GLEE #60: Saturday Night Glee-ver

GrayLinnorm

Explorer
OK, what happened to not doing tribute episodes this season? This is the first of two tribute episodes in a row (it looks like next week all the songs are by Whitney Houston) -- seriously? No prizes for guessing the theme, although t's already been established on the show that Mr. Shu likes disco more than the kids.

Sadly, Robin Gibb of the Bee Gees, is in a coma. Here's hoping he makes a full recovery.

The playlist:

Mr. Shu, Blaine, and Samuel sing "Night Fever", originally performed by the Bee Gees

Mercedes, Santana, and Brittany sing "Disco Inferno", originally performed by the Trammps

Finn, Mercedes, and Santana sing "Stayin' Alive", originally performed by the Bee Gees

Vocal Adrenaline sings "Boogie Shoes", originally performed by KC and the Sunshine Band

Santana sings "If I Can't Have You", originally performed by Yvonne Elliman

Blaine sings "You Should Be Dancing", originally performed by the Bee Gees

Finn sings "More Than a Woman", originally performed in Saturday Night Fever

Rachel sings "How Deep Is Your Love", originally performed by the Bee Gees

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Not do tribute episodes this season? When did they claim that?

I think of this less as a tribute episode so much as a musical style episode. It just so happens that many of the memorable (and still tolerable) songs of the era were by the Bee Gees.

Mercutio01

First Post
Not a horrible set-list. I'll be honest in that my enthusiasm for the show seems to be waning, and I'm not entirely sure why. I think part of it was the 2 month hiatus right in the middle of the season, and the rest has a lot to do, I think, with my general dislike for most pop music. I enjoy the shows where they have songs from musical theatre and classic rock the most, and the ones with covers of songs that are currently on the radio the least.

I don't know. I think tonight's episode might talk to me a little better than last week's, but I'm not totally sold on that.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I agree that I find the classic / 80s / musical theater focus better than pop-music focus. I think the writing has fumbled a bit, failing to hold the group dynamics they had in, say, the first season. It's still a decent show, but has lost a few good bits on the way.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Okay, after watching the episode, I've come to a few conclusions.

* Much like Dawson's Creek cast was, the cast is going to be separated to different colleges/schools and we may still be able to follow their college lives. How this plays out in the actual 'Glee' performances is still a mystery.

* While the show isn't Degrassi High, I have a hard time caring about what these kids are going to do after high school, mostly because they all seem to be doing 'well'... almost too well, considering they're all supposed to be the 'underdogs'.

* I'm already sick of Blake.

* And I'm thinking maybe the writer made a mistake in awarding 3-ep bit parts to the runners up of The Glee Project, because it seems like the actual winners got the shaft during much of their on-screen time.

I dunno. Thoughts?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
* Much like Dawson's Creek cast was, the cast is going to be separated to different colleges/schools and we may still be able to follow their college lives. How this plays out in the actual 'Glee' performances is still a mystery.

* While the show isn't Degrassi High, I have a hard time caring about what these kids are going to do after high school, mostly because they all seem to be doing 'well'... almost too well, considering they're all supposed to be the 'underdogs'.

I recall the producers saying that the Seniors are *leaving* at the end of this season. The show will not be following them in their future lives. Some of the characters are still Juniors, and will be around one more year.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
I agree that the show's been on a slow downfall. But I think this episode was a high-light of the season so far. I barely even cringed at the Rachel and Finn bits. I think the best song, for me, was Boogie Shoes. That kid has some serious stage presence!

Did I miss something, though? Where was my one, true love, Diana Agron?

I'm finding the hardest thing to swallow is the revolving door cast writing. We have characters who are introduced, given a big "shot to the top" via scripting and then vanishing into nothingness only to be brought back in two weeks as a main plot device...only to be forgotten again later.

I hate to be this way, but if you are going to write a character into the show, if you don't want them around, write them out. Don't make us wonder "Whatever happened to Chuck Cunningham (Happy Days - he went to his room and never came back down.), Ugly John and "Spear chucker" Jones (M*A*S*H* - One episode they are in the operating room trading barbs with Hawkeye and Trapper and the next they aren't even in camp), or many other characters from numerous shows who were just forgotten about when the producers/writers/directors just stopped putting them into scripts.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases