Welcome to the Game-Night Kitchen!

jcayer

Explorer
Tonight we're celebrating 4 years of adventuring, so I took the plunge.
Shish-kabob. Beef, chicken, peppers, mushrooms, and potatoes on the grill. I don't expect any leftovers.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
When i was going to law school, i created something I called 4 Can Cassarole:

1 lg can of potatoes
1 can of green beans
1 can of tomatoes
1 can of Cream of Mushroom soup.

Dump in pot in order. Season to taste. Bake.

It was literally an open cans, dump in pot Cassarole, so prep time is entirely dependent upon the speed of your can opener.

Today, however, I'm a bit less time sensitive, so I always use fresh potatoes, usually use fresh or frozen green beans, and occasionally use fresh tomatoes.

In addition, since I don't have the liquid from the canned potatoes & green beans to use, I add a can of low-sodium chicken broth. Sometimes, I add fresh chopped mushrooms for additional flavor.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
When i was going to law school, i created something I called 4 Can Cassarole:

1 lg can of potatoes
1 can of green beans
1 can of tomatoes
1 can of Cream of Mushroom soup.

Dump in pot in order. Season to taste. Bake.

It was literally an open cans, dump in pot Cassarole, so prep time is entirely dependent upon the speed of your can opener.

Today, however, I'm a bit less time sensitive, so I always use fresh potatoes, usually use fresh or frozen green beans, and occasionally use fresh tomatoes.

In addition, since I don't have the liquid from the canned potatoes & green beans to use, I add a can of low-sodium chicken broth. Sometimes, I add fresh chopped mushrooms for additional flavor.

Throw some hamburger and bacon in there, and it would be perfect.:D

(...though my blood pressure would likely disagree...:()

Gilladian

Adventurer
Red Cabbage Crockpot

My husband hates cabbage, but just recently we ate at a German restaurant that served red cabbage and apples with just about everything. He tasted it and REALLY liked it.

This is a cheap, filling dish for 4-6. It takes all day to cook, so start it in the morning...

Coarsely shred 1 medium red cabbage (Discard outer leaves and the core/stem end).

Chop 1 large onion (about 1/2 lb) and two medium apples (about 1 lb). The apples should be tart. Don't use Red Delicious! I used Fuji, but Macs or Granny Smiths will be okay. Make sure you remove the seeds and cores from the apples when you quarter them. Then slice each quarter into about three pieces. Crush two garlic cloves and throw them in.

For seasoning: blend 2 cups of water (or red wine if you have it on hand) with 2 Tablespoons of red wine vinegar (apple cider vinegar or even white vinegar work in a pinch), and 1/4 teaspoon each of the following spices: cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and ginger. Omit up to 2 of them if you don't have them, but add more of the others to make up the difference. You can also add caraway seeds and/or thyme if you like them. Add 2 tablespoons of brown sugar, and stir til the spices are all mixed, and the sugar dissolved.

Pour the liquid/seasoning mix over the shredded cabbage/apple/onion mix in the crockpot. Turn on high for an hour or until it is simmering really well, then turn down to low and leave it alone (covered) for at least 4 hours, preferably 8 hours.

You can do this on the stovetop if you have no crockpot - cook for 2-3 hours at a simmer.

You can add pork sausages or whole pork chops if you have room in your slow cooker - mine was so full it never would have fit, but you may have a bigger one... just brown the meat first if you want it to have a meaty flavor, or just plop it in if you're in a hurry.

Sialia

First Post
Further thought on grilled cheese: cut a hole in the middle of the sandwich with a biscuit cutter before you grill it, and crack an egg into the hole once it's on the skillet. Mmmm. Crispyness, gooeyness and drippiness.

Sialia

First Post
Interlude: Poemy slow food ode for gamers

Waycake's fine for a wandering elf--
I heard one say so, and who's to doubt her?
Some like blisters and dry cold rations,
But a halfling likes beer and chowder.

Hardtack's for orcs and biscuits for dwarves,
Breaking teeth or bread, whichever's louder,
And humans'll eat most anything,

So draw me a pint and fill me a bowl,
And build the fire up stouter,
Travel's fine for the adventuring sort,

Sialia

First Post
Chowder with Beer. Ale, actally. Or Vermouth, if you must you wine drinking elf type

Fishing is fine for the sort who like getting wet. This is a vegetarian version for those who prefer digging in the dirt. Throw fish in it if you like it better that way.

(another favorite cook in advance, leave it on the stove until needed, serves many cheap recipe)

Olive oil in medium hot pan, chopped onions and potatoes into the hot oil, stir until coated w/oil, then let rests a while. When the bottoms are golden, sitr 'em around and let the other side toast.

When the onions and potatoes are slightly browned, add a tablespoon of flour and a fair amount of salt and thyme. Stir it all around together until the flour is absorbed into the taters. Throw a half glass of Newcastle Brown Ale (or vermouth) into the pan and stir that in a bit, and then turn down the heat and add enough milk to cover the potatoes completely, and drink the rest of the Newcastle, and stir. Leave it on low a while, and add a shake or two of Worcestershire sauce and some crumbled or shredded cheddar or colby jack. A spoonful of cream cheese isn't a bad idea neither. Nor a shot of Tabasco if you like that sort of thing--the vinegar helps keep the cheese from getting stringy, and o'course, it tastes like Tabascy.

Scrape the bottom of the pot from time to time to make sure it aint't sticking. SHould be all thick and creamy now. Go ahead and add whatever precooked veggies you've a mind to, a half-bag of the frozen stuff works fine. I like limas and corn. If you're a fish eater, throw that in the pot. Leave it on a slow simmer until the fish & veg is cooked warm through (could be as little as 5-10 minutes). Adjust salt, add lots fresh ground black pepper, maybe a little more thyme. Taste it a couple times. Have another ale. Serve. Or like, leave it on low heat until GM says you may safely leave the table without bitter repurcussions.

Last edited:

Rune

Once A Fool
BTW, good idea, adding a ToC!

Thanks. It was always my intention to provide a convenient resource with this thread.

What I didn't anticipate was that there would be a bunch of other people's recipes posted, also. This was unexpected, but awesome!

Pretty quickly, I realized that there were going to be more of other folks' recipes than my own. At that point, I realized I'd better start linking to them in my first post, or no one would be able to find them when they wanted to (without sifting through the entire thread, that is)!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases