[LPF] Ties that Bind - Page 28




+ Log in or register to post
Page 28 of 54 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 537
  1. #271
    Registered User
    Cutpurse (Lvl 5)

    Qik's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    New Orleans, US
    Posts
    1,925

    Ignore Qik
    OOC
    Yeah, I can see how that would be vague. I guess I'm trying to encourage diversifying without prodding you into a specific direction.

    I see a lot of potential use for the knowledge skills. No one's rolled a Know (Local) yet, which I think could be used in a variety of ways: is there an especially cheap inn nearby? An especially vital supplies store? A watering hole for the horses? A shortcut through the woods? That sort of thing.

    Know (Geography) could tell you similar things: what's the easiest route to get from A to B? That could be very helpful. Given that Alecks is traveling alone in the wilderness, it's probably safe to assume he's no slouch when it comes to the outdoors. With that in mind, he's going to know how to travel efficiently. Trying to duplicate that could help you pick up his trail.

    Know (Nature): the stream here is dry this time of year, so he probably didn't travel this way, etc.

    While tracking is out, I'd still be inclined to say Survival could be useful: for instance, I'd accept it to tell you whether route X or route Y seems more travel-able, which in turn would suggest a path to travel for both you and for Alecks.

    Again, I'm sorry all this is a bit vague: I prefer to try to leave things as open as possible, rather than dictate or constrain. If it helps, we're a little more than halfway through the mechanics of the skill challenge, and I've been thinking of ways to expedite things a bit. Everyone has said they're cool with the pace, so I haven't tried to jump the tracks too much, but we've been traveling enough at this point that I'm planning on reshuffling the original order of things so that we can have a change of pace. All of which is to say: change is coming, so please, press on!

 

  • #272
    Audra nods in agreement to the plan of resting. She quickly blows through her meal, with her high powered metabolism it's no wonder she doesn't gain weight the way she eats. She settles back and takes a sip of her drink and looks into it thoughtfully, her eyes having a far away look as she gets lost again in memories, a disturbingly frequent event after the revelation of her brother being alive. A single tear wells up in her right eye and she blinks that eye a couple of times, sending the tear running down her cheek and dropping off, landing on her backpack next to where she has parked her rump. She wipes at her cheek with her sleeve and as her head turns, she spots the pack. Her eyes linger on it a moment. She sets her drink down and pulls her pack onto her lap and unties the leather strip that seals the side pocket. She reaches in and slides out the old card the multi-colored Gnome had given her. She flips it over gently, taking in the back of the card before flipping it back over again. She whispers, low, but sadly for her loud enough her companions can still hear.

    I wish I knew I was on the right path, Alecks. Either way, I will find you.

    Her eyes focus on the card for a second and she carefully places her fingertips upon the chain painted side.

    Sapo will guide me, giving me what I need when I am to have it. I'm coming with help, this time, dear Brother. Just hang on.

    She closes her eyes, fingertips still resting on the card. She takes a deep breath and her shoulders relax, her head leaning back so she her eyes, if they were open, would aim up toward the heavens.

    Oneness through knowledge. Oneness through emotion. Oneness with the Heavens.

    She lowers her head again, opening her eyes and looking at the card. As the day wears on and evening approaches, Audra gets restless, the Monk being a bit fidgety.

    I don't think I can even meditate right now. I have the urge to move. I am going to walk around town, just have a look around. Anyone wants to join me is welcome.

    ooc
    Just felt the need to write some drama here. And who knows, maybe this card will actually give some useful clue. Besides, it's just a cool scene. I'm thinking maybe after eating having her suggest taking a walk around the town. I'm posting this on the presumption that the card isn't going to be quite as generous as she might want it to be.
    I fight beneath this flag against the Darkness. Pay no attention to the cost in land and lives, this war must be won by the light!

    Living Pathfinder: Canasta Emeraldas, Human Bard Level 1

    Retired LPF: Audra Frost, Human Monk, Level 6 | Marcus Cole, Half-Elf Ranger 3/Wizard (Admixture Evocation) 1

  • #273
    Cowled Justice of LPF COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

    GlassEye's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, MO
    Posts
    5,996

    Ignore GlassEye
    Elenka and Drevezh'korol eat though not nearly as ravenously as Audra. After traveling and camping for a week Elenka is ready to sink into a nice, thick-mattressed feather bed of gnomish make when Audra suggests a walk about the town. Elenka's nose twitches, the only indication of her irritation at the suggestion, but Drevezh'korol nods.

    "I would like to see this city of the gnomes built in the woods."

    Elenka stifles a sigh; she won't deny Drevezh'korol his little pleasures.

    "We'll go with you but we should go if we don't want to end up walking in the dark."

    Once outside the Sprite Elenka stops and stares at Drevezh'korol for several long moments.

    "What is it?"

    "Thinking; now hush."

    Finally she nods and steps over to Drevezh'korol and begins casting a spell. When she finishes the rune upon the wood man's head flares with a chill radiance and his eyes gleam with magically-induced lore. Elenka then touches his shoulder and bestows a bit of insight from the Queen of Wisdom upon him. Drevezh'korol nods in understanding and turns to survey the gnomish city.

    "Ah, I think I see..."

    OOC
    Casting Lesser Evolution Surge: Skilled (Knowledge Geography) on Drev then Guidance for a total K (Geography) check of +13.
    K (Geography) for insights into Alecks travel: 1d20+13=33

    Note: I also made a Perception check for Elenka but it was not good: 1d20+8=14


    __
    • • • Elenka Danyllova • • •__• • Drevezh'Korol • •

    MiniStats
    Elenka Human Summoner 5
    Initiative: +2 Perception: +7

    AC: 16 (12 touch; 14 flat-footed) [20 w/Shield]
    HP: 37 Current: 37
    CMB: +4 CMD: 16 Fort: +1 Ref: +3 Will: +6

    In Hand:
    Spells:
    1st level: 4/5 remaining.
    2nd level: 3/3 remaining.
    Rod of Extend: 2/3 remaining (3rd lv. or lower)
    Special: Summon Monster 3 6/6

    Drevezh'Korol Eidolon
    Initiative: +2 Perception: +5; Darkvision 60 ft.

    AC: 20 (12 touch; 18 flat-footed) [24 w/Mage Armor]
    HP: 38 Current: 38
    CMB: +9 CMD: 20 Fort: +5 Ref: +3 Will: +4

    In Hand: --
    Conditions:
    Last edited by GlassEye; Friday, 6th July, 2012 at 04:25 AM.

  • #274
    Fulgrim eats a good meal, keeping the hearty foods coming. Those that watch note that he seems to consume nearly as much ale as he does food, though his constitution seems none the worse off because of it. Fulgrim seems less concerned with some of the intricacies of the search, though he keeps a close eye on the taproom for anyone out of place.

    He is nearly halfway through an ale that any keeping track of lost count of long ago when Audra suggests looking about town a bit. Fulgrim raises an eyebrow, but brings his mug back to his lips and drains the rest of the ale before setting it back down on the table. He slides his chair out and stands.

    "Ta da town it is." Fulgrim replies. "Mebbe a little air would do us good." He absently taps the haft of this axe as he makes ready to follow the others out.

  • #275
    Registered User
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)



    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    8,507

    Ignore jkason

    Eanos Setirav, human inquisitor

    ooc
    Apologies, Qik, I phrased things poorly. I knew there were a few Know skills that could be useful, but Eanos is trained in less applicable ones (dungeoneering and planes), and I assumed useful info would probably have DCs higher than 10.

    Hadn't considered Survival could be applied as you suggest, though, so I'll make sure to have Eanos give a go to than when we're back on the road.


    Eanos sits a moment as the others stand to leave. He glances in the direction the gnome had indicated the beds were, but he doesn't have to stretch his insights far to realize where the consensus lies. He nods and rises with the others, heading out to the street.

    One eyebrow raises as he watches Elenka infusing her companion with magical insights of his own.

    "Now that's a secret worth knowing, yes?" he mutters with a clear expression of respect for the young woman.

    ooc
    Wanted to XP you, GE, but apparently haven't spread enough of it. Excellent use of that spell.


    mini stats
    Eanos Setirav
    Initiative: +6
    AC: 17 (19 w/ SoF)
    HP: 29 Current: 29
    CMB: +4 CMD: 17 Fort: +5 Reflex: +5 Will: +8

    Conditions: None

    In Hand:None

    Arrows: 33/33
    Blunt Arrows: 20/20
    Cold Iron Arrows: 19/19
    Silver Blunt Arrows: 16/16
    CLW Wand charges: 31/50 remaining (second wand full)

    Judgement: 2/2 Remaining Determination: 2/2 remaining
    Silver Tongued Haggler: 5/6 remaining
    Spells: Orisons (DC 13): Brand, Create Water, Detect Magic, Disrupt Undead, Guidance, Light
    1st (4/4 remaining)(DC 14): Divine Favor, Expeditious Retreat, Protection from Evil, Shield of Faith, Wrath
    2nd (2/2 remaining)(DC 15): Silence, Weapon of Awe
    **My most recent fiction is in Viridian Legacy: The Wasting of Duny Slough**

  • #276
    Audra is frankly a bit surprised that her companions, weary as they are, all seem willing to bare her company as she tries to calm her nerves and mind. Once outside she stops for a nice, deep breath of air while waiting for her companions to join her.

    I don't suppose anyone has any idea where anything is here? I'd just pick a direction and go if I had to choose.

    Not looking for anything particular, but scanning side to side, taking in any signs, shops and the like that she may pass. Audra walks at a very leisurely pace.

    Seems like such a quiet place. People seem friendly enough.
    I fight beneath this flag against the Darkness. Pay no attention to the cost in land and lives, this war must be won by the light!

    Living Pathfinder: Canasta Emeraldas, Human Bard Level 1

    Retired LPF: Audra Frost, Human Monk, Level 6 | Marcus Cole, Half-Elf Ranger 3/Wizard (Admixture Evocation) 1

  • #277
    Cowled Justice of LPF COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

    GlassEye's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, MO
    Posts
    5,996

    Ignore GlassEye
    "Air is good... Quiet and friendly is good..." says the wood man in a detached and distracted manner.

    Drevezh'korol continues to examine the city and more particularly the land it sits on with the insight granted through Elenka's magics. A nudge from Elenka gets the wood man to walking along with the others but he doesn't yet share whatever he is mulling over and may have pieced together about Alecks' travel through this city.

    "The real secret is getting the overgrown stump to share what he knows." She smiles with no small amount of smugness but eventually relents. "Drevezh'korol is of otherworldly flesh and spirit and so is more receptive to certain magics. I could cast the spell on you or me but it would do nothing except give us a headache, perhaps." She sighs wistfully. "But that is how Erwahai in her Wisdom has ordered things."

    OOC
    Thanks, jkason!


    __
    • • • Elenka Danyllova • • •__• • Drevezh'Korol • •

    MiniStats
    Elenka Human Summoner 5
    Initiative: +2 Perception: +7

    AC: 16 (12 touch; 14 flat-footed) [20 w/Shield]
    HP: 37 Current: 37
    CMB: +4 CMD: 16 Fort: +1 Ref: +3 Will: +6

    In Hand:
    Spells:
    1st level: 4/5 remaining.
    2nd level: 3/3 remaining.
    Rod of Extend: 2/3 remaining (3rd lv. or lower)
    Special: Summon Monster 3 6/6

    Drevezh'Korol Eidolon
    Initiative: +2 Perception: +5; Darkvision 60 ft.

    AC: 20 (12 touch; 18 flat-footed) [24 w/Mage Armor]
    HP: 38 Current: 38
    CMB: +9 CMD: 20 Fort: +5 Ref: +3 Will: +4

    In Hand: --
    Conditions:

  • #278
    Registered User
    Cutpurse (Lvl 5)

    Qik's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    New Orleans, US
    Posts
    1,925

    Ignore Qik
    OOC
    Those are some great posts, All. Really appreciate the time and effort.

    Today's kind of a crummy day for me, RP-wise - early work morning, and I'm going to be going out for the fiance's dinner soon. So I'll probably hold off until tomorrow to post, when I can do it justice. But I just wanted to pop in and say thanks for the effort.

  • #279
    Registered User
    Cutpurse (Lvl 5)

    Qik's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    New Orleans, US
    Posts
    1,925

    Ignore Qik
    OOC
    No worries, jkason. For my part, I didn't mean to sound patronizing there. I was just riffing on general possibilities.

    Despite the intensity of Audra's gaze, the card keeps silent. Perhaps it is not the right time of day. Perhaps it doesn't respond to entreaties. Perhaps it has nothing to offer at the moment. Perhaps it is simply stubborn. Whatever the reason, it remains mundane, offering nothing, as obtuse as the one who provided it. With a final, heavy sigh, the redheaded monk returns it to the folds of her robe.

    The travel-weary group finishes their meal and shuffles outside the tavern. The air is cool with evening's coming. The forest canopy adds to the approaching dimness. They walk into the forest.

    The initial edge of Coppertree's wooded section is predominated by young trees and faster-growing plants. Although unsystematically distributed, these nevertheless seem to not be of natural growth: their placement around the regular streets and rows of buildings suggests that the populace is responsible for their planting. These roles are reversed rather abruptly further on into the city, where the young foliage is replaced by towering old-growth forest, around which the city's structures are built. Audra recalls hearing stories from a gnome adept of the Diamond Heart of the ravages of Tal Hallow under the tyrannical rule of Sas'Ner, who among many other things, sought to pillage the land's resources for his own evil ends. Perhaps the abrupt border of the Coppertree Wood proper is evidence of his impact on the land? If so, it would seem as though the gnomes of Tal Hallow are already erasing his ill-begotten effect on their homeland.

    Coppertree changes as it enters the old-growth forest. The roads rise in the form of wooden planks, encircling the breathtakingly-large trees, which themselves are dotted with structures up their trunks: homes, shops, municipalities built as extensions of the forest itself. In addition to the dirt roads, tiers of wooden lanes wind the forest, criss-crossing their way throughout the city. It is yet another example of the Tal Hallow folk merging their civilization with nature. It is quite beautiful.

    This beauty seems somewhat lost on Drevezh'Korol. Or rather, he has other things on his mind. The wood-being keeps his thoughts to himself as the group takes in the sights of Tal Hallow, at least for the time being.

    Although the city's sights are marvelous, fatigue begins to set in for the group. Further, their wanderings have taken them farther away from The Sprite than they anticipated: it would seem pointless to make the walk back to the city's edge. So instead, they begin looking for a place to stay. Oddly enough, it is Drev who asserts himself in this regard: as they walk down the road in a direction indicated by a passer-by, the wood-creature suddenly stops, studies his surroundings a long moment, and then points down a narrow side street. "Here," he says simply. The street seems merely dark to some, but Fulgrim says, "Aye, it looks like there's a inn built inta the side a' that tree." Sure enough, the shape of an inn emerges from the darkness as the others approach.

    OOC
    Hunger is forcing me to cut it a bit short there. I'll pick up once you all enter the inn.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Coppertree Wood Road.jpg  
    Last edited by Qik; Saturday, 7th July, 2012 at 10:38 PM.

  • #280
    Audra seems perfectly happy with the rising wooden plank walkways. Her time in Venza is mostly spent among the wooden planks of her home district there. She stops and looks to this shop or that, but finds nothing that holds her own interest or makes her think of her brother. Finally, her pants and tunic starting to cling to her slightly from the sweat of the walk, she joins the others in the quest for a night's shelter. When Drev points out a spot she looks into the darkness, seeing nothing but and looks back at the wood-tree-man with an eyebrow quirked. She glances at Fulgrim as well, then shrugs as she recalls the not-so-visually limited races would be better able to see. She shrugs her backpack, the card secured in it's little pouch on the side, tied in safely, further upon her shoulder and follows the others.

    If I've learned one thing from the last couple of months, it's to trust Drev's instincts.

    She follows as they approach, watching the inn as it emerges from the darkness.

    I'm glad he didn't reach this deep. Wow.

    Audra looks around in wonder before moving through the door of the Inn, spurred on by her own need now, to sit and rest, perhaps meditate and then sleep.

    Wonder if they have any cold juice here. That'd sure hit the spot.
    I fight beneath this flag against the Darkness. Pay no attention to the cost in land and lives, this war must be won by the light!

    Living Pathfinder: Canasta Emeraldas, Human Bard Level 1

    Retired LPF: Audra Frost, Human Monk, Level 6 | Marcus Cole, Half-Elf Ranger 3/Wizard (Admixture Evocation) 1

  • + Log in or register to post
    Page 28 of 54 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Battlestar Galactica-Final Season (4) 4/18/08--The Ties That Bind
      By Truth Seeker in forum Miscellaneous Geek Talk & Media Lounge
      Replies: 59
      Last Post: Friday, 25th April, 2008, 09:16 AM
    2. Ties that Bind OOC - Citadel Adbar
      By gabrion in forum Talking the Talk
      Replies: 49
      Last Post: Monday, 5th December, 2005, 09:22 PM
    3. Ties that Bind OOC - Silverymoon
      By gabrion in forum Talking the Talk
      Replies: 38
      Last Post: Saturday, 19th November, 2005, 03:23 PM
    4. Ties that Bind - 3.5 Forgotten Realms Gestalt
      By gabrion in forum Talking the Talk
      Replies: 356
      Last Post: Thursday, 10th November, 2005, 07:20 PM
    5. Ties that Bind - Silverymoon (Rogues Gallery)
      By gabrion in forum RPGs & Tabletop Gaming Discussion
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: Tuesday, 1st November, 2005, 04:43 PM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •