2nd edition to 3rd Edition Item

Skullfyre

First Post
I am forgetting where to place this so if it is moved that is ok...

I am converting a 2nd Edition adventure to 3rd edition.

My problem is I have in the adventure (For up to 4th level characters),there is a libram of Gainful conjurations.
It is for neutral alignment characters who are wizards. It puts them at the midpoint of the next higher level. Now any good or evil mage must make a save or take 5d4 in damage and is unconscious for the same number of rounds. Any non mage must make a save as well to avoid insanity. As well any magic using victims of the book must seek a cleric to attone. Without atoning the character does not gain any experience.

My question/concern is ..... Too powerful?

I know I can change the saves to will saves. but would any dm's allow it for characters who are not yet 4th level?(they are 3rd but fall within the range for the written adventure..) Although the experience from the adventure has too be modified extremely...(another story but have resolved)

Dm's your suggestions......

Please.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

BiggusGeekus@Work

Community Supporter
Hmmmm.

3e is more balance-oriented. I'd actually argue that this item is more balanced at lower levels than higher ones because they gain fewer exp points.

But here's a thought: figure out how many exps this will give the player and tell the player that he has that many exps to create magic items/scrolls/potions/whatever for "free". That is to say the item will only cost gold and time, not exp. That's a pretty nice bonus and the character will stay in sync with the other players.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases