Review of Player Minion & DM Minion by Goat Head Software

At the time of this article, I mentioned that I did not know if the developers of this app had plans for ANDROID users. I received an email last night from Ben Knoll at Goathead Software stating: "As far as android devices goes, we will be finishing device compatibility testing this week to make sure we can run on most devices, so far Player Minion will run on everything. DM Minion has some...

At the time of this article, I mentioned that I did not know if the developers of this app had plans for ANDROID users. I received an email last night from Ben Knoll at Goathead Software stating:

"As far as android devices goes, we will be finishing device compatibility testing this week to make sure we can run on most devices, so far Player Minion will run on everything. DM Minion has some issues on smaller tablet devices, still working out those small kinks. "

So good news for folks who use something other than iPhone/iPad... there are Player and DM Minion apps on the way!

RisnDevil

First Post
Having a problem...

Ok, first, I just wanted to say thank you to Goat Head Software for releasing a lite/free version: I like what I am seeing but need to figure out a problem I am haing before I buy it. So, without further ado:

I am attempting to use DM Minion Lite. When I first launch the App I create an Adventure name (test for, you guessed it, test purposes). My first red flag is when I click "Create Adventure" and seemingly nothing happens: the adventure name DOES populate in the top right corner so I assume it worked. I move on to the next tab, Encounter, to attempt to build an encounter. I load the sample monsters, build an encounter with a random number and combination of them and click save: so far so good!!! Click the newly created encounter and run it (I do like the way initiative is set for players and handled behind the scenes for monsters). Go through a couple example rounds and actions: smooth sailing and very satisfied so far!! End the encounter, click around on some more options and exit the App: now the problem(s) begins.

When I leave the App for short periods of time everything stays loaded/configured/built/what have you. If I stay away for a larger amount of time, or kill the app through the standard means, it's all gone. I think to myself "Fine, I'll just load what I built and run it again," but there is nowhere to load the adventure I created. Nor is there anywhere to load the encounter I built; I can only recreate it. Do some more testing and try to create a PC: can't be saved without an adventure loaded. "Create" my test adventure, load the character and save it. Immediately exit out of the App (and completely kill it) and the adventure is gone now ALONG WITH the PC I built. Try to creat the same "Test" adventure to see if the PC populates as available and nothing. So here's my conundrum: can I PERMENANTLY build ANYTHING from COMPLETELY WITHIN the App or will I have to do EVERYTHING through the website and import it in after?

Here's hoping I'm doing something wrong.

RisnDevil

goathead82

First Post
Ok, first, I just wanted to say thank you to Goat Head Software for releasing a lite/free version: I like what I am seeing but need to figure out a problem I am haing before I buy it. So, without further ado:

I am attempting to use DM Minion Lite. When I first launch the App I create an Adventure name (test for, you guessed it, test purposes). My first red flag is when I click "Create Adventure" and seemingly nothing happens: the adventure name DOES populate in the top right corner so I assume it worked. I move on to the next tab, Encounter, to attempt to build an encounter. I load the sample monsters, build an encounter with a random number and combination of them and click save: so far so good!!! Click the newly created encounter and run it (I do like the way initiative is set for players and handled behind the scenes for monsters). Go through a couple example rounds and actions: smooth sailing and very satisfied so far!! End the encounter, click around on some more options and exit the App: now the problem(s) begins.

When I leave the App for short periods of time everything stays loaded/configured/built/what have you. If I stay away for a larger amount of time, or kill the app through the standard means, it's all gone. I think to myself "Fine, I'll just load what I built and run it again," but there is nowhere to load the adventure I created. Nor is there anywhere to load the encounter I built; I can only recreate it. Do some more testing and try to create a PC: can't be saved without an adventure loaded. "Create" my test adventure, load the character and save it. Immediately exit out of the App (and completely kill it) and the adventure is gone now ALONG WITH the PC I built. Try to creat the same "Test" adventure to see if the PC populates as available and nothing. So here's my conundrum: can I PERMENANTLY build ANYTHING from COMPLETELY WITHIN the App or will I have to do EVERYTHING through the website and import it in after?

Here's hoping I'm doing something wrong.

RisnDevil

RisnDevil, Thanks for giving the application a try. The Lite version has two features removed: Importing from DDI and Saving\Loading Adventures to the device. The Lite version is more of a 'demo' just to play with the features of the application. The Full version supports everything the Lite does + DDI Imports and Saving. Saving in the full app is handled in two ways, you can either manually save by pressing a save button that is available on the adventure screen, the app will also auto-save when soft or hard(kill) closing the app to a separate Auto-save file so it does not override a manual save. The full version will allow you to build and save everything you have done in the app (in the middle of a combat too) without using the myminion website if you do not have a DDI account, it just takes longer to input all the data.

goathead82

First Post
Mac and Windows Desktop support

DM Minion is now available for Windows and Mac desktops!

you can download it at goatheadsoftware.com!

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads