Suggest Your "Rule of Three" Questions for Next Week (4/17)

WotC_Trevor

First Post
A quick message from WotC, which is reaching out to the EN World community this week for its pool of "Rule of Three" questions. Rule of Three is a weekly article on D&D Insider where Rodney Thompson answers three questions - usually about D&D Next, occasionally about 4th Edition.
Hey all. Usually we grab questions for the Rule of Three articles from ongoing conversations in the various D&D and RPG communities, but I wanted to try something different. This week I wanted to reach out directly and see if you guys had any questions about design or development for 4E or D&D Next.

We can't really tackle questions about the business side of things (ex: Are you going to do something like the OGL for Next?) the future of digital tools or organized play, or specifics about future product releases. So we're sticking to design and development questions.

With that in mind, please reply with whatever design and development questions you may have for 4E or D&D Next. It's unlikely I'll be answering any of them here, but I will be adding those that fit into the above criteria into the pool of questions Rodney takes a stab at for the weekly article.

To make it easier for the WotC folks to sift through, please be aware that this is not a discussion thread. You are welcome to post questions in this thread, but we'll be deleting anything that's not a question. That way, WotC can simply look at an easy-to-read list.

Last edited by a moderator:

weem

First Post
Let's see if I can condense my question a bit...

Q: What will the difference be between "modularized" campaign specific rules/info, and a proper "Campaign Setting" (book)?

Thoughts behind the question...

Essentially, it sounds like there probably won't be new campaign setting books put out (Ravenloft, Dragonlance, etc) but rather that some of the rules etc behind a few of them will be available as separate "modules" (or, "options").

The first thing I think is, "Well, isn't that what a Campaign Setting book is? A seperate book of information specific to a world that is not necessarily part of the core rules?" - but since that seems a bit obvious, I get the feeling that it will likely appear as rule bits released digitally only. So anyway, I guess I'm wondering if that's the case.

Thanks Trevor ;)

KidSnide

Adventurer
In 3.x and 4e, PCs could end up with a large number of temporary buff spells and effects that could be difficult to track. What are the designers considering to prevent buffs from becoming a major tracking headache?

-KS

Sir Robilar

First Post
Sent this as an e-mail earlier, but I'll retype it here to maximize my chances of being picked. :)

As a player of 3rd edition, for me and my group one of the annoyances of mid and high levels are buff spells. Preparing for combat often takes almost as long as the combat itself ("which buff spells do we cast on whom? how long do they last? In which round of preparation do we cast what spell? What is my new attack bonus now?..."). So my question is: Have you had any thoughts on what the future of buff spells in dndnext might look like?

At PAX Mearls stated that the best way to have our voices heard in the development process would be participating in the playtest. Until now this has been a very limited experience and virtually inaccessible to everybody not in the USA. Is there a plan to include international players in this process?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases