D&D 5th Edition Monte Cook Leaves WotC - No Longer working on D&D Next [updated] - Page 16

+ Log in or register to post
Page 16 of 52 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast
    I'm not at all concerned about a blame game—I'm just concerned that the design team might no longer have an advocate for some of the changes that many of us hope are coming.

I'm definitely going to look at the playtest materials, but this is some very worrying news, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyronus View Post
    The worst in tone was simply "good riddance."

Oh no, how terrible. He expressed the feeling that it was better that Monte not work on the project and nothing else. The horror :/
    Perhaps my reading is uncharitable, but I believe "good riddance" expressed contempt. Few things in game design merit such a response, and fewer still will be guided to anything constructive by its naked expression.

Defender (Lvl 8)

Ignore Olaf the Stout
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbran View Post
    Yeah, but it's pretty darned speculative, nonetheless, trying to read between the lines.

I say the Golden Rule applies. How much would you like people to read into the details of what *you* don't say? How much of your real intent do you figure they'd get?
    Oh it's definitely speculative. All I know about this situation is the statement from Monte and from Mike.

However, I would have thought the 4 most prominent people on this project were Mike Mearls, Monte Cook, Rob Schwalb and Bruce Cordell. Monte names 2 of the other 3, but does not mention Mike at all? That just strikes me as odd.

Except that in that sentence he was talking about Designers, which Mike Mearls is not from what I recall. Mike works in Design, but as a head of the department, not as part of the team, which I believe is what Monte is specifically talking about here. Honestly its best just to give Monte and Mike the benefit of the doubt on this one.
    You are correct (at least as far as I am aware). Mike Mearls was overseeing it all, rather than working at the same level as Monte, Rob and Bruce.

Having said that though. Why wouldn't you also mention that you wish Mike the best if you are going to name the 2 other designers, especially when Mike states that Monte is a friend.

Yes, it is purely speculation on my behalf, but my gut reaction was (and still is) why didn't Monte mention the Mike Mearls also wasn't the issue and wish him the best?

Something just doesn't seem quite right about that. I doubt the real reasons will be revealed though.

Olaf the Stout
    Finished running my group through the SCAP, now I'm running them through the AoW AP

Eternal Optimist SILVER DEFENDER
    Grandfather of Assassins (Lvl 19)

Blog Entries
    D&D Doctor Who I Defended The Walls!

Ignore MerricB
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Rasputin View Post
    Is Mearls a designer on this project, or more of an administrative team lead, more like Dancey's old role?
    Mike Mearls, Team Lead
    Greg Bilsland, Team Producer
    Monte Cook, Design Team Lead - Monte Cook left on April 25 2012
    Bruce Cordell, Designer
    Robert J. Schwalb, Designer
    Jeremy Crawford, Development Team Lead
    Tom LaPille, Developer
    Rodney Thompson, Developer
    Miranda Horner, Editor

I'm sure Mike has design input, but he'd be more of a co-ordinator than anything (setting overall goals, etc.)

Cheers!
    Merric Blackman
    Merric's Blog - a blog about gaming | Now on Twitter!
    Reviews of classic D&D adventures
    Visualising Combat in Dungeons & Dragons | What's Changed in Dungeons & Dragons 5E
    Merric's Law of Miniatures: Non-Random Packaging, Cheap Prices, and a Large Range of Figures: Choose two.

Magsman (Lvl 14)

Blog Entries

Ignore Herremann the Wise
    I'm also a little curious where all this "4venger crowing" is. I've seen... six, maybe, posts in this thread expressing positive feelings that Monte has left. The worst in tone was simply "good riddance."
    EN World has not seen very much of this at all over the past few months; RPG.NET however and some of their pro-4e crowd is a very different story. Criticism of not only his work but the rest of the design team's is a good thing as it will make the eventual product stronger. However, there is a significant contingent there focused on mocking/ridiculing Monte's efforts. Some of that contingent have posted on this thread to dance their happy dances now that he has pulled out.

It is a shame as Kamikaze Midget says that some people will take it that far.

Best Regards
    Herremann the Wise
    Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not,
    and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is.

Oscar Wilde

He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder.
    Tad Williams

Magsman (Lvl 14)

Ignore Johnny3D3D
    I noticed the other thread before this one, so I've already posted my thoughts there: http://www.enworld.org/forum/new-hor...ml#post5891548

Eternal Optimist SILVER DEFENDER
    Grandfather of Assassins (Lvl 19)

Blog Entries
    D&D Doctor Who I Defended The Walls!

Ignore MerricB
    Monte's clarified that he worked most closely with Bruce and Rob, so they're who he thanked.

Linky: The Chapel Perilous - Praise and Criticism

Cheers!
    Merric Blackman
    Merric's Blog - a blog about gaming | Now on Twitter!
    Reviews of classic D&D adventures
    Visualising Combat in Dungeons & Dragons | What's Changed in Dungeons & Dragons 5E
    Merric's Law of Miniatures: Non-Random Packaging, Cheap Prices, and a Large Range of Figures: Choose two.

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Ignore Ramen
    If Monte Cook is confident that the designers are going to make a fun game then I'm going to remain optimistic. Maybe a bit more cautious but still optimistic.

Defender (Lvl 8)

Ignore Olaf the Stout
    Quote Originally Posted by MerricB View Post
    Monte's clarified that he worked most closely with Bruce and Rob, so they're who he thanked.

Linky: The Chapel Perilous - Praise and Criticism

Cheers!
    Thanks for that Merric. I'm glad Monte made that clarification.

Olaf the Stout
    Finished running my group through the SCAP, now I'm running them through the AoW AP

This thread just makes me a sad panda. All the way around.
    The rules don't give the DM their authority. The consent of the players does. - Mallus

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 16 of 52 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast