[4e][OOC] Clash of Steel [13th level]

drothgery

First Post
Okay, my current inventory of proposed characters is

Shayuri - pixie wizard (mage)
Walking Dad - half-elf sorcerer (elementalist)
Phaezen - genasi swordmage
Knowledge Checks - dragonborn warlock (hexblade)
Inspiratorium - ranger (scout) or warlord

One thing that has me a little concerned - some of the adventures I'm looking at are from pretty early in 4e's lifecycle. I don't have a lot of experience running 4e, but my understanding is that combats with pre-MM3 opponents tended to drag a lot, especially after low heroic. I don't know if just putting characters with all the goodies of current 4e (including free math fix feats - one expertise feat, improved defenses, and for swordmages Intelligent Blademaster) is going to be enough to offset that.

Shayuri

First Post
A hexblade typically has a great MBA, if I recall right.

I can arrange to have a good-to-decent RBA...but mages aren't much awesome in close. Plus, you know....pixie.

I guess I could be a bard if it's so hard to get a leader. :)

But I admit, my first choice is wizard or mage for this particular character.

As for dragging...hard to say! I've played a fair amount of 4e since its inception, but I don't know what changed in it. From a player perspective, my games didn't really change much, but they didn't drag in the first place except for early on sometimes.

I suspect that with 2 strikers and a good mix of other roles, we should be able to get through encounters in a decent timeframe. None of us are heavy duty summoners, though I am considering the Fey Beast Tamer theme, with your approval, so that I have a cool little blink dog to ride around on...and get cover from. :) Beyond that, I don't see any builds that are especially heavy on abilities that require time and effort to use. Warlords...if my brain hasn't atrophied...are less dependent on interrupts and reactions than bards, for example...

Last edited:

Inspiratorium

First Post
I'll do a warlord, so don't worry about that.

As for dragging, I don't think it should be too much of a problem. If you think it might get to the point where it's problem, I could recommend that rather than using the standard XP system, you could use the GM judgment method (i.e. Level up whenever you think it's appropriate), which could decrease the amount of combat necessary per level.

I was planning on taking Create a Target, actually, which might lead to a huge stack-up of OAs if we have a lot of slide/pull/push powers. The rest of you might consider taking a few repositioning powers for the sake of increasing the effectiveness of that.

Last edited:

My Hexblade and the elementalist will go great with a basic attack granting warlord. My striker damage bonus is a static mod, so I get it on all Warlock attacks and Unraveling Strike is his at-will usable as MBA that puts vulnerable 3 fire on a hit. So if people want to pick up a few fire powers that would help our party synergy. Maybe Arcane Admixture for the Elementalist on one of your at-wills?

I'll stick with the MC Warlord as its a good feat and let's me take another one. Forget the name at the moment, but when I use my dragon breath allies get +5 damage on the Target until EONT. Honorable Blade gets me multiple dragons breath per fight, so that will be a nice boost.

Walking Dad

First Post
My Hexblade and the elementalist will go great with a basic attack granting warlord. My striker damage bonus is a static mod, so I get it on all Warlock attacks and Unraveling Strike is his at-will usable as MBA that puts vulnerable 3 fire on a hit. So if people want to pick up a few fire powers that would help our party synergy. Maybe Arcane Admixture for the Elementalist on one of your at-wills?

Striker bonus is static, too. For fire powers, if we start at paragon, I will take the fire ranged burst as my 3rd at-will.

I was planning on taking Create a Target, actually, which might lead to a huge stack-up of OAs if we have a lot of slide/pull/push powers.
I can slide with nearly all my powers, thanks to their lighting/thunder damage type and the Mark of Storm feat.

(including free math fix feats - one expertise feat, improved defenses, and for swordmages Intelligent Blademaster) is going to be enough to offset that.
You could also add a free "focus" feat for increased damage output.

Shayuri

First Post
As far as forced movement goes, wizard Enchantment spells ALL have some of that. And since I use an orb, they go a little farther than usual.

So yeah. Definitely stock up on synergies for forced movement. I plan on setting up horrible, horrible zones, and then forcing badguys to keep going back in every time they leave.

Inspiratorium

First Post
As far as forced movement goes, wizard Enchantment spells ALL have some of that. And since I use an orb, they go a little farther than usual.

Can any of them be used as a basic attack of some kind? If you can get one of those, I could potentially set up a four-attack chain with my level 1 daily Create A Target (Staggering Shot -> Walking Dad's RBA -> Your RBA -> another attack).

Also, any thoughts on character creation rules yet drothgery?

drothgery

First Post
Also, any thoughts on character creation rules yet drothgery?
13th level
class and race restrictions as per initial post

no setting-specific feats, themes, backgrounds, or paragon paths except for Eberron Dragonmark/Dragonmarked House specific feats, paragon paths, and backgrounds (so FR and Scales of War backgrounds, and Dark Sun themes are out)

all characters get one Expertise Feat and Improved Defenses for free

swordmages also get Intelligent Blademaster for free (if I were allowing any other melee classes that didn't have a good melee basic attack, I'd do something for them too)

Last edited:

Walking Dad

First Post
What about the dragonmark paragon paths? I wanted to take Lyrandar Wind Ride, which would be very thematic and the only connection to the Eberron setting is the allowed Dargonmark (and the name).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases