D&D 5E D&D Next Design Goals (Article)

Kynn

Adventurer
It seems to be, at this time, mostly a content-free column. It might have meant something back three months ago, but it didn't really say anything revealing -- or really worth reading.

YRUSirius

First Post
I can't agree with you here. This article shines even more light on their very high level design goals. It's always illuminating reading how they communicate between themselves. :)

-YRUSirius

Last edited:

We had a game that felt like D&D and had the math RIGHT, and they killed it.
Is 4e dead? Is the math right... finally? Did 4e "feel" like D&D to a big slice of their previous (and now Paizo) customers?
You provide answers to questions that would not seem universally accepted.

The argument they are making is as illuminating about the design process as "I like to call it Passive Perception" was.
You're not a fan of Monte huh? WotC go and start making a new edition to "reunify" a divided fanbase and you don't want to buy into it? You don't think Mearls, Schwalb and Co. can tame Monte's wicked pre-4e ways? If so, you're really painting yourself into a vicious corner that half of my playing group (the ones who hate 4e) could directly identify with.

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

CasvalRemDeikun

Adventurer
Is 4e dead? Is the math right... finally? Did 4e "feel" like D&D to a big slice of their previous (and now Paizo) customers?
You provide answers to questions that would not seem universally accepted.
Umm, 'grats on proving my point. The point I was making is that "Feels like D&D" is 100% subjective.

You're not a fan of Monte huh? WotC go and start making a new edition to "reunify" a divided fanbase and you don't want to buy into it? You don't think Mearls, Schwalb and Co. can tame Monte's wicked pre-4e ways? If so, you're really painting yourself into a vicious corner that half of my playing group (the ones who hate 4e) could directly identify with.

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise
I wouldn't have as much of a problem with Monte if he showed the least bit of indication he has actually cracked the cover of the 4E PHB or even looked at a 4E character sheet. The Passive Perception thing irritates me because it is pretty disingenous of Mike Mearls to claim they want to reuinify the player base when they install a guy as lead designer that doesn't know the first thing about one of the things they are trying to unify. Monte is a good guy, he is actually from about sixty miles from where my dad grew up, but if he wants to be a part of the grand reunification, he needs to put a little more effort into it. A surgeon that is going to reattach both arms and both legs to a patient, but doesn't know the first thing about the left arm, SHOULD PROBABLY LEARN SOMETHING ABOUT THE LEFT ARM.

Remove ads