Cleric design goals . Legends and Lore April 23

mkill

Adventurer
EXCALAMATORY STATEMENT RESULTING FROM MISINTERPRETATION OF THE ARTICLE COMBINED WITH MY OWN SPECULATION!!!

SNARKY REPLY THAT IGNORES YOUR POINT AND QUESTIONS HOW SOMEONE LIKE YOU DARES TO CALL HIMSELF D&D FAN!!1!Q!

Regarding the article, I want to be able to make a divine caster who is blatant and unsubtle in his spells and wears a robe. That's the opposite of #2 and #3. Now, this PC doesn't need to have "Cleric" on his sheet, I'm fine if a different clas delivers it. Or a theme, or whatever.

I also want #5 (divine magic is shaped by the gods) to be stressed more strongly.

Daven

First Post
Like................what exactly? I can't say I'm used to seeing anything like an armor clad healing spellcaster with a religious bent anywhere BUT D&D.
I would really like to see them cite an example of this that doesn't come from a D&D novel or a video game based on D&D style fantasy.

The fact is that D&D and videogames based on D&D style fantasy are a very big piece of modern fantasy. Maybe the biggest.
D&D created a sub-genre of fantasy, that now is very known thanks to WOW and many similar videogames.
I find fine that D&D takes from the same sub-genre of fantasy that it created.
If you ask anyone at a Comics convention what a cleric does, I think that the great part of people would describe a D&D cleric.

Like................what exactly? I can't say I'm used to seeing anything like an armor clad healing spellcaster with a religious bent anywhere BUT D&D.
I would really like to see them cite an example of this that doesn't come from a D&D novel or a video game based on D&D style fantasy.

There are several quotes after the article similar to this.

To which I'd reply: "So what?"

Even if they're only drawing from D&D's history....well, I can't think of a better place to draw from.

I'm glad they're staying within the realm of D&D for the D&D classes they're making (and they're also making it flexible enough that you can deviate from it if you want to).

Dornam

First Post
We don't know what they ment when saying "subtle". Harm is quite subtle when compared to Meteor Storm but that doesn't mean that there will be no offensive Clerics.

Bluenose

Adventurer
The fact is that D&D and videogames based on D&D style fantasy are a very big piece of modern fantasy. Maybe the biggest.
D&D created a sub-genre of fantasy, that now is very known thanks to WOW and many similar videogames.
I find fine that D&D takes from the same sub-genre of fantasy that it created.
If you ask anyone at a Comics convention what a cleric does, I think that the great part of people would describe a D&D cleric.

I doubt it. It's certainly not a common thing in video-games. The closest WoW gets to a heavily armoured healer/caster is a healing Paladin. Priests are a very different thing, and I wouldn't say their magic is at all subtle. Outside the specifically D&D videogames, there aren't many other examples. Which isn't to say they don't exist, but the idea that the Cleric described is hwat people would think of first seems rather doubtful to me.

Ahnehnois

First Post
Very positive points. Particularly regarding customization and having mechanics that reflect the cleric's faith, something that 3e did not do as well as 2e.

Hopefully they can make divine magic a little more 'subtle' than it has been.

The one thing that concerns me a little is the line about a cleric of shadows being able to hide even in heavy armor. I'd hope for some invisibility eventually or something, but let's not discard common sense in the name of customization.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
The one thing that concerns me a little is the line about a cleric of shadows being able to hide even in heavy armor. I'd hope for some invisibility eventually or something, but let's not discard common sense in the name of customization.

Why is it hard to think that a cleric of the god of shadows might grant his clerics a perpetual silence magical effect on his person more often than not? Doesn't have to be as powerful as the normal Silence spell, and won't make him the equivalent to a Rogue by any stretch... but it is not beyond the realm of possibility to think that the god might grant the cleric the ability to remove the Armor Check Penalty for his heavy armor, and maybe even grant an extra point or two to stealth. Makes sense to me and probably wouldn't unbalance the cleric by any means.

#4 WOW.

Weapons are used to defeat enemies and armor is used to withstand enemies attacks. :lol:

Who knew?

Seriously if this is the intelligence level they are gearing the writing to, it doesn't look like 5E will have much to offer those of us who are beyond the 4th grade.

Remove ads