Blue Grotto of Capri
blue-grotto-capri-italy-2.jpg

Cueva de Villa Luz
WLHPD00Z.jpg

Blue Hole of Belize
bluewhole.jpg

Yora

Legend
I almost mistook that for one is was to in the same area. The coast is full of submerged caves and one day while swimming, a local showed us one right next to the super-tiny beach we were it, in which you could actually just swim inside. It's really cool.

The lightning of the Blue Grotto is quite cool, but otherwise it's a really nondescript and quite boring cave. There are much more spectacular all over the area.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
That ossuary church in Czech Republic freaks me out :)

Here's a picture from Forestiere Underground Gardens in Fresno, CA; they were the brainchild of Sicilian immigrant Baldassare Forestiere who hand dug most of the tunnels guided by overwhelming visions over the course of 40 years. Talk about a labor of love!

undergrd-garden.jpg

What's amazing about them is the micro-climates he created by digging underground, allowing him to grow all kinds of fruits, vegetables, and nuts year-round that neighboring farmers struggled with.

Pictures of this place were part of my inspiration for the architecture of the Dwarven cities in my post-Apocalyptic setting: a meteoric bombardment had devastated the sirface world, and as many cultivated crops failed, the elves used magic to transform themselves into part-plant beings in order to be able to photosynthesize directly. As the dwares also died out, leaving behind only the Inheritors (the few psionic dearves who- Cybermen/Dalek-like- had transferred their minds into Warforged bodies), the two dwindling races became allies.

Rooms like the one pictured were where the Elves gathered to "eat".

Then there is The Gates of Hell: http://atlasobscura.com/place/the-gates-of-hell

Derren

Hero
Something for post apocalypse rpgs
[sblock]
zone_0043_pripyat.jpg

kladbishe02.jpg

kladbishe03.jpg

[/sblock]
But there are some places where pictures would hardly describe or evoke the feelings you get when you actually are there.

For example like this one:
[sblock]
dachau.gif

[/sblock]

Aeolius

Adventurer
The lightning of the Blue Grotto is quite cool, but otherwise it's a really nondescript and quite boring cave. There are much more spectacular all over the area.

I have always liked this bit of lore, regarding the Blue Grotto:
"It is believed that, in the Roman period, under the rule of Tiberius, the interior of the Grotta Azzurra was used as a marine nymphaeum. There have been those who imagined the cave as the habitat of Nereidi or of Sirens or believed it to be the realm of devils who bewitched all who dared to enter."

and Roman Statues Found in Blue Grotto

Recently, in my online game, I used the interior of the Blue Grotto as the inspiration for the interior of a hollow zaratan shell floating in the sea.

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
Cueva de los Cristales in Mexico is a really crazy place.

crystal-cave-615.jpg
Whoa. The scale of those crystals boggles my mind!

I've been in the underground salt mine cathedral in Zipaquira Colombia. It was amazing.

Zipaquira-Salt-Cathedral.jpg

And then there's the Richat Structure in Mauritania, in the Sahara - or as I like to think of it, Earth's eye:

Richat_.jpg
Two new travel destinations for me! What's the scale on the Richat Structure? That's amazing.

Pictures of this place were part of my inspiration for the architecture of the Dwarven cities in my post-Apocalyptic setting: a meteoric bombardment had devastated the sirface world, and as many cultivated crops failed, the elves used magic to transform themselves into part-plant beings in order to be able to photosynthesize directly. As the dwares also died out, leaving behind only the Inheritors (the few psionic dearves who- Cybermen/Dalek-like- had transferred their minds into Warforged bodies), the two dwindling races became allies.

Rooms like the one pictured were where the Elves gathered to "eat".
That's mind-bending... When I went what struck me is how much cooler the low rooms were and how air circulation was manipulated... If you ever have a few hours to kill in Fresno worth a visit.

I guess we can thank the Soviets natural gas drilling for that one ;)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
That's mind-bending... When I went what struck me is how much cooler the low rooms were and how air circulation was manipulated... If you ever have a few hours to kill in Fresno worth a visit.

Check out how African termites keep their mounds cool, even during the summer months (and how we're starting to apply that knowledge):

Green Building in Zimbabwe Modeled After Termite Mounds | Inhabitat - Sustainable Design Innovation, Eco Architecture, Green Building
Cool Termites | PlanetSEED

I've toyed with making my dwarves build like this...

Last edited:

Remove ads