D&D 3rd Edition / 3.5 D&D 3.5 Reprints in September?

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

The Guvnor
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

Blog Entries
    13th AgeSupermanCircvs MaximvsENniesPathfinderZEITGEISTDoctor Who

Ignore Morrus
    My communities:

D&D 3.5 Reprints in September?

EN World member Warunsun spotted entries for the D&D 3.5 rulebooks (with errata) on Barnes & Noble's website.

UPDATE: Barnes & Noble has removed these items from the website. Speculation is that this was some kind of third-party hoax, based on the fact that a recent board game reissue from WotC appeared on that site and disappeared after WotC confirmed that it was a fake. Additionally, a fourth item simply named "Provalone" disappeared; some folks thought that might be the Monster Manual, and other very optimistic people put forward the idea that It might be a secret code name for a rushed D&D Next release this year. Whatever the truth of it, the 3.5 PHB, DMG, "Dungeon!", and Provalone have all disappeared, and the Dungeon! entry has been confirmed as a hoax.

UPDATE 2: OK, so it turns out the Dungeon! entry was NOT fake. It has now appeared on WotC's own website. Oh, I'm so confused.

Dungeons & Dragons Player's Handbook: Core Rulebook I, V. 3.5 with Errata
    ISBN-13: 9780786962464
    Publisher: Wizards of the Coast
    Publication date: 9/18/2012
    Pages: 320
    This item will be available on September 18, 2012.

Dungeons & Dragons Dungeons Master's Guide: Core Rulebook II, V. 3.5 with Errata
    ISBN-13: 9780786962440
    Publisher: Wizards of the Coast
    Publication date: 9/18/2012
    Pages: 320
    This item will be available on September 18, 2012.

Last edited by Morrus; Friday, 27th April, 2012 at 08:33 PM.

Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

Ignore DimitriX
    My communities:

I wonder if this is my Monte left. He wanted piles of cash in order for WotC to re-release the old 3.5 stuff and they wouldn't pay out.

Mod Squad
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

Blog Entries

Ignore Umbran
    Quote Originally Posted by DimitriX View Post
    I wonder if this is my Monte left. He wanted piles of cash in order for WotC to re-release the old 3.5 stuff and they wouldn't pay out.
    He might disagree with the business decision to reprint material, but it is pretty clear that WotC holds the copyright on 3.5e, not the individual designers. Monte would have to be pretty far out there to expect any money out of the reprint.

Defender (Lvl 8)

Ignore ruemere
    My communities:

Is it April the 1st already?

Weird. Seriously weird - to what purpose WotC would print an obsolete version of the system (yes, I know that there are people out there who still play 3.5 instead of its several descendants but the numbers should not be sufficient to justify an entirely new edition)? Especially since there are handy electronic equivalents already...

Regards,
    Ruemere
    Www: ruemere.com/scarredlands/, ruemere.com/cmpgn03/

Community Supporter
    Spellbinder (Lvl 16)

Wizards of the Coast

Ignore mudbunny
    My communities:

Quote Originally Posted by ruemere View Post

Weird. Seriously weird - to what purpose WotC would print an obsolete version of the system (yes, I know that there are people out there who still play 3.5 instead of its several descendants but the numbers should not be sufficient to justify an entirely new edition)? Especially since there are handy electronic equivalents already...

Regards,
    Ruemere
    Because there are many, many people out there that have expressed the desire to give WotC $$$ in exchange for 3.5 that has been updated with the errata.

Thaumaturgist (Lvl 9)

Blog Entries

Ignore Nellisir
    My communities:

Weird. Seriously weird - to what purpose WotC would print an obsolete version of the system?
    A straight-up run at the Pathfinder market, to perk their interest and get them looking at WotC products again. Particularly if you slip a few pages of ads for D&D Next in the back.

I agree that September seems awful quick for D&DN, but I also think talking about it for, what -- A year-and-a-half? Two years? -- doesn't make a whole lot of sense either. Either they're trying to bump up a little revenue for the lean times, or D&DN is coming out sooner than we know.
    Secrets of the Shadowend - Notes, scribblings, writings, and memorandum on the Shadowend Campaign Setting.

Dungeon Master
    Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

Ignore Warunsun
    Regards,
    Ruemere
    Greetings
    While Wizards of the Coast has never kept two versions of D&D in print at the same time the original company TSR, Inc did. They continued to print Advanced Dungeons & Dragons hardcover rulebooks (from first edition) after AD&D Second Edition was in print. My personal copy of the AD&D Player's Handbook was from the 17th printing done in July of 1990.

It makes sense for Wizards to make available third edition core rulebooks (in limited quantities) if they believe that people would buy them. It could also be noteworthy if they sold out quickly. They seem to be in an experimentation phase. First the "Essential" version in cheap paperback editions (like a Savage Worlds RPG book) and a short and limited release of "boxed sets" like the Master Sets, the Madness at Gardmore Abbey, and Gloomwrought. Then the news of the First Edition limited set and a huge fan demand for it.

I came across the v3.5 listing when I was looking to see how wide the First Edition re-release was becoming.

It makes sense to go with 3rd edition reprints before 2nd edition because there is a huge active fan-base for v3.5 buying Pathfinder stuff. If these reprints work out you never know we might see a limited print run again of the Basic Cyclopedia and 2nd edition. I don't imagine that any of the reprints (including the first edition ones) will be in huge numbers.

Guide (Lvl 11)

Blog Entries

Ignore Knightfall
    My communities:

Quote Originally Posted by Warunsun View Post
    It makes sense for Wizards to make available third edition core rulebooks (in limited quantities) if they believe that people would buy them. It could also be noteworthy if they sold out quickly. They seem to be in an experimentation phase. First the "Essential" version in cheap paperback editions (like a Savage Worlds RPG book) and a short and limited release of "boxed sets" like the Master Sets, the Madness at Gardmore Abbey, and Gloomwrought. Then the news of the First Edition limited set and a huge fan demand for it.
    This made me think of the following idea...

D&D reprints done in digest-sized format.
    Robert Blezard

Guide (Lvl 11)

Blog Entries

Ignore Knightfall
    My communities:

Ooh. I just had another idea...

The PHBs for 1st Edition, 2nd Edition, and 3rd Edition all redone in a digest-sized format and sold together as a gift pack.
    Robert Blezard

Lama (Lvl 13)

Ignore kitsune9
    My communities:

3.5? Really? Why not 2e after 1e and then follow it up with 3.0 and then 3.5. Probably going to pass on this lot.

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast