D&D 5E Monte Cook Leaves WotC - No Longer working on D&D Next [updated]

hemera

Explorer
Well, I'm saddened to see such a talented man leave the development team but I won't let this color my opinion of 5e. I'll let the material stand on it's own merits. And besides Monte is a fine developer, he'll do just fine with his own material as he has for years. Perhaps we'll see a new version of Arcana Evolved! :)

Rhenny

Adventurer
This is definitely disconcerting. For design and endorsement purposes, Monte Cook's name would have gone a long way to help bridge the fragmentation between D&D 4e, 3.5 and Pathfinder.

Best of luck to Mr. Cook, and I hope that D&D Next can really provide a game that gives us all a top notch gaming experience.

Yora

Legend
The only source we have on this is Cook.
Who also happens to be the one person who always makes me react with "I think I'd like to hear someone else explain the same thing before I form an oppinion on it". All oppinions on his work aside, and without any implications to his character: The man just isn't good with putting his thoughts into words that deliver the message he has to say.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
I definitely don't want to start yelling the sky is falling, so I won't. And I, like the rest of us, have no idea what this will portend for 5e. But I can say that personally, my optimism in 5e has taken a definite drop.

:(

dm4hire

Explorer
My first thought was "there goes the edition," which I quickly dismissed. My second thought which has been mentioned is that there will be no open playtest. WotC promised it with 4e and never followed through and there has been little talk of it outside of conventions. We'll have to wait and see I guess. I wish Monte the best regardless.

Alphastream

Adventurer
And now it all becomes clear. The edition wars will mark this moment, and really, it was obvious.

Monte Cook had devised a Flumph-based core rules engine. Flumph class, Flumph race, Flumph sub-class, Flumph everything. But he wanted a piece of it. When WotC pointed out that his contract said it was now WotC's creation, well... I mean, he had only one choice to preserve his masterpiece. Now he will start Flumphaizo, using the OGL yet again against WotC and creating a third front in the edition wars and a rift that will never heal ever.

It was so obvious. It was in an old post I made a while back that I just finished editing. You know, for clarity.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Lots of speculation - but the cause could be almost anything. While we can postulate scenarios involving design priorities, licensing issues, and other things, it could simply be something like a contract renewal and Monte not being satisfied with its terms.

There are a thousand possible reasons, and Monte doesn't sound likely to share them. Obviously, that means we'll speculate and conjure different scenarios, and one if them might gain traction and become "accepted" but only Monte and WotC know what the issue really was.

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
The only source we have on this is Cook.
Who also happens to be the one person who always makes me react with "I think I'd like to hear someone else explain the same thing before I form an opinion on it". All opinions on his work aside, and without any implications to his character: The man just isn't good with putting his thoughts into words that deliver the message he has to say.

I'm sorry but we need another source for WHAT exactly?

Monte said:
Last week I decided that I would leave my contract position with Wizards of the Coast.

You need another source for this statement?

Monte said:
I am no longer working on Dungeons & Dragons, although I may provide occasional consultation in the future.

Or maybe this one?

Monte said:
My decision is one based on differences of opinion with the company.

You need to know if he's lying about this? Are you questioning whether he left on his own or was let go?

Monte said:
However, I want to take this time to stress that my differences were not with my fellow designers, Rob Schwalb and Bruce Cordell. I enjoyed every moment of working with them over the past year.

Because yes clarifying that his beefs werent with the other designers might be suspect. I can see that clearly.

Monte said:
I have faith that they'll create a fun game. I'm rooting for them.

He's NOT actually rooting for them. Can someone get a confirmation on this before we go to press?

Monte said:
Due to my non-disclosure agreement, as well as a desire to keep things on a professional level, I have no intention of going into further detail at this time. (Mostly, I just hate drama, and would rather talk about more interesting things.)

So he might NOT have a non-disclosure agreement and is just refusing to drag his business into the street for even more speculation? THAT BASTARD.

Monte said:
As for what I'll be turning to next, I hope you'll stay tuned. I plan on having an interesting announcement in that regard in the near future.

UH-OH he's going to be working...ON SOMETHING ELSE NEXT! He wont announce it though because well he doesnt communicate well. Also we need a confirmation of this whole interesting announcement thing.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases