The Sky is Not Falling

Status
Not open for further replies.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Personally, I think it's a bad sign not so much for his design skills, but what he represents - a link to both 3e and 2e.

AFAIK, this basically leaves the team that designed 4e, which frankly, is not going to win back any people who were alienated by 4e.

There are a whole bunch of 2e guys still around (Zeb Cook, Jeff Grubb), and many 1e/BD&D guys that could have been brought in to consult. Roger E. Moore would have been my pick, or Frank Mentzer (whose version of D&D is perhaps the best selling ever, at least I think the Aceceum says that).

I mean, they want to make a version of D&D that appeals to everyone that loved D&D in the past, but all the designers seem to be from the WOTC as a division of Hasbro era. Big corporation people, not little small company aimed at a hobby.

Jawsh

First Post
If Monte's out, I'm out.

Not in the sense that I won't buy it. I'm going to buy the 5E core rulebooks, whatever form they take. I will play 5E at conventions and for one-shots. But 3E remains my game. When it comes to adventures, splatbooks, miniatures, and magazine articles, I'm going to be supporting Pathfinder.

variant

Adventurer
I am disappointed that there will be very little chance to see a 5e Bard modeled after Monte's Eldritch Might II Bard.

Last edited:

ColoradoGuy

First Post
Thrilled he's gone--didn't like 3e, didn't like his ideas for Next. I do think the sudden release of the playtest is damage control over his departure but unless the rules have changed mightily since I last saw them about two months ago, I think it's gonna bomb.

avin

First Post
Well, one day after Monte's announce we got a blog article about Healing Surges... and I would bet soon we'll be talking about encounter powers...

...unless Wotc hires some major guy from 2E or 3E I don't see optimism in the "unite all players" area...

avin

First Post
Personally, I think it's a bad sign not so much for his design skills, but what he represents - a link to both 3e and 2e.

This.

The lead designer left.
The link between 5E and 2E/3E left.

This is clearly not a good sign, like him or not.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads