[LPF] Ties that Bind - Page 11




What's on your mind?

  1. #101
    Registered User
    Cutpurse (Lvl 5)

    Qik's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    New Orleans, US
    Posts
    1,925

    Ignore Qik
    My communities:

    OOC
    You're right regarding movement speed and maneuverability.

    I'm happy to have the elementals chase, but frankly, I'm not too sure how to play it: the dragon will keep withdrawing, the elementals will keep getting AoOs, and eventually they're going to hit it and down it. A chase scene seems appropriate, but a quick glance at the rules seems cumbersome. I'll stew it over a bit, and am happy to have some input, and will have another think when I get home from work tomorrow afternoon.

    I certainly don't want to just pull DM fiat and say that the dragon got away, though, so we'll sort something out.

 

  • #102
    Registered User
    Scout (Lvl 6)

    Artur Hawkwing's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northwest of DC
    Posts
    990

    Ignore Artur Hawkwing
    My communities:

    ooc
    Perhaps just two or three grapple checks. The elementals must win to overtake the dragon and windsock him or her down. Otherwise, the dragon eventually escapes when they desummon? And how far from Elenka can they go and still follow her direction?
    I fight beneath this flag against the Darkness. Pay no attention to the cost in land and lives, this war must be won by the light!

    Living Pathfinder: Canasta Emeraldas, Human Bard Level 1

    Retired LPF: Audra Frost, Human Monk, Level 6 | Marcus Cole, Half-Elf Ranger 3/Wizard (Admixture Evocation) 1

  • #103
    Cowled Justice of LPF COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

    GlassEye's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, MO
    Posts
    6,516

    Ignore GlassEye
    My communities:

    OOC
    I'm entirely ok with you saying the dragon got away. Sometimes there's no benefit to playing out a combat scene to the bitter end, especially if that combat is incidental to the adventure. Even more so if that scene is between NPCs and it would leave PCs with nothing to do until it is over.

    And IronWolf, I apologize for my PC getting snippy with yours.

    EDIT: They do have their whirlwind power but the DC to escape that in low. AH, as far as I know there is no distance limitation once the creature is summoned. But, they don't actually follow her direction since she can't communicate with them; they just automatically are compelled to attack her enemies.
    Last edited by GlassEye; Monday, 7th May, 2012 at 04:38 AM.

  • #104
    blank COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    Spellbinder (Lvl 16)

    IronWolf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    6,849

    Ignore IronWolf
    My communities:

    Fulgrim near immediately slips from his rage as the dragon before him falls nearly cut in two and he notices the second seeming intent on escape.

    He barely has time to recover before Elenka begins scolding him. Fulgrim turns a slight tinge of red and hangs his head slightly replying in a sheepish manner "I thought dey would 'ave tougher skin din dat. Didn't mean ta kill it outright." Fulgrim replies. Sorry mi'lady, I'll try not ta kill 'em so quick next time."

    GlassEye


    No worries. Fulgrim deserved it! I actually considered trying to do subdual, but wasn't sure if Fulgrim would try such a thing while raging even if he went into the rage thinking that the best thing to do.


  • #105
    Registered User
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)



    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    8,829

    Ignore jkason
    My communities:

    Eanos Setirav, human inquisitor

    As the second dragon begins to run for it, Eanos takes one last shot, landing an arrow solidly in the creature's side as he calls out, "Wait, it's dead-dead? Guess I forgot what a monster you are with that axe, Fulgrim."

    actions
    I'm not sure it's enough to bring it down, but Eanos does get a solid final hit. Not sure how that might effect your 'can the elementals bring it down' deliberations:

    Justice Deadly Aim (2nd range increment); damage (1d20+6=23, 1d8+4=11)


    mini stats
    Eanos Setirav
    Initiative: +6
    AC: 17 (19 w/ SoF)
    HP: 29 Current: 29
    CMB: +4 CMD: 17 Fort: +5 Reflex: +5 Will: +8

    Conditions: Justice Judgement (+1 sacred to attacks), partial cover (?)

    In Hand: +1 Composite Longbow

    Arrows: 11/17 (+2 recoverable)
    Blunt Arrows: 20/20
    Cold Iron Arrows: 19/19
    Silver Blunt Arrows: 16/16
    CLW Wand charges: 31/50 remaining

    Judgement: 1/2 Remaining Determination: 2/2 remaining
    Silver Tongued Haggler: 5/6 remaining
    Spells: Orisons (DC 13): Brand, Create Water, Detect Magic, Disrupt Undead, Guidance, Light
    1st (4/4 remaining)(DC 14): Divine Favor, Expeditious Retreat, Protection from Evil, Shield of Faith, Wrath
    2nd (2/2 remaining)(DC 15): Silence, Weapon of Awe

  • #106
    Cowled Justice of LPF COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

    GlassEye's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, MO
    Posts
    6,516

    Ignore GlassEye
    My communities:

    Elenka Danyllova, Summoner

    Realizing that she is acting quite like a shrew, Elenka relents.

    "My apologies, Fulgrim. You did the right thing in stopping them by whatever means you had at hand. We've been dealing with their bad tempers and frosty breath for weeks. I don't know how I came to be convinced that importing dragons was a good idea."

    Seeing Eanos' parting shot at the dragons Elenka is impressed.

    "Good shot, M...! I'm sorry, in the excitement I have completely forgotten your name, sir."



    MiniStats
    Elenka Human Summoner 5
    Initiative: +2 Perception: +7

    AC: 16 (12 touch; 14 flat-footed) [20 w/Shield]
    HP: 37 Current: 37
    CMB: +4 CMD: 16 Fort: +1 Ref: +3 Will: +6

    In Hand:
    Spells:
    1st level: 4/5 remaining.
    2nd level: 2/3 remaining.
    Rod of Extend: 2/3 remaining (3rd lv. or lower)
    Special: Summon Monster 3 5/6

    Drevezh'Korol Eidolon
    Initiative: +2 Perception: +5; Darkvision 60 ft.

    AC: 20 (12 touch; 18 flat-footed) [24 w/Mage Armor]
    HP: 38 Current: 38
    CMB: +9 CMD: 20 Fort: +5 Ref: +3 Will: +4

    In Hand: --
    Conditions: dismissed

  • #107
    Registered User
    Cutpurse (Lvl 5)

    Qik's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    New Orleans, US
    Posts
    1,925

    Ignore Qik
    My communities:

    OOC
    That actually solves the problem quite nicely, jk...

    A small gnome emerges onto the deck just in time to see the arrow leave Eanos' bow. Along with everyone else in the area, he follows the missile as it arcs high over the water, passes between the pair of elementals in pursuit, and catches the dragon squarely in the back. The creature falls, undignified, into the water below, making only a small splash as it enters. While everyone else seems generally pleased by Eanos' accuracy, however, the gnome groans in dismay. "Great! Just great! Now Captain Hwuzel must explain why he only brings half of his cargo to delivery." Having spoken too soon, the gnome turns around to catch sight of Fulgrim, axe bloodied, standing next to the nearly-cleaved dragon lying dead on the deck. The gnome's face turns bright red, and despite the notable size difference, begins advancing on Fulgrim, seemingly intending to give him a piece of his mind.

    Just what the size of that piece would be, however, will forever remain unanswered, as the studious-looking halfling who had been accompanying Eanos and Fulgrim makes his way up onto the ship. "Nice shooting, Master Ea- err, Captain Hwuzel!" he interjects, "please, please, calm down!" Phedilo herds the gnome off to the side, where the two begin an animated discussion.

  • #108
    Registered User
    Scout (Lvl 6)

    Artur Hawkwing's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northwest of DC
    Posts
    990

    Ignore Artur Hawkwing
    My communities:

    Audra looks up at the gasping of the crew nearby, she looks up and watches the sight of the dragon falling. She bows her head a moment before looking back at the crew behind her.

    Hope he doesn't make you all go into the water after that.

    Her arm wrapped she shrugs the backpack onto her back and steps out onto the deck where she spots Elenka and two men she doesn't recognize, one with a blood coated axe standing near the carved in half other dragon. This gets an eyebrow quirk. Then she spies the Captain and the other fellow in their animated discussion. She steps up to the other three, eyes on the Captain.

    Wonder how difficult it would be to stuff one of those dragons.

    She shrugs the backpack a little and eyes the two men, looking to Elenka.

    Friends of yours?
    I fight beneath this flag against the Darkness. Pay no attention to the cost in land and lives, this war must be won by the light!

    Living Pathfinder: Canasta Emeraldas, Human Bard Level 1

    Retired LPF: Audra Frost, Human Monk, Level 6 | Marcus Cole, Half-Elf Ranger 3/Wizard (Admixture Evocation) 1

  • #109
    Registered User
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)



    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    8,829

    Ignore jkason
    My communities:

    Eanos gapes as his arrow, like Fulgrim's axe, seems to have much more severe consequences than intended. He glances to his new bow and raises an eyebrow.

    "Think that bloke at the Pearl undersold this beauty," he mutters.

    ooc
    Quote Originally Posted by Qik View Post
    That actually solves the problem quite nicely, jk...
    D'oh! Is the dragon Dead or dying / drowning? Wondering if Eanos (possibly with Expeditious Retreat / Haste boosting) could make it to the thing to stabilize it before it died if not.

  • #110
    Registered User
    Cutpurse (Lvl 5)

    Qik's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    New Orleans, US
    Posts
    1,925

    Ignore Qik
    My communities:

    OOC
    The dragon is dying/drowning about 160 ft from the ship. You're welcome to take a stab at rescuing him, but I'm not sure how you all would do that. I'd have to muse on how deep the water is, but I'd say, very roughly, about 20 ft. I'd also feel like an unconscious creature would drown much faster than a conscious one, but I don't know if the rules back me up on that.

    Sorry if I wasn't clear enough about the over-the-water bit.

  • + Log in or register to post
    Page 11 of 54 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Battlestar Galactica-Final Season (4) 4/18/08--The Ties That Bind
      By Truth Seeker in forum Miscellaneous Geek Talk & Media Lounge
      Replies: 59
      Last Post: Friday, 25th April, 2008, 09:16 AM
    2. Ties that Bind OOC - Citadel Adbar
      By gabrion in forum Talking the Talk
      Replies: 49
      Last Post: Monday, 5th December, 2005, 09:22 PM
    3. Ties that Bind OOC - Silverymoon
      By gabrion in forum Talking the Talk
      Replies: 38
      Last Post: Saturday, 19th November, 2005, 03:23 PM
    4. Ties that Bind - 3.5 Forgotten Realms Gestalt
      By gabrion in forum Talking the Talk
      Replies: 356
      Last Post: Thursday, 10th November, 2005, 07:20 PM
    5. Ties that Bind - Silverymoon (Rogues Gallery)
      By gabrion in forum General RPG Discussion
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: Tuesday, 1st November, 2005, 04:43 PM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •