D&D 5E Monte Cook Leaves WotC - No Longer working on D&D Next [updated]

arsagano

Explorer
I'm not sure why everyone has gone off in the directions as their initial reactions. My gut reaction is that there was a conflict of interest (side projects and such) that Cook felt strongly enough to leave over. If Wizards legal department tried to strong-arm him over his concurrent projects, then I can see him leaving.

Anything else seems unlikely to me. Wizards knew what they were getting when they brought him on board, and he knew what company he signed a deal with at the beginning. I can't see anything design wise causing either to sever ties at this point.

Legal, though...that'll get you every time.

Dausuul

Legend
This thread is sad so I shall derail it:
Wizards of the Coast to reprint Third Edition???

According to the Barnes and Noble website:
BARNES & NOBLE | Dungeons & Dragons Player's Handbook: Core Rulebook I, V. 3.5 with Errata by Wizards RPG Team, Wizards of the Coast | Hardcover

Dungeons & Dragons Player's Handbook: Core Rulebook I, V. 3.5 with Errata
ISBN-13: 9780786962464
Publisher: Wizards of the Coast
Publication date: 9/18/2012
Pages: 320
This item will be available on September 18, 2012.

BARNES & NOBLE | Dungeons & Dragons Dungeons Master's Guide: Core Rulebook II, V. 3.5 with Errata by Wizards RPG Team, Wizards of the Coast | Hardcover

Dungeons & Dragons Dungeons Master's Guide: Core Rulebook II, V. 3.5 with Errata
ISBN-13: 9780786962440
Publisher: Wizards of the Coast
Publication date: 9/18/2012
Pages: 320
This item will be available on September 18, 2012.

Speculate on this! Or is this actually the release date of fifth edition? (September 18, 2012)

Good Gaming!

Very interesting. Those appear to be unique ISBNs--I'm not finding them associated with the old 3.5 books.

Kez Darksun

First Post
Regardless of the reasons for Monte's leaving, the end result for me is that my enthusiasm for 5E took a definite downturn upon my learning of his departure. I'm still interested to see what the remaining design team comes up with, but at best, my current enthusiasm level could be summed up with a resounding 'ehh".

WheresMyD20

First Post
My guess is that it's probably something in the business plan. Remember these business decision gems from WotC?

1) Releasing 3.5 right on the heels of 3.0.

2) Hard-wiring grid & minis combat into the 3e and 4e rules to support their minis line.

3) Splatbooks rushed out the door with seemingly no editing/playtesting, like Sword & Fist.

4) Holding back "core" monsters from the 4e Monster Manual in order to help sales of future Monster Manuals.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if something like this lead Monte to quit.

WheresMyD20

First Post
A lot of weight in DDN designer's shoulders now.

I'd hire some 2E or 3E designer asap...

How about Frank Mentzer, the lead editor for BECMI D&D? He's still around and working in the game industry along with some of the other old timers like Tim Kask and Jim Ward.

I'm not sure if they'd want to be involved or if WotC would want them to be involved. However, if WotC is serious about this being a unification edition, it would be worth reaching out to them.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
My guess is that it's probably something in the business plan. Remember these business decision gems from WotC?

1) Releasing 3.5 right on the heels of 3.0.

2) Hard-wiring grid & minis combat into the 3e and 4e rules to support their minis line.

3) Splatbooks rushed out the door with seemingly no editing/playtesting, like Sword & Fist.

4) Holding back "core" monsters from the 4e Monster Manual in order to help sales of future Monster Manuals.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if something like this lead Monte to quit.

Exactly.

This is why I would never fully buy in to D&D again as long as WotC is the publisher.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases