D&D 4th Edition Assassination! DM: FourMonos Judge: Renau1g - Page 15




What's on your mind?

  1. #141
    Registered User
    Defender (Lvl 8)

    FourMonos's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    IN
    Posts
    2,278

    Ignore FourMonos
    Chael keeps track of the blue cloaked, chainmail wearing assassin walking away from her, weaving through the crowd. As she follows, Chael appreciates her pace is faster than the villain's this time. Although her comrades are slowly descending on the lift, she is moments from closing in on the assassin.

    Just as her prey seems within reach, the crowd thins and Chael finds herself in front of the small guardhouse outside a large marble building that predominates this level.

    Multiple human guards mill about the large iron gate, all wearing the same blue cloak and chainmail armor. While the guardsman appear relaxed, there is no mistaking their alert eyes. Several of them have appreciated the direct path of the shifter straight for the guardhouse gate.

    One of the guards, a blond middle aged veteran, addresses her, "Morning, ma'am. How can I be of service?"

    You take notice of his House Deneith dragonmark clear upon his left neck.

 

  • #142
    Registered User
    Magsman (Lvl 14)



    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    12,081

    Ignore KarinsDad
    OOC: Just to be clear, is the guard addressing the shapeshifter, or Chael? If Chael, does Chael have the shapeshifter in sight?
    The first sign of a broken rule is when someone suggests that the way to stop it is by readying an action.

  • #143
    Registered User
    Defender (Lvl 8)

    FourMonos's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    IN
    Posts
    2,278

    Ignore FourMonos
    GM: Whoops, I see the confusion, as Chael is a shifter, chasing a shapeshifter! He was addressing Chael. She does not see the shapeshifter, who appears to have blended in with the guards... or not, as it is a shapeshifter.

  • #144
    Registered User
    Magsman (Lvl 14)



    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    12,081

    Ignore KarinsDad
    Quote Originally Posted by FourMonos View Post
    GM: Whoops, I see the confusion, as Chael is a shifter, chasing a shapeshifter! He was addressing Chael. She does not see the shapeshifter, who appears to have blended in with the guards... or not, as it is a shapeshifter.
    OOC: So, even though Chael was purposely trying to keep track of the shapeshifter and that was her sole focus, she automatically loses the shapeshifter without even a Perception roll? No chance to get close enough to use a power (even though she used a Daily power to try to catch up to the shapeshifter)? Once on the ground, Chael would have been running which would have forced the shapeshifter to run (and hence be noticed by the guards) or get caught.
    The first sign of a broken rule is when someone suggests that the way to stop it is by readying an action.

  • #145
    Registered User
    Defender (Lvl 8)

    FourMonos's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    IN
    Posts
    2,278

    Ignore FourMonos
    GM: You're making assumptions about how close you were to the assassin when you hit the ground, how far he had to travel in relation to you and the speed necessary to do so. You did close in on him because he wasn't rushing, i.e. not bringing attention to himself. But you didn't catch him.

    Further, this wasn't an empty street in which you were following him. Nor is this an inexperienced person you were following. The perception check was in relation to being at the top of the lift, not following him in the crowd.

    So for the meta gaming explanation, each aspect of the encounters (the chase skill challenge, the fight, even dropping down to chase after him- good idea btw) affect the next encounter.

    So, the situation stands. Chael has reached the guardhouses flanking the gates, the others scant moments behind her (it probably should be more, but I don't want to turn this to be a one person adventure). Your turn.

  • #146
    Registered User
    Magsman (Lvl 14)



    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    12,081

    Ignore KarinsDad
    Showing the guard her Mark of Warding, Chael replies "You can start by stopping any guards who just walked out of the crowd, and by sealing the gates and preventing anyone including guards from entering. A shapeshifter just killed a guard over next to the Tower's Shard. I followed the shapeshifter here, but just lost sight of him a few moments ago. He appeared to be a guard when I last spotted him. He's a murderer and I suspect that he wants to take the place of the guard he murdered to do further harm inside. He also probably has magical clothing on which allows him to change the appearance of his clothes, so you might be able to find him with a mage. Sorry for the rush, but you either act immediately, or you lose the opportunity to catch him. And no, you and I do not have time for me to convince you that I am telling the truth. Either you act appropriately right now, or you do not. If that includes arresting me until you get to the truth, I am ok with that. But, you must act or he will get away."
    The first sign of a broken rule is when someone suggests that the way to stop it is by readying an action.

  • #147
    Registered User
    Defender (Lvl 8)

    FourMonos's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    IN
    Posts
    2,278

    Ignore FourMonos
    GM: Sorry for the slow posting rate everyone, my boys' Little League games are taking up a lot of time... well, they have been for about four weeks now, but the season is ending in a week or so, so things I'll have more time to pick up the pace then.


    The veteran's eyes widen slightly before squinting hard at the stranger bearing him news. The guard makes a quick hand signal and the troop of men around him snaps to attention.

    He speaks low, so that Chael can hear him, but not likely anyone else, given the crowd and bustle in the street, "That I don't throw you in the stockade immediately should confirm that I take your warning very seriously."

    He turns to his men and barks some orders, "Ricks, take squad two and secure hallway A. Pierenske, squad four and secure hallway C and the side entrance. Malphen, take three and go in the main entrance, check on the..." he glances at Chael, "guests. Tight sweep through and through boys, we may have been infiltrated."

    Soldiers materialize from the guardhouses flanking the iron gate and the guardsmen hurry to their appointed duties.

    The veteran turns back to Chael, "Now young lady, we will secure the premises. This is going to get people excited, so if I just earned my butt a chewing out about something that isn't.... well, I'm not going to be happy about that. What is this all about? Can someone collaborate what you reported to me?"

    Then he pauses, his eyes squinting hard over Chael's shoulder, "Is that a bear on the lift coming down here?"

  • #148
    Registered User
    Magsman (Lvl 14)



    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    12,081

    Ignore KarinsDad
    "You should be more concerned with the giant pig coming down the lift than the bear. That pig can be darn ornery. And if a butt chewing is the worst thing that happens today, then we can all consider it a good day. You should have at least some collaboration in a moment. Oh, and you sending some boys to check in on the guests is probably the thing that the shapeshifting assassin wants you to do the most." Chael replies in a dry tone, never turning to see what is going on behind her.
    Last edited by KarinsDad; Monday, 11th June, 2012 at 06:27 AM.
    The first sign of a broken rule is when someone suggests that the way to stop it is by readying an action.

  • #149
    Registered User
    Defender (Lvl 8)

    FourMonos's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    IN
    Posts
    2,278

    Ignore FourMonos
    "Boar, eh? This I have to see. What you don't know, my little lady, is I have a whole squad inside already. This place is secure."

    You can tell from his eyes that he is more worried than he lets on. He waits for the rest of the group and any further explanation.

    GM: Everyone is up and ready to talk to the guard captain.

  • #150
    Registered User
    Enchanter (Lvl 12)

    Velmont's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    Posts
    14,813

    Ignore Velmont
    My communities:

    Malehan arrive next to Chael. "Where is the shapechanger? He has taken the form of his last victim. He should look like a city guard at the moment."

    Malehan looks around, trying to spot his target into the crowd.

    Characters
    Jarel-karn - Genasi Swordmage 12 [L4W]
    Gloom - Longtooth Shifter Paladin 11 [L4W]
    Eloan - Eladrin Warlord 7 [L4W]
    River - Longtooth Shifter Cleric 11 [LEB]
    Malehan - Elf Avenger 8 [LEB]
    Valeria - Human Witch 1

    "Experience is that great thing that allow you to see a mistake when you do it again."

  • + Log in or register to post
    Page 15 of 55 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Replies: 353
      Last Post: Saturday, 30th March, 2013, 04:38 PM
    2. Adventure: The Undead Hunter DM: FourMonos Judge: ??
      By FourMonos in forum Living 4th Edition
      Replies: 350
      Last Post: Monday, 26th March, 2012, 05:13 PM
    3. Adv: Rhapsody; Judge: renau1g
      By ScorpiusRisk in forum Living Eberron
      Replies: 1103
      Last Post: Wednesday, 7th September, 2011, 02:36 PM
    4. Adv: The God Forge (judge renau1g)
      By ScorpiusRisk in forum Living 4th Edition
      Replies: 453
      Last Post: Friday, 11th June, 2010, 02:42 PM
    5. [Adventure] The Second Day of Mourning (Judge: renau1g)
      By Kalidrev in forum Living Eberron
      Replies: 1003
      Last Post: Thursday, 4th March, 2010, 05:54 PM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •