Assassination! DM: FourMonos Judge: Renau1g

Velmont

First Post
[SBLOCK=OOC about Dire Boar]I'm looking at the compendium:

Compendium said:
Rabid Charger (mount) At-Will

Trigger: The dire boar has a friendly rider of 6th level or higher mounted on it, and the rider hits with a charge attack.

Effect (Free Action): The dire boar uses gore.

So the text in your stat block is not the same than the compendium. But on the bright side, you seem to have another mistake:

Compendium said:
Gore At-Will

Attack: Melee 1 (one creature); +11 vs. AC

Hit: 2d10 + 4 damage, or 2d10 + 9 against a prone target.

So your boar can attack only if you hit, but it will deal more damage.[/SBLOCK]

KarinsDad

Adventurer
[sblock=OOC]
The original Dire Boar from Massacre at Fort Dolor in 2008 stated:

Rabid Charger (while mounted by a friendly rider of 6th level
or higher; at-will) ✦ Mount
When it charges, the dire boar makes a gore attack in
addition to its rider’s charge attack; see also furious charge.

The Compendium states:

Rabid Charger (mount) At-Will

Trigger: The dire boar has a friendly rider of 6th level or higher mounted on it, and the rider hits with a charge attack.

Effect (Free Action): The dire boar uses gore.

The rules source for LEB is the Compendium, not the original adventure. The creature has been changed since its original conception.

Vertexx69 should fix his character sheet to reflect this.

Also, the first level power is called Passing Attack, not Passing Strike. That too should be fixed on the character sheet.
[/sblock]

Vertexx69

First Post
OOC: I don't have access to the compendium (and never will), but I checked the errata and there was nothing written there, which is why I'm using old info. But Hydra Charge is a close1 attack - so if it hits any target (and I did hit #8 ) the mount should still get his attack anyways.

So Olaf has +2 to hit and deals an extra 1d10 dmg but always attacks after Rohna charges, does this sound about right? Does the dire boar still have the rabid charger passive in the compendium? where he deals +5 dmg on a charge? All I have to go on are the actual books and the errata (which are both apparently useless now).

Can somebody please PM me the compendium versions of the griffon and the Captain of Fortune warlord path so I can see if they are even close to where I was planning to take Rohna?

Last edited:

KarinsDad

Adventurer
OOC: I don't have access to the compendium (and never will), but I checked the errata and there was nothing written there, which is why I'm using old info. But Hydra Charge is a close1 attack - so if it hits any target (and I did hit [URL=http://www.enworld.org/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=8]#8 [/URL] ) the mount should still get his attack anyways.

So Olaf has +2 to hit and deals an extra 1d10 dmg but always attacks after Rohna charges, does this sound about right? Does the dire boar still have the rabid charger passive in the compendium? where he deals +5 dmg on a charge? All I have to go on are the actual books and the errata (which are both apparently useless now).

[sblock=OOC]
Olaf's Rabid Charger attack occurs immediately after the Hybrid Charge resolves completely ("RC p.197: "If an effect has a Trigger and is neither an Immediate Action nor an Opportunity Action, assume that it behaves like an immediate Reaction, waiting for its Trigger to resolve. However, ignore this guideline when the effect has to interrupt its Trigger to function.").

The Gore does happen before the Passing Strike though. It's the equivalent of an IR trigger with the free action trigger occurring during Hydra Charge, so it occurs immediately. Then, Rohna can spend a free action to use an Action Point.

Olaf is doing a triggered melee basic attack, not a charge attack. Rohna is doing a charge, Olaf isn't. So, no Furious Charge: no extra +5 damage, no knockback, and no knocking prone, and no +2 to hit a prone target. 2d10+4 damage against an non-prone target, not 1d10+9 damage. Olaf can, however, attack whatever legal target Rohna wants to with this melee basic attack as long as Rohna hits somebody with her charge.

Technically, Hydra Charge isn't quite 100% legal here against foe #8 . For powers (like close bursts) that target multiple opponents, each foe must be an elligible target. Foe #8 is not elligible because Rohna did not charge closer to #8 for every square of movement. Only #5 and #7 were legal foes. I think that 4M was ruling that Rohna was actually targeting #5 with a charge, charging up to #5, and then getting the burst. If interpreted this way (the initial charge requires an initial target to handle the charge movement rules), then it works. But, there are no actual rules that suspend the charge movement rules here and allow #8 to be targeted.

Granted, Hydra Charge should be better written to explain that it the PC has to be able to charge to the origin square and that every square charged must get the PC closer to that origin square, but the designer never thought about this issue. This happens when the designers create powers that combine different portions of the rules. I think designer intent here is that the close burst targets all enemies around the PC and hence, I am in agreement with 4M on this. Pick a foe to charge, handle the charge movement rules using that foe, then use Hybrid Charge once the PC gets there.

PS. R1 is out of pocket, so I'm putting my judge hat on here and stepping in. SG and THB, please feel free to comment.
[/sblock]

FourMonos

First Post
Ambassador Attack, Round 2

The deva avenger runs into the chamber with his comrades.

The goliath's risky charge shakes the assassins confidence. Clearly they thought they would outmatch any guards easily. A dire boar bearing down tends to give one pause.

The leader doesn't hesitate, "No! Finish the job. Go! Go!"

The closest assassins rush at the ambassadors. One shoots his bolt at the Karrnath Ambassador.

Then the assassins surround the brave goliath. One is struck hard by Rohna as it tried to surround her, but the leader and her companion circle the goliath and land savage blows. The goliath is slowed from the massive blood loss from the multiple enemies. The assassin charged from across the room takes an unsteady step backward and downs Rohna with a well placed crossbow bolt.

The bloodshed started, the assassins turn to face the rest of their enemies.

[sblock= Round Summary]
Chael moves into room, hits #7 with Magic Stone, pushes to H6.

Czern moves into room.

Venakhad moves into room, calls to ambassadors.

Rohna charges, causes lots of havoc. Hits 8 w/ charge, hits 5,7 with passing strike. 5,7,8 take damage from Rain of Steel.

Malehan moves into room, OoE on #9 .

Alexia moves into room.

kal'tarron double run into room.

[/sblock]

[sblock=Map Details]
Illumination: Normal.

Brown squares are tables: difficult terrain.

Map: here.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Stats Update]
Czern Belog (F-19): 78/85; HS 13/15; AP 1; Second Wind; Status:

Chael: (P-16): 66/66; HS 12/12; AP 1; Second Wind; Status:

Dusk: (N-20): 33/33 AC 21 F 23 R 19 W 15 Bonus:

Malehan (J-16): 66/68; HS 9/9; AP 1; Second Wind; Status:

Alexia Madgearu (J-20): 65/65; HS 10/11; AP 1; Second Wind; Status:

kal-Tarron (M-18): 56/56; HS 6/8; AP 1; Second Wind; Status:

Venakhad (P-23): 59/59; HS 8/8; AP 1; Second Wind; Status:

Rohna (H-I, 7-8): -8/76; HS 13/13; AP 1; Second Wind; Status; unconscious, dying

[/sblock]

[sblock=Enemy Actions]
Assassin 8: Take 12 damage. Moves to H-9, triggers OA from Rohna: Hit for 18 damage (roll). He doesn't move after all. Free action: Short sword riposte (when an enemy makes an OA against it): miss. Standard: Short sword vs. Rohna: miss.

Assassin 2: Move to L-5. Standard: Charge Breland Ambassador (BA): Hit for 8 damage.

Assassin 9: Move to E-13. Standard: short sword vs. Aundair Ambassador(AA): Crit for 16 damage, bloodying the AA.

Assassin 4: Crossbow vs. Karrnath Ambassador (KA): Hit for 15 damage, bloodying him. Minor: Reload.

Leader: Move around Rohna to J-6 (F-5, G-5, H-5, I-5, J-6). Readied action: when 6 moves into flanking position: Double attack.

Assassin 6: Moves to G-9. Standard: Assassin's Longblade: 1d20+13+2, 1d6+2d6+6 → ([13, 13, 2], [1, 1, 5, 6]). Hit for (13-1) 12 damage.

Changling's attack: Double Attack vs. Rohna x2 (w CA):1d20+15+2 → [19,15,2] = (36), 1d20+15+2 → [14,15,2] = (31) Roll. With extra damage from Combat Advantage:2d6+3d6+12 → [4,2,6,3,4,12] = (31), 2d6+3d6+12 → [5,1,1,4,3,12] = (26) Roll. One less damage per each attack, 55 total damage.

Assassin 5: Take 12 damage. Shift to F-5. Standard: Crossbow vs. Rohna: 1d20+13, 2d8+7 → ([11, 13], [4, 7, 7]) Roll. Hit AC 24 for (18-1) 17 damage. Rohna is unconscious, dying and -8 HP. Minor: Reload.

Assassin 3: Move to B-9. Readied action.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Assassin's Stats]
Leader: ?? AC ?? F ?? R ?? W
Changling: (J-6) Damage taken:

Assassins: ?? AC ?? F ?? R ?? W
2. (P-5) Damage taken:
3. (B-9) Damage taken:

Assassins: 22 AC ?? F ?? R ?? W
4. (C-7) Damage taken:
5. (F-5) Damage taken: 24 damage taken

Assassins: 22 AC ?? F 21 R ?? W
6. (G-9) Damage taken:
7. (H-6) Damage taken: 38 damage taken, marked by Rohna, bloodied

Assassins: 21 AC ?? F ?? R ?? W
8. (G-8) Damage taken: 49 damage taken, marked by Rohna, bloodied
9. (E-13) Damage taken: oath of enimity (M)

[/sblock]

[sblock=Ambassadors]
Aundair Ambassador: 16 AC 16 F 18 R 18 W
Hit Points: 14/30, bloodied

Breland Ambassador: 16 AC 16 F 18 R 18 W
Hit Points: 22/30

Karrnath Ambassador: 16 AC 16 F 18 R 18 W
Hit Points: 15/30, bloodied

Thrane Ambassador: 16 AC 16 F 18 R 18 W
Hit Points: 30/30
[/sblock]

GM: Heroes are up. @Vertexx69 Your death save happens at the beginning of the round.

Questions: Since Rohna is knocked out, does she fall off her steed? What happens to Rain of Steel when/if she is healed?

Last edited:

FourMonos

First Post
Frightened, and now hurt, the ambassadors do follow the priests commands and start to flee.

GM: Sorry, forgot to move them. BA and AA shifted back, then moved 6 to current locations. The other two double moved.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
GM: Heroes are up. @Vertexx69 Your death save happens at the beginning of the round.

Questions: Since Rohna is knocked out, does she fall off her steed? What happens to Rain of Steel when/if she is healed?

OOC: Yes, Rohna falls off her steed. An unconscious PC falls prone. Note: this is not the same as being knocked prone, so no saving throw.

As for the steed:

"While not being ridden, a typical mount (such as a riding horse) rarely attacks on its own, unless it has been trained for battle, is defending itself, or feels unusually protective of its rider. Left to its own devices, a typical mount avoids combat."

Rohna's stance does not end, but it also does not damage foes since it can only do that if Rohna can make OAs and an unconscious character cannot do that. But, that stance is still active and comes back if Rohna is healed.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases