D&D 5E Jonathan Tweet & Rob Heinsoo: Making their own 5th Edition?

Greylond

First Post
Here's a few additional questions that are worth mulling over for anyone following or participating in this discussion. Does Hackmaster use the OGL? Could someone run D&D-esque games with Hackmaster?

Which version of HackMaster are you talking about? However, neither version uses the OGL. Allow me to elaborate;

HackMaster 4th Edition(published in 2001) uses the game mechanics from 1st and 2nd Edition, plus a bunch of new rules written by the K&Co staff. No OGL Stuff involved. It's really 1st/2nd Edition on Crack! Kenzer&Co aqquired a license to use the 1st&2nd Edition IP due to the results of a legal issue that was mediated by GAMA. The same license agreement allowed K&Co to publish Kingdoms of Kalamar(the K&Co written game setting) material for D&D 3rd Edition with the "Official D&D" logo on it, which also was outside of the OGL. At the time they were the only company outside of WOTC that was able to the "Official D&D" logo on their products and not have to use the OGL license.
Note that HM4 and the D&D3 KoK material were two different product lines

The new HackMaster(sometimes referred to as '5th Ed') is inspired by 1st Ed AD&D but the game mechanics are completely new and uses no IP from WOTC/TSR.

Can you use "D&D" adventures with either version? AD&D 1st or 2nd Edition stuff is very easy to use. D&D3 adventures can be converted, not real easy but possible. The HM4 game that I play in used a PF/D&D 3 adventure that was converted. I don't know if it is possible to use D&D4 stuff because I've never DM'ed D&D4.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases