D&D 5th Edition Monte Cook Leaves WotC - No Longer working on D&D Next [updated] - Page 10




What's on your mind?

  1. #91
    Registered User
    The Grand Druid (Lvl 20)

    Mark CMG's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI 53147
    Posts
    8,754
    GM's DayCMG

    Ignore Mark CMG
    My communities:

    Quote Originally Posted by braro View Post
    Here is why I am unclear on the notice thing.

    He says that he decided to leave his position at WotC last week.
    He is now no longer working for them.

    While he might be "no longer working on Dungeons & Dragons" we don't know if he might be finishing out his two week notice sharpening pencils. Still, I am guessing this decision has actually been coming for some time, since the change over in the L&L articles. He came on board last September, IIRC, about six months ago, so a six month contract seems likely. It might also explain why after the L&L articles were shifted away from him he stayed around this long.

    There are obviously different ideas of the way the fifth edition should be built. Anyone reading the WotC articles and blogs can see they haven't (up to this point) settled on one direction. But now they are at a point where they need to build the new edition in a more serious way, with much more direction, for the subsequent playtesting to have any real use for the designers going forward.

    If, as I speculate, he wanted to go with the OGL and make full use of all the great design ideas that has generated over the last decade+, and management was opposed to doing so, then that would be a very good reason to walk. It might even be that they brought Monte on board because they wanted his OGC without having to use the OGL, because that is one way around it as would be buying it outright, and maybe Monte didn't want to give up the IP but would have been fine using it under the OGL and even expanding on it, because it would remain either his or OGC. We may never know but these are certainly plausible scenarios.
    Last edited by Mark CMG; Thursday, 26th April, 2012 at 12:16 AM.
    Fighting Fire - Ernie Gygax Relief Fund

    Please, help boost the signal!

    http://tinyurl.com/gygaxrelief

    As always,
    Mark CMG
    CreativeMountainGames.com

 

  • #92
    Registered User
    Gallant (Lvl 3)



    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Greater Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    50

    Ignore braro
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark CMG View Post
    While he might be "no longer working on Dungeons & Dragons" we don't know if he might be finishing out his two week notice sharpening pencils. Still, I am guessing this decision has actually been coming for some time, since the change over in the L&L articles. He came on board last September, IIRC, about six months ago, so a six month contract seems likely. It might also explain why after the L&L articles were shifted away from him he stayed around this long.
    Working on a non-D&D product is also a viable explanation.

    Again, I am not saying that Monte did not give 2 weeks notice. What I am saying is that I do not have enough information to assume I know what is going on.

    One thing I do want to point out is that you suggest that it was probably coming and the L&L shift was when WotC maybe decided on a direction; I think that could be possible, but that would be information I would want to actually have from a reliable source, not something I would want to assume.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark CMG View Post
    There are obviously different ideas of the way the fifth edition should be built. Anyone reading the WotC articles and blogs can see they haven't (up to this point) settled on one direction. But now they are at a point where they need to build the new edition in a more serious way, with much more direction, for the subsequent playtesting to have any real use for the designers going forward.

    If, as I speculate, he wanted to go with the OGL and make full use of all the great design ideas that has generated over the last decade+, and management was opposed to doing so, then that would be a very good reason to walk. It might even be that they brought Monte on board because they wanted his OGC without having to use the OGL, because that is one way around it as would be buying it outright, and maybe Monte didn't want to give up the IP but would have been fine using it under the OGL and even expanding on it, because it would remain either his or OGC. We may never know but these are certainly plausible scenarios.
    These are all indeed possibilities. There are numerous plausible scenarios, and the speculation is fun; I am just responding more to the idea that we should take everything Monte said as a clearly thought out explanation with all the details we need to understand the truth of the situation. That there is nothing in his post that shouldn't be taken with a grain of skepticism.

  • #93
    Aasimar Aardvark COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

    TarionzCousin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Portland, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    4,932
    PlanescapeCircvs MaximvsGygax Memorial Fund

    Ignore TarionzCousin
    My communities:

    Quote Originally Posted by kitsune9 View Post
    Best of luck Monte. Would like you to put some products out from Malhavoc. Another dungeon crawl comes to mind as I liked Banewarrens and Demon God's Fane.
    Absolutely. Monte is in position to write the first great 5E adventure.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shemeska View Post
    As for what Monte does next, I wish him all the luck in the world, and whatever he might have up his sleeve to announce as a next project, I'll give it a look when it's announced.
    Perhaps now is a good time to approach him with a Planescape-esque Pathfinder project.
    Rose City Regulars - ENWorld Gamers in and around Portland, Oregon, USA

  • #94
    Community Supporter COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

    Hal G's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    155
    I Defended The Walls!

    Ignore Hal G
    Quote Originally Posted by braro View Post
    I don't think he is lying, because the situation is probably that there is no capital-T Truth, just a lot of stories that are true from everyone's perspective.

    Just that, before I can really comment on the situation beyond asking questions or picking at things that I want further explained, I would want more information.

    For example, for the two weeks notice thing? Generally even contractors I have hired give that courtesy; but the situation could be such that this wasn't a "declaring notice" thing. It could be that the allocated hours completed, and Monte didn't want to re-up, or it could be that WotC was way behind on payments, or it could even be that they were collapsing roles and Monte chose to step away from what he felt was a negative situation so that somebody else could keep their job.

    Both of those would match what Monte describes, but they imply different things about what is going on behind the scenes.

    So, yes, if I were being pushed to comment or to decide how I felt about the situation, I would need another source or more information.

    Plenty of companies that when you give 2 week notice, accept your resignation and agree (pay wise) but do not want any issues and ask you to leave ASAP.
    Hal G

    See me at my blog.
    I talk about Fall of Man, and the new Fantasy Anthology world, The Awakened and more.

  • #95
    Registered User
    Gallant (Lvl 3)



    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Greater Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    50

    Ignore braro
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal G View Post
    Plenty of companies that when you give 2 week notice, accept your resignation and agree (pay wise) but do not want any issues and ask you to leave ASAP.
    Indeed; that is something I mentioned in an earlier post (but after the one your are quoting). This is especially true in areas where you don't want a person taking information with them.

    Somebody else said it could have been a six month contract, that then Monte didn't want to renew; that would explain everything true.

    Again, I am not saying Monte failed to give notice. Just that if one of my colleagues put out a post like that, my first step to understanding the information would be to go to a friend still in to the organization and ask "whafu?"

  • #96
    Registered User
    Thaumaturgist (Lvl 9)



    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    St. Louis Park, MN
    Posts
    2,406
    Blog Entries
    3

    Ignore Zaukrie
    When one of the 3-5 people running a project quits, that not usually a good sign. Just speaking from years of experience on projects....Some of the comments in this thread make me sad for the community, but I'm not surprised by them.

  • #97
    Registered User
    The Grand Druid (Lvl 20)

    Mark CMG's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI 53147
    Posts
    8,754
    GM's DayCMG

    Ignore Mark CMG
    My communities:

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark CMG View Post
    I am just responding more to the idea that we should take everything Monte said as a clearly thought out explanation with all the details we need to understand the truth of the situation. That there is nothing in his post that shouldn't be taken with a grain of skepticism.

    Well, that happens to be in error as line-by-line was pointed out earlier in this thread directly to you, though perhaps you haven't read that yet. Nothing he says is speculative or unclear. He is leaving. He says it is not because of Rob Schwalb and Bruce Cordell. He says he has had disagreements with WotC. An NDA prevents him from saying more at this time though he wouldn't probably say anymore anyway because he doesn't like drama. None of this is speculation or in need of verification. None of it requires the other side of the story. Perhaps you didn't read his anouncement very closely?

    http://montecook.livejournal.com/251404.html
    Fighting Fire - Ernie Gygax Relief Fund

    Please, help boost the signal!

    http://tinyurl.com/gygaxrelief

    As always,
    Mark CMG
    CreativeMountainGames.com

  • #98
    Registered User
    Acolyte (Lvl 2)



    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    35

    Ignore RoboCheney
    Designing D&D 5E is about the most prestigious spot an RPG developer could be in right now. So it must have been something pretty significant, maybe disagreement over the direction or some feature that we won't find out about for months. I could see this relating to the OGL, as keener observers have speculated.

    But we only get a tiny window into the full breadth of WotC's internal going-ons, so who knows . . .

  • #99
    Registered User
    Magsman (Lvl 14)

    BryonD's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    7,036

    Ignore BryonD
    My communities:

    To me the biggest shame of this is that it is going to open the door to an endless pattern of "woulda coulda shoulda".
    Still running a great game

  • #100
    Registered User
    Magsman (Lvl 14)

    Herremann the Wise's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    2,286
    Blog Entries
    4

    Ignore Herremann the Wise
    My communities:

    Just popping into this thread to wish Monte all the best and looking forward to seeing what he does next. He has not deserved the vitriol he has received from a specific section of the D&D community.

    Best Regards
    Herremann the Wise
    Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not,
    and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is.

    Oscar Wilde

    He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder.
    Tad Williams

  • + Log in or register to post
    Page 10 of 52 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Monte Cook working on 5E?
      By Galeros in forum D&D 5th Edition
      Replies: 95
      Last Post: Wednesday, 2nd October, 2013, 09:48 PM
    2. Is Monte Cook working on D&D 5th Edition?
      By Morrus in forum D&D 5th Edition
      Replies: 57
      Last Post: Wednesday, 2nd October, 2013, 04:59 PM
    3. Replies: 510
      Last Post: Thursday, 9th August, 2012, 04:24 PM
    4. Margaret Weis says Monte Cook is working on 5E
      By Alzrius in forum General RPG Discussion
      Replies: 6
      Last Post: Saturday, 15th October, 2011, 01:38 AM
    5. Monte Cook is working on D&D again!
      By Sonny in forum Older D&D Editions and OSR Gaming
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: Tuesday, 20th September, 2011, 05:24 AM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •