[LPF] Ties that Bind

Artur Hawkwing

First Post
[sblock=OOC]Will probably hang around until tomorrow afternoon to see if Artur chimes in, then will drop in a post.

Also, I was wondering if people would think it unfair if I asked for no taking 10. As it's a skill challenge, it just seems a bit static and otherwise against the nature of the challenge to not roll. I'm not trying to DM fiat, it was just my initial sense; let me know what you think.[/sblock]

[sblock=ooc]No worries on rolling, happy to do it. I will post something this evening, probably by 10 or so Eastern tonight. I'm on the road at the moment and have just been bleah due to work, life and all that stuff. I'll come up with a good posting for her to make it worth while. Promise![/sblock]

Qik

First Post
The group begins to make their way up the massive set of stone stairs which lead to Warden's Watch. As impressive as they are from afar, they're even more of a sight up close. Perhaps the rarity of seeing stairs rendered on such a scale contributes to their aura of accomplishment. Hewn from the rockface itself, the stairway also lends a sense of the meeting between civilization and nature.

As the group walks on, they notice the predictable profusion of gnomes and gnomish-sized items: everyone gets the sense that they're seeing, perhaps for the first time, what it's like to be a gnome-sized creature in a human-sized world. The shift in proportion will likely take some getting used to, although the city's role as a regional hub likely means that it's built to accommodate the larger folk as well.

[sblock=OOC]I appreciate that, jk. Will wait for others' thoughts before I pass judgement, but again, as long as there are no strenuous objections, rolls will be required for information relating directly to Alecks and his whereabouts. Rolls for more indirect info, or for unrelated info (as related to the region, the city, etc) can of course be "taken 10" if so desired, and if normally doable.

Feel free to attack gathering information any way you'd like; that's the fun part. ;)

Edit for ninja: no worries Artur! Take your time; happy travels.[/sblock]

Artur Hawkwing

First Post
Audra is fairly subdued as everyone debarks onto the stairs. Though her backpack is a bit of a weight to her, she can only imagine those who wear something like full plate trying to climb up these steps. Almost halfway up she speaks up.

We ate before we left the ship. Who wants to be we'll all be starving by the time we get to the top?

Continuing up the staircase, near the top, Audra takes a moment to look over the edge.

Wouldn't want to fall into the water from here, fashion statement or no. You'd make a splash, just might not be in the water.

As the crew finally reach the top, Audra resists the urge to bend over and act as if she's too winded to move on. She looks around at the nearer buildings.

Guess if one of those is an inn, the best the can do is hire a short order cook?

Audra sighs at herself for making jokes, but it has lightened her mood a little.

Okay, lets go find the beanpole lodge and get started. The sooner the better, right?

She looks about and then puts her hands on her hips.

Anyone know which way to go? I have the feeling I'm overlooking something.

She groans as soon as she hears the innocent statement hit her ears.

GlassEye

Adventurer
Elenka trudges up the stairs with the rest of her traveling companions but she lets Drevezh'korol carry her pack. She is considering the best way to approach finding Alecks Frost and pays little attention to Audra's jokes but she does manage to smile at appropriate times. Seeing someone ahead of them descending she stops them to ask directions.

"Excuse me, sir. Could you direct us to a traveler's inn?"

• • • Elenka Danyllova • • •

[sblock=MiniStats][size=+1]Elenka[/size] Human Summoner 5
Initiative: +2 Perception: +7

AC: 16 (12 touch; 14 flat-footed) [20 w/Shield]
HP: 37 Current: 37
CMB: +4 CMD: 16 Fort: +1 Ref: +3 Will: +6

In Hand:
Spells:
1st level: 4/5 remaining.
2nd level: 2/3 remaining.
Rod of Extend: 2/3 remaining (3rd lv. or lower)
Special: Summon Monster 3 6/6

[size=+1]Drevezh'Korol[/size] Eidolon
Initiative: +2 Perception: +5; Darkvision 60 ft.

AC: 20 (12 touch; 18 flat-footed) [24 w/Mage Armor]
HP: 38 Current: 38
CMB: +9 CMD: 20 Fort: +5 Ref: +3 Will: +4

In Hand: --
Conditions: [/sblock][sblock=OOC]No problem with not using the Take 10 mechanic for this challenge here.

Gather Info: (looking for an inn) 1d20+12=23[/sblock]

IronWolf

blank
Fulgrim takes the sights and sounds of the city in as the others seek out an Inn or Tavern to start their hunt for additional information.

[sblock=OOC]

I am fine with rolling for the gather info checks instead of taking 10.

[/sblock]

Qik

First Post
The bearded gnome with deep red skin whom Elenka was addressing stops his descent of the stairs to think for a moment. In one hand, he holds a set of colorful reins which attach to the goat he was leading down the stairs. The goat seems pleased to have a break.

"Uhm, yes, uhm, let me think, madam...There's The Herring and Toad, though the foods not very good there...Hmm, let me see..." As he continues to think, his eyes settle on Fulgrim. "Oh! I know just the ticket: The Anvil. Run by a good fellow, a dwarf by the name of Ferick Stonehelm. Equipped to handle large folk such as yourself, and they've got quite the selection of dwarven ales, too, imported directly from the Sethirs," he says with a wink at Fulgrim's way. The gnome gives the group directions to The Anvil, then bids then a good day and resumes his journey downward. His goat grudgingly obliges. The group continues on as well.

As they reach the top, they take a moment to assimilate the view. It is an impressive sight. The Starwater River stretches to the north and south, lit aflame by the sinking afternoon sun. On other side of the river, plains stretch out, unbroken to the east and stopped only by a barely-visible ridge in the west. In addition to its aesthetic qualities, the group realizes the strategic advantages of placing the city on this ridge like this: sight lines extend for miles, and any forces not coming from the north would have to contend with fighting from the low ground. The location of Warden's Watch seems to serve several functions. With that in mind, the group move into the city itself.

It is a bustling place. They wind their way through a series of merchant stalls, selling all manner of items, from food to trinkets to livestock. Finally, they turn down a side street and catch sight of the sign denoting The Anvil.

Walking in, they're greeted by the comfortingly familiar sight that is the universality of traveler's inns: a few customers are seated at the bar and among the tables, eating and drinking, and a dwarf wipes a glass clean from behind the bar. He smiles a greeting. "How can I help ye good folks?"

[sblock=OOC]It's settled on the rolls, then; thanks for being so agreeable, everyone. Just let me know when you roll a roll that counts towards the process of learning about Alecks (I assumed GE's was not one of these).[/sblock]

jkason

First Post
Eanos Setirav, human inquisitor

"A drink to warm the bones after that walk, to start, and what kind of rooms have you?" Eanos says casually. Then he leans in, lowering his voice to a friendly conspiratorial tone, adding, "Also, the lady's always on the lookout for good stories. Suppose you've got a couple of gossips 'round here, yes? Maybe you could point us to them?"

[sblock=ooc]Using Silver-Tongued Haggler on aid another roll:

Aid another Diplomacy (gather info) (1d20+10=25)

Elenka will get a +2 on her next attempt. Eanos'll cast a Guidance on her, as well, to +3 total coming her way from Eanos.[/sblock]

[sblock=mini stats]Eanos Setirav
Initiative: +6
AC: 17 (19 w/ SoF)
HP: 29 Current: 29
CMB: +4 CMD: 17 Fort: +5 Reflex: +5 Will: +8

Conditions: Wet

In Hand: None

Arrows: 33/33
Blunt Arrows: 20/20
Cold Iron Arrows: 19/19
Silver Blunt Arrows: 16/16
CLW Wand charges: 31/50 remaining (second wand full)

Judgement: 2/2 Remaining Determination: 2/2 remaining
Silver Tongued Haggler: 5/6 remaining
Spells: Orisons (DC 13): Brand, Create Water, Detect Magic, Disrupt Undead, Guidance, Light
1st (4/4 remaining)(DC 14): Divine Favor, Expeditious Retreat, Protection from Evil, Shield of Faith, Wrath
2nd (2/2 remaining)(DC 15): Silence, Weapon of Awe[/sblock]

Last edited:

GlassEye

Adventurer
Elenka smiles at the dwarf as she follows Eanos into the Anvil.

"Ferick Stonehelm, I presume? Your establishment comes highly recommended by your fellow citizens and is particularly serendipitous since I've discovered a taste for dwarven ale." She places a pair of gold coins upon the bar. "One for myself, and a milk stout for my, ahhh servant." She shrugs as if to say there's no accounting for taste. "I'll bet you see all sorts with the travelers you get through here."

Elenka glances back at Audra and motions her forward. "We're looking for someone who passed through here maybe two months ago? Maybe he stopped in here. I hope you can help..."

[sblock=OOC]
Gather Info (Alecks): 1d20+15=20

jkason, seriously, with your modifiers you should be making your own checks instead of using them for aid another. Generally, the +2 isn't going to be a benefit on good rolls, maybe not on bad rolls, just on borderline rolls. It would also advance the scene quicker and take a bit of the pressure off the one person making the rolls. (I've never been fond of choosing the person with the highest relevant skill and having everyone else use the aid another action for skill challenges.)[/sblock]

• • • Elenka Danyllova • • •

[sblock=MiniStats][size=+1]Elenka[/size] Human Summoner 5
Initiative: +2 Perception: +7

AC: 16 (12 touch; 14 flat-footed) [20 w/Shield]
HP: 37 Current: 37
CMB: +4 CMD: 16 Fort: +1 Ref: +3 Will: +6

In Hand:
Spells:
1st level: 4/5 remaining.
2nd level: 2/3 remaining.
Rod of Extend: 2/3 remaining (3rd lv. or lower)
Special: Summon Monster 3 6/6

[size=+1]Drevezh'Korol[/size] Eidolon
Initiative: +2 Perception: +5; Darkvision 60 ft.

AC: 20 (12 touch; 18 flat-footed) [24 w/Mage Armor]
HP: 38 Current: 38
CMB: +9 CMD: 20 Fort: +5 Ref: +3 Will: +4

In Hand: --
Conditions: [/sblock]

IronWolf

blank
Fulgrim takes in the tap room, looking over the patrons that are already here. He lets the others do the talking, a little out of his element when it comes to making small talk and seeking out information on the person they seek.

He does motion for a dwarven ale, a quick, friendly nod to the dwarven proprietor as he places his coin on the bar, preferring not to interupt his friends with a dwarven exchange of pleasantries.

jkason

First Post
[sblock=ooc]
jkason, seriously, with your modifiers you should be making your own checks instead of using them for aid another. Generally, the +2 isn't going to be a benefit on good rolls, maybe not on bad rolls, just on borderline rolls. It would also advance the scene quicker and take a bit of the pressure off the one person making the rolls. (I've never been fond of choosing the person with the highest relevant skill and having everyone else use the aid another action for skill challenges.)

I can do that. I'll wait to see the results of this round, then have Eanos help with the workload, as it were.[/sblock]

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases