[LPF] Ties that Bind

jkason

First Post
Eanos Setirav, human inquisitor

[sblock=ooc]So sorry, guys! Let's see if I can't get Eanos caught up in a character-appropriate way...[/sblock]

Eanos had wandered around with the others quietly, content to take in the sights. When they entered the inn, however, his easy demeanor shifted quickly.

He'd left the temple behind, denouncing their teachings and swearing to cut down each and every Ear, but some things were hard to change. A lifetime training to infiltrate, to read people who didn't want to be read, to avoid being read oneself. Remain aloof outwardly, but always, always guard against giving away a weakness.

But here: where his companions saw joy and revelry, Eanos saw raw, unbridled emotions. These people, they were ... everything was just there. On the surface, thrown out to the world with a reckless abandon and no apparent concern for who might see what they felt and thought, for the openings they gave to ... listeners. For a while, it was all overwhelming. He even whispered a quick prayer to his lady, reading the crowd with every gift he had in an effort to find the secret they were hiding, because everyone had a secret.

Didn't they?

It wasn't until Elenka bumped back into him, flush from her rousing dance that the archer snapped out of it. Elenka, Audra, even Fulgrim. He could feel their openness wash over him like a spring cloudburst.

The red-haired man smiled, a brief, unguarded moment, and scanned the crowd.

[color=cc666]"Sure he's fine,"[/color] he says. "He'd be mortified to find his end in a gnome pile-up, yes? Reason enough he'll keep to his feet, I expect."

Sure enough, the dwarf's imminent return proves Eanos right. Relaxing again, he enjoys Fulgrim's brief fame as The Dwarf Who Dances.

[sblock=ooc]Guidance Silver-Tongued Sense Motive. (1d20+17=24)[/sblock]

[sblock=mini stats]Eanos Setirav
Initiative: +6
AC: 17 (19 w/ SoF)
HP: 29 Current: 29
CMB: +4 CMD: 17 Fort: +5 Reflex: +5 Will: +8

Conditions: None

In Hand:None

Arrows: 33/33
Blunt Arrows: 20/20
Cold Iron Arrows: 19/19
Silver Blunt Arrows: 16/16
CLW Wand charges: 31/50 remaining (second wand full)

Judgement: 2/2 Remaining Determination: 2/2 remaining
Silver Tongued Haggler: 4/6 remaining
Spells: Orisons (DC 13): Brand, Create Water, Detect Magic, Disrupt Undead, Guidance, Light
1st (4/4 remaining)(DC 14): Divine Favor, Expeditious Retreat, Protection from Evil, Shield of Faith, Wrath
2nd (2/2 remaining)(DC 15): Silence, Weapon of Awe[/sblock]

Qik

First Post
[sblock=Eanos]It's clear to Eanos that the crowd's expression of emotions are genuine. He also gets the funny feeling, though, that something is buoying their capacity to express these genuine emotions. He can't put his finger on it, and nothing sinister seems at work, but there's a sense as though something - in the room? in the place? - is supporting the inn's patrons as they laugh and dance and sing.[/sblock]The group lingers a bit in the tavern, enjoying the sight of the revelry and the fine drinks, the unidentified Gumption Juice being one such example. Fatigue begins to take its toll, however, and the five soon decide to retire to their quarters.

Spectalavanishom leads the way. The inn rises up the base of the tree to an impressive height - even those of the group comfortable seeing in the dark could not see its height from the outside. Spec leads them up a series of winding staircases, which seem cruelly unending given their increasing urge to sleep. As they rise, the sounds of the merriment below recede into a thick silence. At one point, they pass a door opening out to the wooden highroads of the wider city.

"Bologlomelomia - he's the owner a' this place - has been talkin' bout gettin' a lift in here for years. Years! But you know what they say about entropy..." She apparently assumes the rest of that comment is forthcoming to everyone's mind. Even though it is not. She arrives at a point where the staircase branches off into a minor hallway; at its end, two small doors face each other. "Had to look a bit, but we found a place with some largefolk beds. Lucky for you the centaurs aren't passing through!" She chuckles to herself. "Nah, they couldn't get up here anyway. They don't stay over, just pop in for the music. Anyway, enjoy!" She hurries off before the group can say a word of thanks.

Although everyone is weary at this point, Drevezh'Korol makes a point of requesting a brief group meeting before everyone turns in. Finally, he explains what has been holding his attention all evening.

"Ley lines," says the tree-being simply. "Or actually, one large one, the largest I have ever seen. I had been seeing signs ever since we approached Coppertree Wood, but my suspicions were only confirmed when we entered the forest. The way the trees go, the way the largest ones line up..." Drev trails off, lost in thought for a moment.

"This place lies directly over it. I believe that partly explains the exuberance of those below - the spirit of this place buoys them."

[sblock=OOC]No worries jk! It happens.

Sorry to take Drev over, GE. I'm not a fan of doing that, but in this instance, it seemed the most efficient way to introduce this info IC.[/sblock]

GlassEye

Adventurer
Elenka finds herself blinking in incomprehension as Spectalavanishom chatters and rattles off long gnomish names as if her human ears can follow. She figures it's easier just to follow along and soon finds herself with her companions at a pair of rooms high in the tree and their host hurrying off to some other task.

Drevezh'korol's revelation is equally baffling to the summoner and her brow knits, her lips part slightly and she raises one hand as if she is about to question but she lets it drop and shakes her head. She clearly can't let his pronouncement rest, however, and she looks at Drevezh'korol and then at each of her companions to see if they've fared any better than she at understanding the wood man.

"I don't understand, Drev. Ley lines? What to ley lines have to do with us?"

[sblock=OOC]No problem, Qik! Use Drev whenever you need. I'm not the sort that insists I'm the only one that can dictate my companion's actions/words.[/sblock]

__
• • • Elenka Danyllova • • •__• • Drevezh'Korol • •

[sblock=MiniStats][size=+1]Elenka[/size] Human Summoner 5
Initiative: +2 Perception: +7

AC: 16 (12 touch; 14 flat-footed) [20 w/Shield]
HP: 37 Current: 37
CMB: +4 CMD: 16 Fort: +1 Ref: +3 Will: +6

In Hand:
Spells:
1st level: 4/5 remaining.
2nd level: 3/3 remaining.
Rod of Extend: 2/3 remaining (3rd lv. or lower)
Special: Summon Monster 3 6/6

[size=+1]Drevezh'Korol[/size] Eidolon
Initiative: +2 Perception: +5; Darkvision 60 ft.

AC: 20 (12 touch; 18 flat-footed) [24 w/Mage Armor]
HP: 38 Current: 38
CMB: +9 CMD: 20 Fort: +5 Ref: +3 Will: +4

In Hand: --
Conditions: [/sblock]

Qik

First Post
Drevezh'Korol shuffles slightly. Given his stoicism, it's a fairly blatant display of discomfort.

"A ley line of this magnitude...would have it's own...gravity," he says, struggling to find the words to express what for him seems so clear. "Living things would unknowingly gather to it. As if to an oasis. If Alecks passed through here, he could very well have been drawn to it." He pauses for a moment, considering.

"From what I can tell, the line travels southward, towards Burrowtown. So following it will not take us far from our present course." After another pause, he adds, "I know this is vague. But...I believe it to be significant."

jkason

First Post
Eanos Setirav, human inquisitor

Eanos nods.

"Was something ... off 'bout the party downstairs," he says as Drev reveals his magical knowledge. "Wasn't making folk feel anything they didn't. It just ... bouyed up what was already in them. An extra charge they shouldn't have had. What Drev's saying jibes with what I could read off the crowd.

"Even if he thought he was just deciding on a whim, sounds like the Line would have been an unseen nudge on those decisions."

[sblock=mini stats]Eanos Setirav
Initiative: +6
AC: 17 (19 w/ SoF)
HP: 29 Current: 29
CMB: +4 CMD: 17 Fort: +5 Reflex: +5 Will: +8

Conditions: None

In Hand:None

Arrows: 33/33
Blunt Arrows: 20/20
Cold Iron Arrows: 19/19
Silver Blunt Arrows: 16/16
CLW Wand charges: 31/50 remaining (second wand full)

Judgement: 2/2 Remaining Determination: 2/2 remaining
Silver Tongued Haggler: 4/6 remaining
Spells: Orisons (DC 13): Brand, Create Water, Detect Magic, Disrupt Undead, Guidance, Light
1st (4/4 remaining)(DC 14): Divine Favor, Expeditious Retreat, Protection from Evil, Shield of Faith, Wrath
2nd (2/2 remaining)(DC 15): Silence, Weapon of Awe[/sblock]

GlassEye

Adventurer
Elenka nods fully accepting of Drevezh'korol's explanation.

"This is insight provided by the Queen in Her Wisdom. We should follow it. Audra? Fulgrim? What do you think?"

__

In Hand:
Spells:

Artur Hawkwing

First Post
Audra listens to Drev's reasoning for leading them here. She kneels down, placing her palm on the floor as if she expects to feel an actual pull on her person. She isn't disappointed when it doesn't actually happen. She looks up from her thought at the Summoner's prodding.

It makes sense. As good a place to start as anywhere else. As I said, his insight over the last few weeks has proven itself to be most trustworthy. I say we make our own lay lines, ourselves in our beds, and get a fresh start on it in the morning. Assuming, that is, that Drev is willing to serve as our guide, since this ley line is something I don't think the rest of us can...feel...as it was. Besides, shortest distance between two points is either a straight line or be tossed from a catapult. Frankly, I don't much feel like a boulder.

There is a more familiar sparkle of light within the Monk's eyes as she comments about the straightest path, as she remembers for a moment the unnamed source of that bit of wisdom. She stands back up and stretches her arms out, her back popping once or twice as she does.

I have to do some stretching soon or I'm going to have all sorts of stiffness.

Qik

First Post
Drev nods slightly. "While ley lines are themselves hard to perceive if one is untrained, their evidence is clear enough if one knows what to look for. With a line this large, I will be able to show you its observable effects on the land." With that, he looks to Elenka, as if to say, it's your bed time, no?

The group turns in. Their sleep is blanketed by the sounds of the wind rustling the leaves. The treetop location of the inn means that this sound envelops the rooms, rather than sounding from a single distant point. It is soothing. Intermittent insect sounds only add to the aural landscape of peacefulness.

Everyone drops off quickly. Three of the four sleep soundly. One does not.

Audra's dreams are once again filled with a muddled series of images, some old, some new: dragons, river boats, ley lines, tree top villages, instantiations of gnomish ingenuity. She tosses and turns throughout the night, never quite waking, but never fully resting, either. Finally, as dawn breaks, these images coalesce into a clear scene: her brother, walking the ley line, avoiding the road, avoiding Burrowtown altogether, heading in a straight line into the woods, into the unknown.

She awakes with a heavy exhalation, a stray sunbeam in her eye. She notices a momentary glow from where the card is stored, which soon ebbs away. When she takes a look at it, the card is unresponsive, its powers having retreated once more.

[sblock=OOC]Didn't stat block that because I'm assuming Audra will tell the others of her dream.

Next considerations: how quickly do you leave town? Travel plans? etc.[/sblock]

Artur Hawkwing

First Post
Audra returns the card to its pouch on the backpack and ties it down safely. She quietly pours a little water from the pitcher provided into the provided bowl and splashes herself in the face. She looks at the bed, and then at the bit of sunlight. Resigning herself to the end of her rest, she settles on the bed, legs in front of her and crossed. She places her hands in her lap and takes a deep breath. Straightening her back she closes her eyes and exhales slowly, speaking softly, but aloud, which is a bit unusual for her.

Breathing. Spirit. Discipline. Be prepared for the unexpected. Concentrate. Mind and body as one.

She lifts her hands from her lap and places them palm against palm. She pulls them up until her fingers are pointing straight up toward her nose. Her breathing rate reduces as she uses the techniques she has been taught to try to bring things back under control, as much as she can, anyway.

GlassEye

Adventurer
When Elenka awakes she is brimming with energy and she rushes through her summons and other regular spellcasting so that she can more quickly join up with the rest of her traveling companions. She nods sagely to Drevezh'korol.

"I think you are right about this ley line. I haven't slept this soundly since we left home. Let's join the others! Come, Audra. I'm anxious to get on the road, you must be even more so."

__

In Hand:
Spells:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases