D&D Next (5E) Updates, Pax East, and a Poll

Should the cleric and wizard use Vancian Magic as core?

• Yes! Vancian magic is D&D!

Votes: 204 37.2%
  • No! That's so old-school! Make the vancian mage extinct!

Votes: 48 8.7%
  • Yes, but with extra funky feats and abilities to modify it!

Votes: 138 25.1%
  • No, but include it as an option somewhere for those who really want to use it.

Votes: 152 27.7%
  • I don't understand what Vancian Magic is.

Votes: 7 1.3%

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The D&D 5E info page has been updated again with the latest snippets of information, including hints at the approach to backstabs, multiclassing, areas of effect, and more. (Oh, and in case you didn't realise - the playtest packet and collectible cards news on April 1st was an April Fool's joke).

Remember that PAX East takes place this week, from April 6-8. Like the DDXP convention, it will include public playtests and seminars. Relevant to 5E events include:
  • Playtest Special: D&D Next (Friday 7pm) - Join in a public playtest of the next iteration of the Dungeons & Dragons game at PAX East. Play in an adventure with characters provided, and give us your feedback to help guide the future of the D&D game! Players of any editions of the game are welcome to participate. All participants are required to sign a non-disclosure agreement. Length: 4 hours.
  • The Future of Dungeons & Dragons (Saturday 1:30 pm – 2:30 pm - Wyvern Theatre) - The next iteration of Dungeons & Dragons is on its way! Join D&D Senior Manager Mike Mearls in a Q&A about the next D&D, and how the open playtest is using fan feedback to help shape the future of the game.
And finally, a new poll! This one's about that old D&D staple, Vancian Magic. The info we have so far appears to indicate that wizards and clerics will use vancian magic as a default, that there will be optional rules modules for other magic systems, and that other spell-using classes may also use different magic system.

For those who are unclear, vancian magic refers (at least in terms of D&D) the "fire-and-forget" spell system used by all editions of D&D up until 4th Edition, where it was replaced with the daily/encounter/at-will system. A wizard or cleric has a long list of spells available, and chooses each day which to "memorize" (or "prepare", depending on which edition you're using) according to predefined slots. So he can memorize X first-level spells, Y second level-spells, and Z third-level spells, and so on. As he casts them, these spells disappear from his memory, leaving him unable to cast them again unless he's memorized them multiple times or has special feats or abilities which circumvent the basic vancian system.

All clear now? I hope so!

So the poll is this: should the cleric and wizard use vancian magic as core, or not?

If you're viewing this on the news page, the poll is to your right ---->. If you're viewing it as a thread, it's at the top of the thread. If you're viewing it on one of our mobile apps, you'll need to click through to the actual site to vote, as you will if you're viewing it in the newsletter. If you're viewing it some other way I haven't thought of, then I have no friggin' idea!

Last edited:

Blackwarder

Adventurer
What do you mean by funky feats and abilities to modify it? Personally I really didn't liked 3e meta magic feats if that what you mean.

Warder

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
What do you mean by funky feats and abilities to modify it? Personally I really didn't liked 3e meta magic feats if that what you mean.

Well, for example the wizard feat in 5E/D&D Next which gives the wizard an "at will" attack. Something which goes outside the actual vancian mechanic.

brindy

First Post
Playtest Special: D&D Next (Friday 7pm) - Join in a public playtest of the next iteration of the Dungeons & Dragons game at PAX East. Play in an adventure with characters provided, and give us your feedback to help guide the future of the D&D game! Players of any editions of the game are welcome to participate. All participants are required to sign a non-disclosure agreement. Length: 4 hours.

Not really public if you have to be at PAX and sign an NDA is it?

The Future of Dungeons & Dragons (Saturday 1:30 pm – 2:30 pm - Wyvern Theatre) - The next iteration of Dungeons & Dragons is on its way! Join D&D Senior Manager Mike Mearls in a Q&A about the next D&D, and how the open playtest is using fan feedback to help shape the future of the game.[/SIZE]

What "open playtest"?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Not really public if you have to be at PAX and sign an NDA is it?

What "open playtest"?

I didn't write the descriptions; I cannot answer your questions. Those are the official descriptions of the events.

Serendipity

Explorer
Hm. No option for 'yes I want a vancian wizard but less so the cleric.' Though options to change this for both classes would, ultimately, be nice.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases