D&D 5E Of Fighters and Sammiches

RedShirtNo5.1

Explorer
"Aioli" might sound like some fancy new condiment, but if you leave out the flavorings, it's just mayo. Folks who want their expertise dice spread as plain damage bonus mayo can have that.
It seems to me that what CNN has gotten used to is a turkey sandwich with the 3.5 cranberry chutney. It's fine to prefer your sandwich with chutney, but don't go claiming that what you like is plain turkey and swiss.
He's also confused flatbread with a sweet roll that was baked in a square loaf, but that's another matter.
:)

Tovec

Explorer
"Aioli" might sound like some fancy new condiment, but if you leave out the flavorings, it's just mayo. Folks who want their expertise dice spread as plain damage bonus mayo can have that.
It seems to me that what CNN has gotten used to is a turkey sandwich with the 3.5 cranberry chutney. It's fine to prefer your sandwich with chutney, but don't go claiming that what you like is plain turkey and swiss.
He's also confused flatbread with a sweet roll that was baked in a square loaf, but that's another matter.
:)

You may have been carrying that analogy a little too far. I didn't get any of this.
Like, where did CNN come from?

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
I'm not sure this is better. It's like they put secret sauce on the wrap, and then serve it with a side of extra sauce to dip it in while you eat it. :D

Heh, fair enough.

To be fair, the flatbread (grid-based game) started way back in 2E, and really came to the forefront with the advent of 3E. And I play 3.5E more than any other edition these days. So the flatbread sandwich is not unique to 5E. I was just hoping this deli would be different, that's all.

Ah, that makes sense. 3e was my first edition so I tend to take that as a baseline.

Obviously I can't change your preferences, but am I to understand that the fighter you want looks like this?

HP: 1d10 per level. (meat)
Proficient in all weapons and armor. (cheese)
Does an extra 2 with weapon attacks. (mayo)
(The bread is the rules of the game, since everyone uses pretty much the same bread.)

Perhaps with a few tweaks to the numbers. But that's all you want?

In a game where this is the fighter, what design space is left for people who want black pepper turkey with mustard and dill pickles on a toasted panini?

Or Italian-seasoning grilled ham and cheddar with bread and butter chips on multigrain bread?

Or basil chicken pesto and mozzarella on a ciabatta?

Or sliced bananas and nutella on wonderbread with the crusts removed?

What I'm saying is, I already had lunch but this thread makes me want to eat and I kind of hate it.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Obviously I can't change your preferences, but am I to understand that the fighter you want looks like this?
Sort of.

The meat and bread is the basic concept of the class (the fighter hitting things with weapons). Without these you don't have a sandwich...you have something else entirely.

The cheese is all of the essential stuff that binds the bread and meat together...skills and feats, for example. Without them you still have a sandwich, but most might think it was unsatisfying. (That said, lots of people take a "less is more" approach to sandwich building, and they prefer to leave the cheese out. That's cool too.) When I describe the cheese, I'm describing the skills/feats/weapon mastery/themes/etc.

The mayo is the extra stuff, all of the bells and whistles that are added solely to enhance the flavor of the sandwich, that you can't exactly scrape off if you don't want it. Some people think that the fighter is too dry and bland without special abilities (or powers, or maneuvers, spells, whatever) each round, for example, while others think that these things overpower the flavor of the class, and make it taste like something different. (Or worse: they make it taste like everything else on the menu.)

I know that the analogy starts to wear a little thin after a while. But this is what I was going for, more or less.

Or basil chicken pesto and mozzarella on a ciabatta?
Or sliced bananas and nutella on wonderbread with the crusts removed?
Now that is just evil.
*tummyrumble*

Last edited:

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Actually, I prefer the BECM turkey and swiss, but lack of availability has forced me to settle for the 3.5E deli and its cranberry chutney.

But enjoy the sweetrolls. I hear they are delicious.

Grydan

First Post
To borrow your metaphor for a moment...

Let's say I walk into a deli for a turkey sandwich. I look on the menu board and see that if I want to get a roast beef sandwich instead, I have a wide variety of breads, condiments, cheeses and other fixings I can choose from, ranging from the pedestrian to the gourmet. Further down the menu board, I see the ham sandwich gives me an entirely different, but equally broad selection. The same goes for the chicken sandwiches, the egg salad sandwiches, the tuna sandwiches...

...but when I find the turkey sandwich, the only turkey sandwich on the menu is turkey, swiss cheese, and mayo on whole wheat. No substitutions allowed.

I'm going to start to wonder what, exactly, is the deli's issue with turkey sandwiches.

I mean, there's nothing wrong with someone wanting a nice and simple turkey sandwich, but not only are there many different kinds of nice and simple turkey sandwiches (my spin on the metaphor suffers here due to the fact I love the concept of fighters, but am not in the slightest bit fond of turkey sandwiches... though my preference in that department would be cranberries and stuffing, rather than mayo and swiss) there are also numerous more complex turkey sandwiches that could and indeed should be on the menu.

I mean, I'm sure some of the folks who like the idea of roast beef sandwiches would love to have a simple roast beef sandwich, but that doesn't mean we take the options away from them.

Further complicating the issue is that all of these sandwiches cost exactly the same. I have to pay every bit as much for that simple turkey sandwich as the other fellow has to pay for his gourmet ham sandwich piled with exotic ingredients. My sandwich has fewer options, less interesting flavour, and certainly required less work to put together, yet costs the same. Furthermore, often in the past these other sandwiches have been larger and more filling than the turkey sandwich.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases