D&D 5E Monte Cook Leaves WotC - No Longer working on D&D Next [updated]

Lord Rasputin

Explorer
Mearls is "surprised, and frankly saddened." This does not sound like the team planned for this, and Mearls quickly changes the subject to the planned part, the Public Playtest.

I suppose this could be worse: Mearls might not have had another topic, whatever he was doing left with Cook, which would have been disastrous. But there isn't any good way to spin this, the biggest name writer taking off a month before the public playtest.

Dausuul

Legend

Ha, well, that's one way to avoid getting into the nasty details of just what blew up in Seattle today: Announce the playtest! I wonder if they were going to announce today anyway, or if the announcement got moved up because Mearls needed a way to change the subject. :)

It's a smart move though. The Monte thing had the potential to become a real firestorm, fueled by the absence of concrete information on just what D&DN looks like. Now I expect it will die down, since we'll be able to see the rules and draw our own conclusions in a month. If nothing else, this puts the kibosh on speculation that Monte left because the playtest was being abandoned.

Also: Playtest! Awesome! Yes! *runs in circles*

Last edited:

jsaving

Adventurer
For those knowledgeable of such things, are there now any designers working on DNDNext that didn't work on 4e?
I don't believe so. That said, it's important to remember that there were internal disagreements within WotC as to whether 4e's main design changes were the right way to go, so it would be a mistake to assume that everyone with a 4e credit to their name necessarily agreed with its design approach then or now.

GreyLord

Legend
MY opinion on some of what happened...which will probably not be noticed by anyone on these boards anyways is this...

Monte coming to WotC was not a unanimous decision. Some wanted him, others did not. SOME of those who were wary of him coming back to WotC did NOT make it easy for him, and in some ways may have made his life rather difficult at times. Hence it would go far beyond mere design quibbles IMO of course. It would involve other things, perhaps those difficulties extended into areas more noticeable than others, but overall I think that's the heart of the matter. There were some who definately were not being completely agreeable (at least one could say that) with Mr. Cook

It's a two way street though. It takes two to quibble, and two to tango. I don't think to say WotC is the big evil arena is fair, nor necessarily even the correct view.

One big thing I feel got Mr. Cook the job was that he WAS such a known figure in the gaming industry. His connection brought instant attention from particular groups within the RPG community of players and enthusiasts. In this he was being used...but I think he KNEW he was being used on that basis as well. Whether that was the right call to bring him in for that purpose or not probably has yet to be seen with it's ramifications.

I think WotC would benefit by at least appearing to use him for consultation if nothing else, as it keeps him connected, and hence those who follow him connected as well. However, ultimately it is their's and HIS call (remember, it takes two to tango, both with differences AND agreements).

I hope for him the best, and hope that he remains connected with those who love him at WotC, as well as those who are his devout followers.

I also think there is more to this than what is being seen up front, and probably best for BOTH parties if such information wasn't shared with everyone out there.

aventhar

Explorer
Well I was excited about 5e. Now its just a curiousity. After the goat rodeo that was 4e, I have no faith in WOTC whatsoever.

By the way, if Monte is living iin the Seatle area now, I hear that there may be another game company operating there.... Just sayin...

Good luck Monte!

theuglyamerican

First Post
As someone who was coming from Pathfinder as an interested observer/potential customer, I'm dismayed by this. It's not that I think Monte Cook is the greatest game designer of all time or that I like everything he's done; neither would be true. But of the team, Cook was obviously the guy who was "looking out for the interests" of 3.x players who didn't make the transition to 4e. He was the one we were counting on to make our voices heard and to filter feedback through that point of view, and with him gone, we've lost "our champion," so to speak.

Many posters who like 4e are rejoicing about this, but this is a short-sighted view, IMO. The general understanding seems to be that Hasbro pulled the plug on 4e because it wasn't meeting sales expectations. The stated (and restated ad nauseum) goal of the new edition is to unite players of all editions. How are 3.x players supposed to have confidence in that goal now? And if the 3.x players don't come back from Pathfinder, 5e will do no better than 4e. Do you really think that Hasbro will hesitate to pull the plug on 5e when they already have WotC on a short leash with the D&D IP? Maybe 5e will be the game you want, but for how long?

Warunsun

First Post
Third Edition Returns???

This thread is sad so I shall derail it:
Wizards of the Coast to reprint Third Edition???

According to the Barnes and Noble website:
BARNES & NOBLE | Dungeons & Dragons Player's Handbook: Core Rulebook I, V. 3.5 with Errata by Wizards RPG Team, Wizards of the Coast | Hardcover

Dungeons & Dragons Player's Handbook: Core Rulebook I, V. 3.5 with Errata
ISBN-13: 9780786962464
Publisher: Wizards of the Coast
Publication date: 9/18/2012
Pages: 320
This item will be available on September 18, 2012.

BARNES & NOBLE | Dungeons & Dragons Dungeons Master's Guide: Core Rulebook II, V. 3.5 with Errata by Wizards RPG Team, Wizards of the Coast | Hardcover

Dungeons & Dragons Dungeons Master's Guide: Core Rulebook II, V. 3.5 with Errata
ISBN-13: 9780786962440
Publisher: Wizards of the Coast
Publication date: 9/18/2012
Pages: 320
This item will be available on September 18, 2012.

Speculate on this! Or is this actually the release date of fifth edition? (September 18, 2012)

Good Gaming!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases