D&D 5E Jonathan Tweet & Rob Heinsoo: Making their own 5th Edition?

pemerton

Legend
I've been participating in the playtest for this and so far I really like it. I think it does a good job of riding the terrain between "traditional gaming" and "indy gaming" in a fun, innovative way.
If someone enjoys 4e because of the way in which it straddles those two positions, how does this new game compare? More indy? More trad? Or operating in different dimensions?

Rel

Liquid Awesome
If someone enjoys 4e because of the way in which it straddles those two positions, how does this new game compare? More indy? More trad? Or operating in different dimensions?

I'd say it skews more Indy than Trad compared to 4e.

I'd also say that it incorporates the things I like most from the various editions of D&D (including 4th) better than any game I've seen to date. Still has some rough edges and I also don't see it displacing my love for Savage Worlds anytime soon. But I definitely think it's a step in the right direction and I'm enjoying playing it.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
It looks quite cool. Sounds like a wonderful, fully formed, high fantasy campaign (with sweeeeet artwork), and their favorite houserules in a workable system.

I'm seriously interested.

But I wouldn't call this a love letter to their favorite game...I'd say it's more in the epic realm of a Taj Mahal or cutting off one's own ear.;)

:cool:

Alphastream

Adventurer
As with D&D Next, playtesters of 13th Age aren't allowed to share details. There isn't a formal NDA, but the intent is the same. So, I can't say whether it is awesome or not, and no one else should without consent by the publisher or designers.

3rd edition and 4th edition era designers going retroclone already. Man, time is flying! ;)
Keep in mind the original game is roughly 40 years old. There have been how many clothing/music/movie/etc. retro trends in that time? It shouldn't surprise us that it isn't just Wizards or Goodman looking at the past. I would argue that gaming companies (and not just D&D companies) have been very good at borrowing the best of the past. I would argue that most have been less capable, though not bad, at blending innovation with those efforts. I suspect that the industry has matured enough that we will see a more concerted blend of new and old in the future, in part because of D&D Next's very prominent example.

pauljathome

First Post
Ok, I hate to admit it, but I'm kinda gettin' excited about this... :)

Agreed.

Partly because of the designers involved. Partly because it sounds like they actually have a practical and useful focus. And partly because the world itself (together with the pictures) is sparking my interest.

It just seems a lot richer and more achievable than DndNext.

I'll definitely try to get into the next round of the playtest. And will very, very likely at least look at it when it comes out.

marketingman

Explorer
Willing to give it a try when ready. It does have the triad of artwork, setting and good design team to pull in at least a read thru but it will depend on the ability of follow up products to deliver also.:)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases