Suggest Your "Rule of Three" Questions for Next Week (4/17)

the Jester

Legend
There have been a lot of indications that you're flattening the math in many ways. However, it sounds as though hit points and damage are going to continue to rise quickly with level. How accurate is this impression, and have you considered "flattening" the rate of hp/damage increase along with the rest?

KesselZero

First Post
You've given out a lot of mechanical tidbits about combat-- hints about how rogues, fighters, wizards, etc. will fight. What mechanical systems, if any, have you considered or tested for the exploration and interaction pillars of the game? For example, there's a current thread on ENWorld discussing bringing back something like 1e's "turns" to give a mechanical framework to exploration. Another example would be 4e's Skill Challenges. Will 5e have this sort of hard mechanical support for the non-combat parts of the game?

kevtar

First Post
A lot of the talk about the next edition of D&D focuses on DMs and players being able to play "the game they want to play." Does this mean that groups will determine how that particular group will play, or does it mean that, for example, one player in the group can use A/E/U/D powers for their arcane character and another player (in the same group) can use "Vancian" magic for their arcane character?

In short, is it a modular system that accommodates the play style determined by the group, or various play styles of individuals in a particular group?

Anguirus

First Post
Aside from Vancian magic, which we already have been told is returning, what past magic systems are serving to inspire PC and class design for this edition?

Odysseus

Explorer
With my current 4E group, we have a house rule , which the group loves, that forced movement causes AOO. However this type of house rule isn't easy to implement in 4E.

My question is. With a design goal of unification through diversity. How much of a challenge is it going to be to come up with a rule set that allows groups to implement diverse house rules, without breaking the rules?

Leif

Adventurer
A lot of the talk about the next edition of D&D focuses on DMs and players being able to play "the game they want to play." Does this mean that groups will determine how that particular group will play, or does it mean that, for example, one player in the group can use A/E/U/D powers for their arcane character and another player (in the same group) can use "Vancian" magic for their arcane character?
Related to that, here's a combat question:

If D&D Next allows any edition to be played at the same table, how is that going to be possible when 1E uses a definition of Armor Class that functions in a way totally different from 3.5, and 4?

Misunderstood, jbear?? Me??? Could be, could be....
Hmmm, ok, I think I'm beginning to figure it out now. Thanks, [MENTION=75065]jbear[/MENTION]!

Last edited:

Magesmiley

Explorer
Would it be possible to get some sort of a preview on where the mechanics for unarmed combat and grappling are going? The rules for these have kind of stuck out as being clunky throughout the game's history.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases