D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 Character build advice

Bub_the_zombie

First Post
I am constructing a lv 9 back up character that will most likely see game this week. There is really no restrictions on class or race as long as it is from a d&d book, no online homemade classes, or 3rd party content.

I am trying to make a Disciple of Dispater from BoVD. Race either human or dwarf. The campaign world is both dragon and undead heavy. The primary weapon I want to use is a pick axe (two handed 1d8 x4). I know there are better crit weapons for the build but I just really like the flavor and brutality of the pick axe. I wish to be a full plate tank, the party is all casters.

What I need some advice on is the build to get to DD. I was thinking ranger at first level for a boat load of skill points + favored enemy dragons. Then 4 levels of fighter to get weapon specialization (+4 damage = +16 on a crit). Then I need one more BAB to get the +6 needed for the class. I am reluctant to take fighter 5 because it is a dead level, and ranger 2 gives me two weapon fighting I don't plan on using. I do not mind taking a level or two of something else before the prestige class, I just want to start game with at least one level of it; I don't want to waste party time trying to sacrifice people.
I am not trying to min max the hell out of this build post prestige, but I want a solid foundation Pre prestige.

Rolled stats
15, 13, 13, 11, 17, 15

Feats needed for the DD
Power attack, combat expertise, disciple of darkness

36,000 gold to start
Thanks in advance for any advice

Bub_the_zombie

First Post
The Barbarian with the Spirit Lion Totem requires lv3 barbarian. I was hoping more for a one level fill. Still great suggestion I will fool around with it as a mock build to see it on paper. Can the pounce ability be used in heavy armor? The site I found it on made no referance to any armor restrictions; just asking because some abilities from barbarian do not work in heavy armor.

Omegaxicor

First Post
Don't know what you are reading but I have a copy of Complete Champion and it says:

Level: 1st.
Replaces: This benefit replaces the fast movement class
feature.
Benefit: You gain one of the abilities described below,
depending on the chosen totem. Each of these effects is a
supernatural ability.
<snip>
Lion Totem: Regal and intimidating, the powerful lion is a
symbol of nobility among the races of the wild. By selecting
him as your spiritual totem, you gain the pounce ability
(MM 313).
<snip>

I know there is a crap version in Unearthed Arcana that gives Run and some skills but that is still a level 1 change

[MENTION=6690432]Dordledum[/MENTION] Fast Movement is given up for Pounce but Rage is good for BBEG fights

xigbar

Explorer
The Barbarian with the Spirit Lion Totem requires lv3 barbarian. I was hoping more for a one level fill. Still great suggestion I will fool around with it as a mock build to see it on paper. Can the pounce ability be used in heavy armor? The site I found it on made no referance to any armor restrictions; just asking because some abilities from barbarian do not work in heavy armor.

Nope. Omegaxicor's post details it. Also, the Minotaur Greathammer is a good two-handed weapon, 1d12, 19-20. x4, but you would need Exotic Weapon Proficiency. Also, take the Aptitude Weapon enhancement, and the Lightning Maces feat.

Omegaxicor

First Post
There is some debate as to whether that technique works, the enhancement is meant to allow you to use Weapon Focus and Improved Critical type feats with other types of weapon, similar to the Warblades class feature, not just use any feat that specifies a weapon...

Bub_the_zombie

First Post
What sourcebook is the Minotaur great hammer in?

I usually stay away from monsterous races but a full-plate Minotaur diciple of Dispater could be awesome.

Question on Minotaur as a race: level +2 adj and 6 racial hit dice. If I play it as a pc does it come in at level 8? If so do I get feats in addition to the ones granted from the monsterous humanoid levels? Lastly do I get the ability increases from level 4 & 8?

Omegaxicor

First Post
I don't know how level adjustment works but I think the +2 is all you have, or else it is very weak level 8 monster that is comparable to a level 3 player...

You gain feats from Monstrous Humanoid levels that are mentioned in the monsters description because they replace the feats you would have gained as a player.

I don't think you get the attribute bonuses because they are included in your racial traits, unless you add class levels to your monster (starting at level 12 for example) then you get the later bonuses

LiL KiNG

First Post
Don't go full minotaur if Dragon Magazine is allowed for source material! There is a Half-Minotaur template that is only like +1LA! It's disgusting!
Natural armor, scent, gore attack, stat boost, skills, track feat, darkvision... nearly better than Feral...

Dragon Mag #313, p 94.

Remove ads