D&D 5E Monte Cook Leaves WotC - No Longer working on D&D Next [updated]

Perspicacity

First Post
I'm not at all concerned about a blame game—I'm just concerned that the design team might no longer have an advocate for some of the changes that many of us hope are coming.

I'm definitely going to look at the playtest materials, but this is some very worrying news, in my opinion.

Ainamacar

Adventurer
The worst in tone was simply "good riddance."

Oh no, how terrible. He expressed the feeling that it was better that Monte not work on the project and nothing else. The horror :/

Perhaps my reading is uncharitable, but I believe "good riddance" expressed contempt. Few things in game design merit such a response, and fewer still will be guided to anything constructive by its naked expression.

Yeah, but it's pretty darned speculative, nonetheless, trying to read between the lines.

I say the Golden Rule applies. How much would you like people to read into the details of what *you* don't say? How much of your real intent do you figure they'd get?

Oh it's definitely speculative. All I know about this situation is the statement from Monte and from Mike.

However, I would have thought the 4 most prominent people on this project were Mike Mearls, Monte Cook, Rob Schwalb and Bruce Cordell. Monte names 2 of the other 3, but does not mention Mike at all? That just strikes me as odd.

Except that in that sentence he was talking about Designers, which Mike Mearls is not from what I recall. Mike works in Design, but as a head of the department, not as part of the team, which I believe is what Monte is specifically talking about here. Honestly its best just to give Monte and Mike the benefit of the doubt on this one.

You are correct (at least as far as I am aware). Mike Mearls was overseeing it all, rather than working at the same level as Monte, Rob and Bruce.

Having said that though. Why wouldn't you also mention that you wish Mike the best if you are going to name the 2 other designers, especially when Mike states that Monte is a friend.

Yes, it is purely speculation on my behalf, but my gut reaction was (and still is) why didn't Monte mention the Mike Mearls also wasn't the issue and wish him the best?

Something just doesn't seem quite right about that. I doubt the real reasons will be revealed though.

Olaf the Stout

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Is Mearls a designer on this project, or more of an administrative team lead, more like Dancey's old role?

Mike Mearls, Team Lead
Greg Bilsland, Team Producer
Monte Cook, Design Team Lead - Monte Cook left on April 25 2012
Bruce Cordell, Designer
Robert J. Schwalb, Designer
Jeremy Crawford, Development Team Lead
Tom LaPille, Developer
Rodney Thompson, Developer
Miranda Horner, Editor

I'm sure Mike has design input, but he'd be more of a co-ordinator than anything (setting overall goals, etc.)

Cheers!

I'm also a little curious where all this "4venger crowing" is. I've seen... six, maybe, posts in this thread expressing positive feelings that Monte has left. The worst in tone was simply "good riddance."
EN World has not seen very much of this at all over the past few months; RPG.NET however and some of their pro-4e crowd is a very different story. Criticism of not only his work but the rest of the design team's is a good thing as it will make the eventual product stronger. However, there is a significant contingent there focused on mocking/ridiculing Monte's efforts. Some of that contingent have posted on this thread to dance their happy dances now that he has pulled out.

It is a shame as Kamikaze Midget says that some people will take it that far.

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

Ramen

First Post
If Monte Cook is confident that the designers are going to make a fun game then I'm going to remain optimistic. Maybe a bit more cautious but still optimistic.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases