Purchasing Items, Base Value, etc.

GlassEye

Adventurer
This thread is for discussing how we plan to handle the purchase of items now that several characters have reached the level where items they want are over the base value we've set on Venza.

Edit: Previous discussion on this topic began HERE.

Last edited:

GlassEye

Adventurer
Proposal:
Upgrade Venza to a Metropolis with a base value of 16,000 gp.​

This will temporarily help out those with characters that want items over 8,000 gp and give us time to discuss the topic of base values and item purchases further.

perrinmiller

Adventurer
I think we should discuss the longer term view. Cythera and Frost have just reached 7th level and are already knocking on the door to 8th.

In a year's time we will be discussing them again when they are at 15th-16th level since we have nothing else to spend our DMC on. :p

What are we going to do about high level characters in the long run? Is 16,000gp enough?

On a tangent, it will not be that far off that we need to discuss what to do about characters reaching 20th level.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
I don't see anything inherently unbalancing with upgrading to Metropolis size - there's a built in limitation due to the wealth by level mechanic. However, I'm often guilty of missing implications of such things.

GlassEye

Adventurer
I think we should discuss the longer term view...

...What are we going to do about high level characters in the long run? Is 16,000gp enough?

On a tangent, it will not be that far off that we need to discuss what to do about characters reaching 20th level.

I agree that we need to discuss the long view. The proposal of increasing Venza's city size is just a stop-gap measure; it won't last us very long at all.

No, 16,000 isn't enough. But it is the largest base value in the rules and I don't think we should change that. Our solution will hopefully come from somewhere else. Several options were presented in that previous discussion and then, of course, we could just rely on found items and commissioning and adding abilities which will take time but significantly less than if the item were commissioned from scratch.

But, to start with, I'm going to ask for a vote...
Venza as Metropolis: YES.

Satin Knights

First Post
I don't like the hard cut off line of 75%. I would prefer a more graduated scale.

70% chance at ..9,000, 35% chance at 16,000
65% chance at 10,000, 30% chance at 17,000
60% chance at 11,000, 25% chance at 18,000
55% chance at 12,000, 20% chance at 19,000
50% chance at 13,000, 15% chance at 20,000
45% chance at 14,000, 10% chance at 21,000
40% chance at 15,000, ..5% chance at 22,000

This allows a few higher item possibilities, but doesn't get the market flooded with all the stuff just below the cut off line. A +4 belt should be more rare than a +1 sword. Extended the other way, there would be a 95% chance of finding something under 4,000 gp. That fits with the metropolis definition of nearly all minor magic is available.

sunshadow21

Explorer
I would say bump it up to metropolis, and get the 16,000 limit. This will also make it easier for large cities to be created without overshadowing Venza. Anything above that, start reducing the percentage a certain amount/1000 over, until you get down to 5 percent. That way, you still have a chance of finding the things higher level character needs, but you're getting into the ultra rare "backroom" stuff that only the most exalted of customers get access to.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
I vote YES for the immediate bump to Metropolis size.

For further discussion, I agree with ss21 - I'd say reduce the chance of finding an item by 5%/1000 GP for anything over the Metropolis limit of 16000. I'd also say allow commissioning of items of any worth.

perrinmiller

Adventurer
I vote YES for the immediate bump to Metropolis size.

For further discussion, I agree with ss21 - I'd say reduce the chance of finding an item by 5%/1000 GP for anything over the Metropolis limit of 16000. I'd also say allow commissioning of items of any worth.
This sort of combines SK's idea, just starting the tapering off from 17000 instead 9000. I think this handles the high level characters well enough. You get that high, you might as well be commissioning stuff anyway. :p

I vote YEA for bump to metro, and I vote YEA for Mowgli & SS21's modification of SK's idea.

IronWolf

blank
I am fine with bumping to metropolis level. I like SK's ideas, just put it into effect at 16,000 instead of 9,000.

So I vote YES.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases