queen
    Serrana Vao in Karl Green's Knights of the Old Republic (with 213 things Serrana can't do in the Jedi Order)
    Italimelk in Living ENWorld
    Daellin ir'Ayellan in stonegod's Expedition to Castle Ravenloft
    drothgery's Victorian Eberron game
    Star Wars/KotOR Era - The Second K'ril Incursion

Community Supporter
    Novice (Lvl 1)

Ignore brindy
    My communities:

I didn't write the descriptions; I cannot answer your questions. Those are the official descriptions of the events.
    Yeah I know, I'm just replying right where I saw it first.

Defender (Lvl 8)

Ignore Serendipity
    Hm. No option for 'yes I want a vancian wizard but less so the cleric.' Though options to change this for both classes would, ultimately, be nice.
    "The glass is not half-full, the glass is prepared."

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast