Proposal: Wayangs

IronWolf

blank
I'm still considering. Qik makes a good case that the main stats aren't likely to change so much as be added to with various racial alt options, so I'm not as convinced a delay for the book is anything more than a stalling action.

Stalling isn't always a bad thing. One shouldn't feel rushed into a decision if they think something coming down the pike may or may not change their mind. Or even simply wanting more time to soak in the information and the points/counter-points being made.

My vote at the moment is no (subject to change upon discussion). It might actually change upon seeing how we plan to handle the Advanced Races Guide as a whole when it is released.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
I really like the fluff you've put together for these little fellas! I also think they fill a niche with the whole "Gnomes' dark cousins" schtick, and I think that's needed as well. I've found myself drawn to the small races recently, so more options for them is a plus for me.

I like the Gripli, too, but I tried to make a Gripli PC and just couldn't make one that worked for me. Like the Tengu and Merfolk, I think they're just a little too different for my taste in spite of the mechanical advantages. I'd use them as NPC's in a heartbeat, though. Not that they're not playable - GlassEye's doing a great job with his Tengu - I just have a hard time playing them as differently as I should.

SO - I'd like to see these guys in LPF. But I do think it's worthwhile to wait and see if the Race Guide changes anything about them that has a big impact before voting them in, and it sounds like the stealth question needs a little discussion.

I think they're fine as-is from a balance perspective (a little front loaded, but that just means GM's can cut loose a little more ;)), but the fluff suggested for the WIS/Perception question is cool, and if we decide the stealth is too much I like the Knowledge (The Planes) replacement for its fit.

Last edited:

IronWolf

blank
I really like the fluff you've put together for these little fellas! I also think they fill a niche with the whole "Gnomes' dark cousins" schtick, and I think that's needed as well. I've found myself drawn to the small races recently, so more options for them is a plus for me.

I do agree that the fluff write up is good.

Mowgli said:
SO - I'd like to see these guys in LPF. But I do think it's worthwhile to wait and see if the Race Guide changes anything about them that has a big impact before voting them in, and it sounds like the stealth question needs a little discussion.

I see it that we are on the verge of needing to decide our take on races in general with the Races Guide on the horizon. Rather than address it race by race we might need to determine overall guidelines for acceptable races to be allowed in and then apply that "formula" to races from the Races Guide.

Otherwise we are apt to be inconsistent with our acceptance of race proposals. That is one of the reasons I would like to see a delay in adding new races to see what really is in the Races Guide book when published. In the interim, perhaps working up a guideline when reviewing new races.

mowgli said:
I think they're fine as-is from a balance perspective (a little front loaded, but that just means GM's can cut loose a little more ;)), but the fluff suggested for the WIS/Perception question is cool, and if we decide the stealth is too much I like the Knowledge (The Planes) replacement for its fit.

If we do allow new races I think we should accept them RAW. No changes, modifications, etc (save for fluff). That to me opens even more of a slippery slope. We try to keep as close to RAW as possible to ease entry for people into the LPF. If we start swapping racial abilities someone will join in 6 months and then be surprised the race doesn't work like they think it does. I think it is best to avoid that.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
I see it that we are on the verge of needing to decide our take on races in general with the Races Guide on the horizon. Rather than address it race by race we might need to determine overall guidelines for acceptable races to be allowed in and then apply that "formula" to races from the Races Guide.

Otherwise we are apt to be inconsistent with our acceptance of race proposals. That is one of the reasons I would like to see a delay in adding new races to see what really is in the Races Guide book when published. In the interim, perhaps working up a guideline when reviewing new races.

If we do allow new races I think we should accept them RAW. No changes, modifications, etc (save for fluff). That to me opens even more of a slippery slope. We try to keep as close to RAW as possible to ease entry for people into the LPF. If we start swapping racial abilities someone will join in 6 months and then be surprised the race doesn't work like they think it does. I think it is best to avoid that.

I agree with pretty much all of this. So far we've made very few changes to RAW for races, and only when nessessary to make them work in a shared world setting. That's a good approach to move forward with, IMO.

Qik

First Post
I also agree that sticking to RAW is the preferential way to go; I had only suggested it in case others were comfortable with making the minor change, since personally, I would have hated to have the Wayangs rejected on the basis of a +2 modifier to one skill (which doesn't seem like it will be the case).

Determining a formula for accepting races from the ARG sounds like a good idea, but I'm not sure how one would go about determining that without running the risk of unintended inclusions or omissions. Personally, I would feel much more comfortable continuing our trend of accepting things based on proposals. It's a lot more work, yes, but I feel it's the most sure-fire way to avoid unintended consequences. That's just my two cents.

As I said earlier, putting off this proposal would in my view net little except for stalling. I can't really see Paizo making any changes that would have an impact on our decision: given the relatively close proximity of the release of the Dragon Empires to the ARG, I would imagine the casting of Wayangs will be relatively consistent. Putting off this proposal whilst deciding what to do about allowing new races in general, on the other hand, strikes me as more sensible, although again, I'm not entirely convinced that we'll be able to come up with an overall consensus on factors which dictate the inclusion or exclusion of races which would enable us to much more smoothly deal with the incoming new races from the ARG. I could, of course, be entirely wrong on that, though. ;)

Last edited:

IronWolf

blank
Determining a formula for accepting races from the ARG sounds like a good idea, but I'm not sure how one would go about determining that without running the risk of unintended inclusions or omissions. Personally, I would feel much more comfortable continuing our trend of accepting things based on proposals. It's a lot more work, yes, but I feel it's the most sure-fire way to avoid unintended consequences. That's just my two cents.

Formula may not be the best word. My feeling now is that we don't even have a general feel as to what we want to consider when adding a race. It seems to be skipping a step to be analyzing the Wayang so closely when I don't have a feel for what the community thinks about a proliferation of races.

I don't see the need to rush this particular decision. This rush is even less felt when Paizo is about ready to unleash a whole new set of playable races, custom races, etc.

We are in the upcoming months going to have a whole slew of races to consider and decisions to make. We can certainly look at each case individually if that is what the group thinks is best, but at this point I don't even have a good feel for what the LPF community wants. Do we want a tremendous number of races to choose from or are we more comfortable with a smaller number of races for player choice? I would like to hear from players of LPF, not just judges on this.

I've stated before that I do not like a tremendous number of unusual races in my games. It just breaks what I consider a fantasy world from my perspective. I don't like playing with unusual races in my party, I am a bit plain jane, vanilla like that. It is actually a turn off to me.

With that said, I am very well aware that an "unusual" race is a very subjective opinion and what I consider unusual would not be by others. As a judge I also realize I need to vote with the community in mind, not my personal preferences. And I am willing to vote that way, but right now I don't feel like I know what the community wants and do not feel rushing this vote through is the appropriate path.

Qik said:
As I said earlier, putting off this proposal would in my view net little except for stalling. I can't really see Paizo making any changes that would have an impact on our decision: given the relatively close proximity of the release of the Dragon Empires to the ARG, I would imagine the casting of Wayangs will be relatively consistent. Putting off this proposal whilst deciding what to do about allowing new races in general, on the other hand, strikes me as more sensible, although again, I'm not entirely convinced that we'll be able to come up with an overall consensus on factors which dictate the inclusion or exclusion of races which would enable us to much more smoothly deal with the incoming new races from the ARG. I could, of course, be entirely wrong on that, though. ;)

I don't see it as stalling. I see it as not rushing, getting input from more LPF community members than just judges. With the Races Guide coming that will potentially open the flood gates to new and unusual races I want to know what the LPF community thinks of additional races. Do people want limits, do they want more races, if they want some limits what factors should we consider?

I agree consensus could be difficult on this topic. I've already stated my opinion on races that drift from what I consider mainstream. But as I have also said, I realize I need to vote as a judge and not purely my personal opinion, but I need to know what the community thinks. If there are more people that think like I do then I intend to stand by "No" votes on additional races. If it seems my personal opinion is the minority then I am willing to help get things included that LPF players want. And if we fall somewhere in between then I would like to get a better feel for where that in between is.

Asides from my reservations of non-mainstream races, the fact the Advanced Races Guide is coming makes me want to have a better feel for what people want to see in LPF and less tempted to rush this approval along until we have some consensus from the group (i.e. not just judges) as to where they sit on the issue.

GlassEye

Adventurer
We've already made some general decisions about (though not officially stated) the types of races we'll not allow: typically evil, e.g. goblins, kobolds, and obviously overpowered, e.g. drow noble.

However, I'd prefer to stick with the proposal process for races. Gives us the ability to ask for the race to be integrated into the world a little more like we've done with the dwarves, elves, halflings, & tengu.

jkason

First Post
We've already made some general decisions about (though not officially stated) the types of races we'll not allow: typically evil, e.g. goblins, kobolds, and obviously overpowered, e.g. drow noble.

However, I'd prefer to stick with the proposal process for races. Gives us the ability to ask for the race to be integrated into the world a little more like we've done with the dwarves, elves, halflings, & tengu.

I think I agree that new races might be better done as individual proposals. It means in general we probably need to deal with ARG differently than the other Advanced / Ultimate material. There, the judges adopted an "all in except what's excluded after 6 months" philosophy. The above suggests that ruling should probably only apply to races already playable in LPF, and new races beyond that should be on a per-case / well-integrated basis?

On the specifics of Wayangs, I certainly agree Qik's re-full is well done, though it sounds like I may be in the minority in feelings toward the 'dark x' element and uniqueness. I have some things to contemplate as Mowgli makes a decent point about the ability to more easily integrate 'offshoots' than independent races. Hrm.

Qik

First Post
Well, I certain understand the desire not to rush. The pace at which the discussion naturally resolves itself is fine by me.

Threw up a poll to help gauge community opinion.

IronWolf

blank

With Advanced Races Guide I don't think it hurts to re-evaluate types of races amongst the entire LPF community.

GlassEye said:

No issues with that. I am just saying I don't feel like I have my finger on the pulse as to what the group as a whole thinks of what could be the floodgates opening on new races.

I think I agree that new races might be better done as individual proposals. It means in general we probably need to deal with ARG differently than the other Advanced / Ultimate material. There, the judges adopted an "all in except what's excluded after 6 months" philosophy. The above suggests that ruling should probably only apply to races already playable in LPF, and new races beyond that should be on a per-case / well-integrated basis?

I have no issues with that as noted above (dealing with races on a case by case basis). Though I do think my decisions are apt to be impacted on just how many new races do we consider reasonable adding to LPF.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases