1st Edition AD&D Reprints to be available outside North America

RichGreen

Adventurer
Hi,

I'm glad I'm going to be able to buy these in the UK but disapppointed they are being made available via Amazon. Surely they could have supplied to Esdevium et al and made these game & hobby store exclusives worldwide?

Richard

Arnix

First Post
My problem is not that they made them available to people overseas, just that they told the game shops that they were "exclusive" then went back on that. I might have even been OK with it if they had said "we will make them available online 3-6 months after game shops".

I think that the consumers will be hurt by this in the long run due to WoTC destroying trust with the game shops, which have traditionally been the heart and soul of this industry. The game shops went out on a limb, ordering decades out of print materials, gambling on a very niche product to support their customers, only to have WoTC change their distribution after orders were places. It won't take many of the instances to happen before the shops stop trusting WoTC and quit ordering these specials.

w_earle_wheeler

First Post
As as been stated, it is GOOD that WotC is seeing higher demand for the product, however, they would have been better served by waiting for a "second printing" of these reprints before doing it in order to placate the collectors and Direct Retail market.

GreyLord

Legend
WotC was put with a HARD choice. They're initial plan was met with happiness from many, but also a LOT of outcry, anger, and unhappiness.

The problem has already been outlined. The distribution method made it so that those who did NOT have access to the gaming stores but wanted a copy were out of luck. Even worse, many would probably obtain a copy but at HUGE mark-ups from those who were lucky enough to be near a store.

With the demand from others outside the hobby store network being so high, and people being so unhappy who were not in the network, what would you have done?

The ideal would be for the original plan to work, but everyone to be able to pre-order their copies through those stores. Unfortunately, that didn't seem to be working overall.

Hence, I think it was a VERY difficult choice on what to do.

However, just because it's listed on Amazon does NOT mean it's going to be available on Amazon the day that it is available in the hobby stores. I think the date is still pending if it even comes to Amazon in the US.

But overall, making it available to those outside the US by other channels wasn't an easy choice, but I think overall the right one. It makes a LOT of gamers happy and makes them know that they are not forgotten or taken for granted.

Warunsun

First Post
Hi,

I'm glad I'm going to be able to buy these in the UK but disapppointed they are being made available via Amazon. Surely they could have supplied to Esdevium et al and made these game & hobby store exclusives worldwide?

Richard
Actually, Esdevium Games Ltd is involved somehow according to Amazon.com. They are listed as the publisher of these books! It seems strange but whatever.

Also this morning for Amazon USA the books became officially listed with prices instead of the "available soon" placeholder they were using.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0786962437/"]D&D 1st Edition Premium Players Handbook[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0786962410/"]D&D 1st Edition Premium Dungeon Masters Guide[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0786962429/"]D&D 1st Edition Premium Monster Manual[/ame]

Remove ads