D&D 5E Jonathan Tweet & Rob Heinsoo: Making their own 5th Edition?

Argyle King

Legend
The art and the short blurbs which describe what the pictures are have me excited. I like the sounds of the implied setting. I like the look of the art too; something about the style of it speaks to me.

I like it.

GM Dave

First Post
13th Age Announced

Jonathan Tweet and Rob Heinsoo announce they are developing a game for release in 2012 called 13th Age.

They are doing playtesting now.

These two designed 3E and 4E.

How much of a curve ball does this toss in the Pathfinder and DnD Next projects?

Pathfinder started off with a similar beginning.

There are promises of OGL with the product.

Does the shinny new thing in the room pull attention away from the others or is Pelgrane Press still small enough that the others don't notice?

Pelgrane Press Ltd 13th age

Fenris

Adventurer
I've been participating in the playtest for this and so far I really like it. I think it does a good job of riding the terrain between "traditional gaming" and "indy gaming" in a fun, innovative way.

This is as good a reason as I need to at least check it out. It also guarantees that it is a Panda-free product.:p

I am optimistic about D&DNext, but will definitely give this a look, though like Rel, Savage Worlds has become so fun and easy it is hard to give up.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Hard to say. It sounds like it has a lot of 5E's goals, but with less support (although not none -- Pelgrane supports all their lines with quality products). If nothing else, the system for aligning with powerful NPCs sounds portable to other games.

Jhaelen

First Post
Hmm, so their goal is identical to 5e's? I'm not exactly sure what the point is. They're competing for players with exactly the same preferences as those excited about 5e.

And what about the players who'd rather see an evolution of 4e? Wouldn't that be a more attractive market for WotC's competitors?

Still I'm a fan of a lot of stuff that was designed by either of them, so it'll be interesting to see what they come up with.

Hal G

First Post
Hmm, so their goal is identical to 5e's? I'm not exactly sure what the point is.

If they come out this August, and WotC has D&DNext out for GenCon 2013??? That gives them a year to solidify a fan base BEFORE Next hits.

Similar product done well but out first, may win the fan base, or enough to keep making products and profits..

Either way good luck guys!

Last edited:

mkill

Adventurer
I'm in the playtest so I have to be careful not to spoil the surprises. Besides, the current playtest version and the final product may be quite different.

What I can say is that the PR blurb does describe the system quite well. If you look at everything Jonathan Tweet and Rob Heinsoo have published so far, not just at WotC, you get a good idea what has influenced this game. And when you play you do feel like they love D&D at heart.

It does use ideas from 4E, but the playstyle is more indie, free form. A bit like Feng Shui, which is a good thing.

More when the NDA is lifted. For now, just believe me that my group and me had great fun playtesting it and I heartily recommend having a look at it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases