The Future of D&D Seminar - Full Video from PAX East

jbear

First Post
I think what that means is something like ' a module to turn up the deadliness dial'. They don't have to worry too much about whether that is balanced so much because it is a feature that a certain type of DM will want for a certain type of gritty game. Other DMs can ignore it. But even if you decide to flip that switch it won't cause a problem if you want to have gridless combat or not.

Personally, I enjoyed the video. I hope some of the panic merchants will be calmed somewhat by this, even if for nothing else other than that it is clear that the people behind D&DNext are very sincere, there heart is in exactly the right place, they really really want to make this work and they seem well aware of the magnitude of the challenge and the issues that need to be addressed across the board.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Without wading through the full interview---did they mention digital aides? Mobile Web/iOS/Android? I won't jump to a new edition unless WoTC can wash the bitter taste of Master Tools-->E-Tools-->D+Di out of my mouth.

They're 10% through developing the basic ruleset. Don't expect even hints of that stuff for a year, at the very least. Probably longer.

Dang! Thanks Morrus! I didn't think my reply warranted a realistic response--but I definitely appreciate your post. If D+D Next has a good, comprehensive digital aide that truly enhances play--I will jump on. Otherwise I will be content to read, reread my 3.5 tomes and wonder what might have been if Master Tools/E-Tools had been all it was promised.

Argyle King

Legend
They mentioned being more cautious in their approach to releasing material. It seemed as though the idea for D&D Durango to have a slower release schedule than 3rd or 4th did.

While I applaud that in the sense that many simple mistakes which made it through to final products in previous editions might be caught now that more time is (supposedly) between products, I am cautious about what that means for the modular approach. If the core kernel of the game is not capable of popping into the experience I want right out of the gate, there might be a long time until I get the tools I need to view D&D Durango as something I want to spend money on. Likewise, since I often feel as though my interests place me in the minority when it comes to what D&D players enjoy, I'm not sure what to expect as far as how long I'd have to wait for D&D to be a game which can tell some of the stories I want to tell.

I think slowing down product release is good for a lot of reasons. I am somewhat cautious how that will mix with the modular approach though. How much material the core game covers will be of interest too.

Finally, there is the issue of how DDi interacts with the modular approach. If some of the things I enjoy (which, again, I would say place me in somewhat of a minority) to fill a whole book, and there is only enough for a Dragon or Dungeon issue, I'm not a subscriber, and won't have those options available. Other gaming companies handle this issue by using pdfs; for example, when I bought the book of GURPS Low-Tech, there were also optional 'companion' pdfs which I bought to add to the material found in that book. How I got those pdfs was simply by buying the pdfs; no subscriptions to services or anything of that nature was necessary.

Being that WoTC currently does not deal in pdfs, and DDi is their primary resource for electronic content, I am lead to believe some of what I want might be locked behind DDi. I hope that is not the case, but, if it is, I'm not sure I find that to be a positive. I have high hopes for the things mentioned in the video, but -if a lot of hassle (DDi and etc) is involved in getting some of the content I want- that's going to be something of a buzzkill for me.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm liking what I hear so far. Like anyone, I have my doubts about those ambitions, but much of the verbiage sounds right to me.

I don't have much system variance - I've played the odd game here and there, but it's pretty much been 30 years of D&D. Mainly running it, lots of tinkering for the first 20 years of that.

My main worry - if it qualifies as one - is that D&D grew up organically; like a low budget movie that somehow just works. The first Star Wars film, or the first Rocky flick. Films that just hit the magic spot by fluke, almost. And when you start analysing them and trying to replicate the "experience" or "the elements we've identified" - you get the Star Wars prequels. That's the worry; over analysis can be stifling and is the antithesis of creativity.

But their hearts are clearly in the right place. They want this thing to work. They don't just want a profitable business line - they earnestly want this game to be *right*. It comes across in the way they talk about it.

I'm no more knowledgeable than anyone else - I'm not part of any play test, not been to any conventions, not seen the rule set. So I'm just going on what they're saying publicly.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'd add that my biggest fear is this whole "modern rules + classic feel" concept, because intuitively I don't see that as being possible. In my opinion, that classic feel was shaped BY the ruleset; that the warts were a feature, not a bug, and that you can't replicate A New Hope with modern CGI.

I can't see how they're going to do that. But they're game designers and I'm not. I'll wait and hope, and I'm predisposed to optimism.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
I'm heartened by this video. I was hesitant to watch it at first, mostly due to its length, but it turned out to be much more densely-packed with information than I expected. I got insight into the design philosophy, sure, but I'm mostly encouraged by the fact that they chose to put themselves out there like this. It might do them a world of good to periodically put out a video Q&A like this, to keep us informed and to put a face to D&D. Their sincerity is clearly evident, and that answers a lot of questions I had that I don't feel the need to ask now.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm heartened by this video. I was hesitant to watch it at first, mostly due to its length, but it turned out to be much more densely-packed with information than I expected. I got insight into the design philosophy, sure, but I'm mostly encouraged by the fact that they chose to put themselves out there like this. It might do them a world of good to periodically put out a video Q&A like this, to keep us informed and to put a face to D&D. Their sincerity is clearly evident, and that answers a lot of questions I had that I don't feel the need to ask now.

They did two or three of them at DDXP, too - only 9 or 10 weeks or so ago. I think that's a decently rapid timeline for Q&As.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
They did two or three of them at DDXP, too - only 9 or 10 weeks or so ago. I think that's a decently rapid timeline for Q&As.

This is the first one I've seen. I knew they did one, but I guess I missed the video somehow. I would likely have had a similar reaction to the earlier video. It helps to actually see and hear them.

Remove ads