D&D 3.5 Reprints in September?

Remathilis

Legend
So, a Rules Cyclopedia reprint, because I don't believe that ever got Errata. Maybe it did, that was pre-internet time after all. Did they hide some in the back of later Poor Wizard's Almanacs?

Aaron Allston went on record to admit there are errors in the manuscript between the RC and BECMI box sets. Additionally, the weapon mastery rules were never playtested. A few tweaks to both would make it heavenly. To be honest, I'd take A reprint as-is.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
It makes sense for Wizards to make available third edition core rulebooks (in limited quantities) if they believe that people would buy them. It could also be noteworthy if they sold out quickly. They seem to be in an experimentation phase. First the "Essential" version in cheap paperback editions (like a Savage Worlds RPG book) and a short and limited release of "boxed sets" like the Master Sets, the Madness at Gardmore Abbey, and Gloomwrought. Then the news of the First Edition limited set and a huge fan demand for it.
This made me think of the following idea...

D&D reprints done in digest-sized format. :hmm:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Ooh. I just had another idea...

The PHBs for 1st Edition, 2nd Edition, and 3rd Edition all redone in a digest-sized format and sold together as a gift pack. :cool:

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Are there many games besides D&D and Pathfinder that have conducted open playtests as long or longer? I can't think of any, off the top of my head. I agree that an open playtest should be longer than 4 months (assuming that's as long as it will be; I'm inclined to think it will be longer), but I don't think it will accomplish nothing for it to be four months.

By the way, are the products linked to gone for everyone else? They're not there when I click the links.

Oh I didn't mean playtesting would accomplish nothing in 4 months. I'm sure they will be able to gather mucho data with 4 months of open playtesting. I mean that four months is not enough time to playtest, process the data collected, finish the rules, write the rules, write the fluff, edit and proof the books, send them to the printer, and have them arrive for an on-sale date in september.

Good luck with that. It's not happening.

Iceciro

First Post
Aftermarket prices only show what a small segment of the population is willing to pay, not what the average gamer will pay, and thats the core problem. The fact that there are some persons who would pay 150 per book has little bearing on how many people would be interested in a 35 dollar reprint set; its a willingness to pay that price, not a question of supply and demand there.

DMKastmaria

First Post
Aftermarket prices only show what a small segment of the population is willing to pay, not what the average gamer will pay, and thats the core problem. The fact that there are some persons who would pay 150 per book has little bearing on how many people would be interested in a 35 dollar reprint set; its a willingness to pay that price, not a question of supply and demand there.

The 3.5 aftermarket is its own beast, in this regard and isn't being driven by "collectors." There's no question of rarity. There are many auctions, every week for the core 3.5 material (as well as splats, etc.) Those auctions consistently rock toast and have been doing so, for a long time.

Several years later, with PF out and 5e on the horizon, the 3.5 PH still averages $35 all by itself. I think there was 12 - 15 auctions last week, that were solely for the PH.

Last edited:

FitzTheRuke

Legend

Dr. Kromm, from Steve Jackson Games, said that in their experiences, that didn't work so well.

This is what I meant by "roughly". Speaking as a game retailer, I can attest there is plenty of demand for the 3.5 Players Handbook. Some people may be willing to pay top dollar for it, but many people would be willing to pay standard retail for it.

Whereas 2nd Ed and even 3.0 books are pretty easy to come by at cheap prices.

Aftermarket is primarily controlled by supply and demand, but is sometimes skewed (especially on e-bay) by localized demand (ie one crazy person wanting it really bad) overshadowing right-this-second's supply.

This isn't the case with 3.5 PHBs. There's consistent demand beating current supply (even with there being LOTS of them in existence.)

nillic

Explorer
I see several posts here saying people would pick these up, my question is why? Pathfinder supports an updated version of these rules that many seem to think work a lot better (I mean Hide AND Move Silently? WHO HIDES LOUDLY!?).

This would be like people buying 3.0 books while 3.5 is out and supported.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases