D&D 5E Jonathan Tweet & Rob Heinsoo: Making their own 5th Edition?

Leif

Adventurer
Excited

[MENTION=59043]Walking Dad[/MENTION] said: you get always excited ;)

Yeah, I kinda do, don't I? I just got excited for a different reason about WotC openly soliciting questions from ENWorlders in another thread, but stating that the answers would only be availablle on the WotC site. That chaps me in the worst way.

Morrus deleted my post over there because I didn't follow the rules of engagement and only ask questions. (shrug)

I'm just glad he didn't take the dreaded BanHammer to my poor butt!

Last edited:

Walking Dad

First Post
This and that their "Open Playtest" is only open for people visiting the conventions. Pretty expensive to do for people not living in America. :(

I fear that 4th was my last D&D iteration...

enrious

This and that their "Open Playtest" is only open for people visiting the conventions. Pretty expensive to do for people not living in America. :(

"...beginning sometime in the spring, we will begin open playtesting. Through our web site, we will release a growing set of rules, classes, monsters and other materials for your study and feedback. "

Did they state that the above quoted portion is now invalid, to be replaced exclusively with convention testing instead of in addition to?

It's one thing to knock WotC (and there is plenty to justly do so) but barring some published change of policy, this seems misplaced.

Leif

Adventurer

It's expensive for Americans who don't live close to the selected venues, too!!

I agree that 4E was my last D&D. But, on the bright side, I now have two active games on ENWorld that are 1E AD&D!

Last edited:

Kalontas

First Post
I think they're trying to pull off "PF for 4E", i.e. the big competition pulling on the tradition of old edition. Not going to happen.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Yeah, I kinda do, don't I? I just got excited for a different reason about WotC openly soliciting questions from ENWorlders in another thread, but stating that the answers would only be availablle on the WotC site. That chaps me in the worst way.

Yeah, that's kinda goofy but it's not like they will be behind the DDI and the more interesting answers will probably get quoted over here as they each spawn their own EN World thread.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Some very nice artwork, indeed. So, more former WotCers seemingly slicing off a piece of that sweet, sweet market. Who could have seen it coming?

Leif

Adventurer
Yeah, that's kinda goofy but it's not like they will be behind the DDI and the more interesting answers will probably get quoted over here as they each spawn their own EN World thread.
Yeah, I guess you're right, Mark. As Walking Dad chided me before, I guess I was making, "much ado about nothing." :p

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Yeah, I guess you're right, Mark. As Walking Dad chided me before, I guess I was making, "much ado about nothing." :p

It's not like they want to hide their hype behind the DDI wall. :D

Still, there's a fundamental disconnect in one of WotC's statements, vis-à-vis -

We can't really tackle questions about the business side of things (ex: Are you going to do something like the OGL for Next?) the future of digital tools or organized play, or specifics about future product releases. So we're sticking to design and development questions.

The very idea that the OGL issue isn't a design and development question is very sad.

And as it brings us back around (back on-topic for this thread) to this fine, new release on the horizon -

The game will be published in August 2012 by Pelgrane Press under an Open Game License that will allow other designers to take advantage of its contents to create their own products.

This alone will get me taking a good look at this project. Thanks to Pelgrane and the designers for thinking Openly about the future of the tabletop roleplaying game hobby!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases