The Future of D&D Seminar - Full Video from PAX East

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The full video from the Future of D&D seminar at PAX East this weekend is now live.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yoa_xQTya8Y"]The Future of D&D Panel at PAX East - YouTube[/ame]​

The next iteration of Dungeons & Dragons is on its way! Join D&D Senior Manager Mike Mearls and Lead Rules Editor Jeremy Crawford in a Q&A about the next D&D, and how the open playtest is using fan feedback to help shape the future of the game.

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
I have to say that the guys certainly came off as doing the best they can for all of us. And I liked at least 90%+ of what I heard. Now all they have to do is make it work! ;)

Roland55

First Post
Guess I've gotten pretty 'easy' over the decades.

I liked about 95% of what I heard. And the last 5% ... certainly no 'killer' for me.

Looks like I'll be around for this next edition.:)

I will say that one thing made me feel ... uneasy. The Head of R&D for WOTC, and therefore for D&D, is a man more than a few decades younger than I. Whew.

I must say I was impressed by both of them. This really showed me they are working hard but in a thoughtful way. It also shows me they take the need to balance out a variety play styles serously.

PS When did David Cross start working for wizards :)

ProlificVoid

Explorer
Win

It was really, really great getting to see this - and so soon - despite being unable to attend nearly all cons. Good quality, too, so hats off to WotC for that, too.
And thanks, Russ, for making sure we got the hook-up!

Jeremy and Mike did a great job, and Mearls even dished out the humor, too!
(as well as the audience member who asked about Paizo - funny stuff)

FATDRAGONGAMES

First Post
I really liked what I heard, and it looks like what is coming is pretty much what I've always wanted D&D to be. The guys came across sincere about their love for the game too.

Argyle King

Legend
Much of it sounded good. A lot of things sounded positive.

One thing stuck out as being potentially bad. There was a comment in which Mike said they won't have to worry about balancing different modules because they know that a specific module will be for a certain type of game. That leads me to question how well the game will work I want to use more than one module. Will I get odd (or game breaking) results if I flip more than a few switches?

Without wading through the full interview---did they mention digital aides? Mobile Web/iOS/Android? I won't jump to a new edition unless WoTC can wash the bitter taste of Master Tools-->E-Tools-->D+Di out of my mouth.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Standard Setting breadth I agreed with.
Eberron and Darksun push the boundaries. They are likely to get more unique and personalized rules than a medieval fantasy world. That's cool and it brings settings back as an important element of the game as well as a more intimate and distinctive interaction at each table.

Adventure Creation & Setting Creation guidelines hand in hand with Rules Selection guidelines for each home game are a major step forward IMHO. It is something that is sorely needed with the best stuff I've ever heard having come word of mouth in the 80s and only recently during play of OD&D.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases